Tahiti-departure day question

lam7609

Hi, I am new to the star clipper line and to Tahiti. It looks like I will be doing this solo and am trying to get all the fine details ironed out to calm my nerves (enabling much accepted and appreciated, i.e. "it will be fine, you'll have a great time, etc... ; ) I checked with Star Clippers about the days rooms at Radisson and they said it was $105/pp, but since I was solo, it would be $210. This was to share an communal hospitality room w/chairs and luggage storage. Is this worth it? Any other ideas for that last day on Tahiti that would be safe for a lone female?

Thanks

I'm going in early December. We needed a day room on the last day because we are on the 10:00PM departure back to LAX. Anyway, I found that the Sofitel by the airport is doing an early booking deal, $156 with tax per room. That's a deal considering I paid about $120 in 1995 at the same hotel.

Very nice place right on the beach five minutes from the airport. They say it's a 1:00PM check-in but since we are leaving that night I hope to get a bit of leeway on that.

Have fun, we will. This is our second Star Clipper cruise.

Cheers

Pat

We just came back from Tahiti on Star Clipper and the use of the room was included in the price of our trip. We definitely didn't book it ourselves and didn't pay the Radisson anything directly. I don't know how we got that, but most everyone on our cruise went to the Radisson, which was very nice, as part of a package deal. I would ask your travel agent to check in to it, or if you booked through Star Clipper yourself see if they have it as part of the package.

• 1 month later...

Hi Karyn, I am also going on Star Flyer Nov 9, with another traveling/sailing buddy. I have gone a few times on Star Clipper family ships solo, and it is just fine, you will have a blast. Relax,,, by the end of the trip you will have friends to spend the last evening with! So now we know of 3 of us going,, you, me and my friend Rhena. See ya in Tahiti! :cool: Gail

Nice to meet you Gail! I am getting really excited about the trip too. I will be staying at the IC in Tahiti for 2 nights prior and plan to do a lot of snorkeling/beach time from the ship. Did I read correctly that you are from Austin, tx? My best friend lives in San Marcos. Some great outlet shopping there! Can't wait to meet you both!

Karyn

Hi All! Couple of things that may help....

If you book your air with Star Clippers, the post day room at the Radisson is included & it is an individual room. If you are doing your post cruise stay at the Radisson, you have a 3PM checkout, but can stay in your room until time for your transfer(6:30 ish) for an additional $70. We did this as we hung around the beach all day & was nice to be able to clean up & pack just before it is time to leave. The Radisson is also much nicer than the Sofitel.

Now, for some hints on Air Tahiti Nui. First...do call & confirm reservations 48 hrs prior to leaving. We failed to do this on the flight to Papeete & our window seats became center section seats at the back of the bus. Second, try & get exit row(Rows 10 & 31, seats A,B,K or L. If that fails try Bulkhead(Rows 10 & 30, seats D,E or F,G. You'll get much more legroom in any of these seats. The bulkhead center section is better than the normal window seats, because once you take off, there isn't much to see until you land:D The exit row seats are the ticket though. The first time we went to Tahiti we were able to get 31 A&B on the flight there...no luck coming back. This past trip, you know what happened going, but coming back was able to get 30 D&E and it was great..was actually able to get some sleep on the way back. They will only assign these seats at the gate prior to departure. It's very hit & miss, so don't count on getting these seats, but if it does happen it's a great perk!

One other thing, the food going is pretty good, was on both trips. The food coming back, not so good....try to get a bite prior to going to the airport if you can...of course, drinks are free which helps the bad food go down;)

Mike

Thanks also for the info. Gail, I am from the Indianapolis, IN area. I will tell you all about the ic tahiti when we meet onboard. Can't decide if I want to just hang out at the hotel on Saturday or try a daytrip to Moorea. Does anyone know if we have to pick up baggage in LA and take it to Bradley terminal or if it goes straight through?

Karyn:D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi together,

first of all you can expect a great adventure in the SouthSeas. Star Clippers is now well established there and the crew on this beautiful small tall ship is very kind. Travelling allone with Star Clippers means, the whole ship is very familiar, after a couple of days you met a couple of nice persons both in crew and passengers. Polynesia is one of the world's paradises and perfect for sailing with a tall ship. Not even for female singles, especially Papeete is not the best place to walk arund allone (at night). But after your cruise you will have enought friends you will be able to join and there are some nice spots. But take care of the Thaitian shemales, they sometimes can be a bit tough (and funny):D . Some bars are full of them. Except of Papeete, Polynesia is a nearly crimeless area with the friendliest people I met around the world and a perfect spot for sailing and diving. Have fun in the middle of nowhere. Greetings from Germany.

PS: Don't miss: ATV-Tour Moorea!!!, Bloody Mary's Bar & Helmlet Diving Bora Bora, Jungle Hike in Raiatea, ask the Cruise Director for Jet Ski in Moorea and if you play Golf, play the Jack Nicklaus course in Moorea!

Archived