laptop info.please help

Toni12345

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/On_Board_Internet_Cafes.aspx

Internet Café Price List

We have several options available to guests wishing to use the internet service. the below options are available. Please note that the internet pricing options* are identical, whether an Internet Café terminal is utilized, or a laptop.

• An initial one-time Activation Fee of $3.95 applies to each user.

• A basic time charge of $0.75 per minute ("Pay-As-You-Go") is available. Minutes are rounded to the next full minute.

Discounted Time Plans

Discounted Time Plans offer guests the opportunity to enjoy a lower per-minute rate. These Time Plans do not have to be used in a single session and can be used anytime throughout the cruise until debarkation. Please note that there is no refund for unused minutes on these Time Plans and upgrading selected pricing options is not available. Plans are subject to change.

Cruises less than six days in length:

• 30 minutes for $16.50 ($0.55 per minute)

• 60 minutes for $24.00 ($0.40 per minute)

Cruises six days in length and longer:

• 100 minutes for $55.00 ($0.55 per minute)

• 250 minutes for $100.00 ($0.40 per minute)

If you are not taking your laptop for more than internet then you may want to rethink the hassle of taking it. Be advised internet is slower than dial-up everywhere on the ship. If you want it for downloading pictures from you camera, watching DVD or playing games then it is worth carrying it, otherwise think about using the internet cafe.

Using a laptop for internet access can be cheaper then the onboard internet cafe.

Here is the trick. Log on, get your email, log off. Go through your email compose responses, or new emails. Log on send your stuff, log off.

Using the laptop to upload pictures to the web is not a wise proposition money wise, however in most ports you can pop off the ship to do your uploads at an onshore internet cafe. Sometimes you can get lucky and pick up an onshore hotspot from on the ship whilst you are docked, you would have to be on an open deck or a balcony though as a ship can be a big farady cage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage

On the Glory, I was able to connect with the internet on my laptop in my cabin (7275). I don't know if the WiFi signal is in all cabins, but it was in that one, which is midship. However, on the other ships, I've had to go to a public area or to the Internet Cafe to use my laptop. On my last cruise, my laptop battery died, so I had to plug in to use it. I ended up using the ship's computers, because it was easier than trying to find a plug on a public deck. I think from now on, I will leave the laptop at home, unless I know I will be able to connect from my cabin.

Oh, by the way, be prepared to take your laptop out of whatever you carry it in when you go through security at embarkation.

I think I'll leave it home. Trying to figure if if was cheaper to use laptop or cell phones...

Using the laptop costs the same as using the ship's computers. When I communicate from the ship, I make a generic type email and send it to all of the people I need to stay in contact with. It's quicker that way, so I save the minutes. I think using the computer would cost a lot less than cell phone. But you can use the ship's computer and not have to carry that heavy laptop around. I have heard horror stories about the bills people get after using their cell phone onboard! :eek:

AT&T wireless told us the following:

$4.99 per minute on the ship

$1.99 per minute Jamaica

$1.99 per minute Grand Caymans

$1.99 per minute Cozumel

If you are too close to the ship in port, you may get charged the on ship price of $4.99 per minute.

Outrageous.

yes, cell phone is outrageous. I just need to make a few calls to my mother to make sure she's doing well. I do have an international phone card for $20 I got a long time ago, do they have payphones on ship?

While it may seem expensive to use a cell phone, its cheap if you consider the alternatives. Remember you are out in the middle of the ocean.

No you cant use calling cards on the ship

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Telephone_Communication.aspx

For our guest's convenience, the ship's telecommunications network offers direct dialing via satellite from the staterooms telephone. This is available 24 hours a day regardless of the ship's location. This service is closed on the final day of the cruise at 4:00AM. The rate is $6.99 per minute for calls to the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico and $9.99 per minute for all International calls. All charges are billed to the guest's on board Sail and Sign Card. Since all communication is via satellite, guests cannot use calling cards, credit cards, dial 800 toll-free numbers nor make a collect calls. Instructions and rates can be found in the cabin's directory.

Archived