Costa Mediterranea 11/14-11/21 Question

medevac222

Hello,

My wife and I are taking the Costa Mediterranea cruise in November and I was wondering if anyone had some good advice for this trip. What to bring what to look out for or any tips that would be helpful on our cruise. I have read many threads on the poor food and the types of food served on this ship. I am not sure if this is due to a European style meal selection or just bad food. I currently live in Europe and have been living here for more than 4 years. If it is just the type of food that is the issue, than I do not think we will have a problem since we eat it every day. Just looking for good advice from anyone who has taken the cruise out of Sicily.:D

Hello,

If it is any help, my wife & I cruised on the Costa Med. from Venice earlier this month (3rd October returning 10th).

We had also been reading the forums for months before, with bad reviews about food & sometimes service.

We both decided some weeks before sailing that we were going to enjoy come what may !

This is what we found:

Service:

Absolutely faultless, staff extremely helpful, most service staff (cabin & food/restaurant areas) are not Italian, and speak several languages, simply reply to the smile and "good morning" with your own language, and that is the language the reply will come back in. The only Italian Officer we met was the Captain, Massimo Garbarino who was charming, welcoming, and obviously genuine.

Food:

There are 3 MAIN eating areas on board

Perla del Largo Restaurant: on deck 9

This is a self service buffet area, but with separate areas for grill & Pizzeria.

We found this very much a mixed bag, my wife was not keen on most of what was served here, she found it too greasy, I would not have gone hungry though !

The main 2 deck restaurant Argentieri: on decks 2 & 3

This is where we went for most breakfasts, most lunches, and all but one Dinner.

At home I am the cook, and particularly love cooking and eating fish/seafood, so I made it a personal crusade to sample as many of these dishes as I could find. (and there were many). Most were very good, some really excellent, and I had just one dissapointment, on one starter I thought my oysters were overcooked.

A note about frozen fish/seafood;

have read some comments about the use of frozen produce in this forum.

Of course frozen fish is used. In my own home I use mostly frozen fish, (<-18C) bought from a known supplier, stored and kept at the correct temperature, and then defrosted properly, who can use anything else ?

- Apart from the lucky few within shouting difference of a 'proper' fishing port that is !

The decay/putrification enzymes present in most fish are not even slowed down by normal refrigeration temperatures. (I mean fridge NOT freezer here)

So if I owned Costa line, my fish would also be bought (from a known GOOD supplier),properly frozen, then defrosted properly, prepared, and cooked just in time for the table, ...... and it is........ and it works.........ENJOY !

Club Medusa Restaurant (normal extra cover charge €20/person)

We ate here on one evening:

Hmmmm....... Yes

I think we were becoming spoilt here, was on the 5th night of the cruise, after havin had 4 nights of the food and service in Argentieri, here you have superlative view, immaculate service, and menu is .........erm.... excellent.

SUMMARY

We are a British couple, had an absolutely wonderful time on the Costa Mediterranea, and would not hesitate to recommend to anyone, and I did not even mention the afternoon teas, with pizza, or the midnight feasts, which despite promising ourselves to, we never made.............too old you see.

L&D

Any specifics about ports of call, etc ........just ask ..... Bon Voyage all !

Thank you so much for the good information. Glad to hear that someone enjoyed their trip and had a good experience. I am flying into Venice via Ryan Air. How do you get to the port from the airport? We are coming in a day early to see some of Venice and take our time getting to the port. Any good tips on how to get from the airport to the port without a big hassle? Was there anything that was a must see at any of the ports along the trip? I have travelled all over Europe and know some of the stops, but I was currious if there was something that you would clasify as a must see. Thanks again for the good information. I have printed your reply and added to our paperwork for reference.

Costa arranged our air tickets as well, so then also transferred us from airport to port (via coach), but it is also possible to go directly from the airport to port via water taxi, at the port Costa also offer the facilities to go into Venice and then return later in the afternoon (by 16:30 I think), luggage being delivered from coach to cabin by Costa staff. At the end of your cruise you also have the option (if time before your flight), to leave luggage in safe store at port, (must be back to pick up before 18:00 though), and pick up one of their return trips into Venice (they run every 30 mins).

Must see in Port:

Instanbul was our favourite (despite the fact that it rained all day, Costa provided all their excursion takers with those little disposable ponchos with hood, which worked surprisingly well) (We took the Super Istanbul excursion)

Hagia Sophia

Blue Mosque

Justinian's Cistern

and also the Great Bazaar.

A fabulous unforgettable (whole) day !

My second favourite was Ehesus.

My wifes was Dubrovnik, - very, very beautiful. (But DON'T go on an excursion - you will see much more of the place just wandering around the shops, churches, sampling restaurants, and going up on the walls.

We actually went on an excursion at each of the ports, and all had something to offer, but the Dubrovnik one was not very well organized, there was another cruise ship our size in port, as well as a smaller masted vessel (Wind Star I think), so excursion parties were continually tripping over each other and waiting to get into each of the 'highlights' of the tour.

L&D

Archived