110%???

gill_boo

Can someone tell me how a ship sails at 110% capacity? Are people sleeping in the theatre at night after the shows, or perhaps the lido deck on the deck chairs? LOL

Occupancy rates are based on just 2 people in a cabin. So if there are 3-5 people in a cabin they can easily have more than an avg of 2 in each cabin.

I think the doublE occupancy number for Conquest class ships is 2974, but they can have as many as 3700 if all cabins are filled with the maximum amount allowed by the USCG.

The same way a ship can sail full but still have cabins empty.

Fantasy capacity is 2056 as it has 1028 cabins at double occupancy. But she can hold 2640 passengers with 3/4/5 to a cabin.

Dave

Can someone tell me how a ship sails at 110% capacity?

It's just a matter of the way they define they terms. The official listing of "Capacity" is only based on double-occupency. But there is no mass market cruise ship that doesn't have some portion of cabins that can accommodate up to 4 people.

The actual maximum number of people the ship is built to accommodate (and the reason not every cabin is equiped with 2 upper berths) is based on things like the lifeboat capacity, how they handle sanitation & waste, fire safety and other things.

It is possible to find both capacity numbers out on the web for a given ship. For example on this site you can see that the Miracle (picked as a random example) has an official capacity of 2124, but a max of 2680.

http://www.ship-technology.com/projects/carnival_miracle/specs.html

I've never seen a chart of the ratio of max/official for all ships, but I think 120% is normal for modern cruise ships.

there's an ethnic joke in there.... nah, i won't go there, LOL:D

But I also hear there are many singles in one stateroom, so that would kinda throw the figures off even more.

occupancy is based on 2 people per room - some families get 4-5 in a room with the drop down beds and roll-aways.

Archived