Shuttles in Venice

sea-explorer

I've read mixed reports of the availability of shuttles from Piazzale Roma to the dock in Venice. I'm not sure if these shuttles are provided by the particular cruise lines or if they are Port shuttles. I get the impression they don't run everyday.

Has anyone here, particularly anyone who has sailed on the Musica or Poesia recently, used one of these shuttles? Is it worth waiting for/trying to track one down or should we just look for a taxi?

We will be on the Poesia, leaving Venice on a Saturday. Thanks for your help. :)

Hi again Sparky:

Don't know if this helps or not, but is the Plaza Roma, the same place where all the Venice buses come in?

If so, we took the shuttle back and forth from the Musica on the Sunday.

There were tons of buses coming and going, mainly local with locals going to other parts of Venice, and the shuttle came in to the furthest side - past the small concession booths - from there about a 5 minute (if that!) ride to the terminal.

By the way, the "shuttle" looks like an ordinary "tour" bus, with luggage space underneath.

We noticed that Costa reps seemed to be meeting groups of passengers at the train station and then walking them over to the shuttle (it may have even had a costa sign on it, but it was for everyone) - so maybe look for a "Costa" parade and follow along.

Or just look for a touristy group of people standing around with luggage, or loading luggage underneath a bus.

The shuttle seemed to come/go every 15 or 20 minutes (maybe more often) on the Sunday), but there didn't seemed to be a marked post for where it came in - that's why look for the touristy group, or costa-carrying sign woman.

Good luck - looking forward to your reviews when you come back.

CA

Hi Booked. :)

That certainly is a help..at least I know where to look. I've just checked port time & the costa ship is in with the Musica on Sundays, it will be Splendour of the Seas in with us, but it sounds like one shuttle for all.

Not too long to go now as we are now in August. We fly out two weeks next Thursday, so perhaps it's time to start selectively printing off all the info I've been collecting for so long. I'll try to report back, but watch out as once I get started I do tend to gabble a lot. :D

Thanks. :)

• 2 weeks later...

We just did this yesterday... When we were trying to get from the train station TO the ship on Saturday, all was fine. We got off the train, took a somewhat pricey water bus (not taxi, waterbus) to La Roma (though we all got split up and my young children were almost sent on the waterbus without me because the worker tried to stop the line... My friend got separated from her daughter, but luckily, I was on the bus and she just came with me), and got on the free shuttle to the Venice Port. It is for all cruise lines, not just MSC. The shuttle was there, we put our bags in the baggage area, and took a seat.

When we were trying to get from the ship to the train station a week later after our cruise, it was maddness. EVERYONE trying to get a shuttle to La Roma to catch the waterbus. It was insane and the people do not care about making lines or waiting their turn. We waited FOREVER because people would shove me and my children out of the way, and we ended up getting so frustrated that we just walked a few steps over and booked a water taxi with another family we were traveling with. 8 people and lots of bags... 110 Euros. So we split it 55/55 Euros. Way worth it and it took us straight to the train station and we did not have to hassle with more water bus passes.

Welcome back PurpleRain. :)

Thank you, and for your response on the other thread too. It was very helpful. As our flight times are tight on the way home, I have pre-empted this & booked a taxi, so hopefully there will be one waiting for us with our name on when we debark. Just hope we will find our luggage easily enough. :rolleyes:

I was looking at the webcams last week and then remembered you were on the ship & wished you 'bon voyage'.

If you are anything like me you will now be busy unpacking, washing, etc etc. I really do hope you enjoyed your experience and look forward to any input you may want to give when you have the time. :)

Archived