Med Discovery on Island Escape Cruise

bulgaria08

We are booked on the Island Escape for 7 days on 2nd September. Can anyone tell me what are the best excursions and if it is possible to go to Rome without going on the recommended tour. Any hints that would make the cruise more enjoyable would be appreciated.

Hi,

For Rome it is possible to go by train but we did the "Rome Alone" tour which dropped us off at the Vatican and then we were free to do what ever we wanted for the day. I'm a coward and wouldn't risk the train on such a long journey (approx an hour) just in case there was a problem coming back - it would be pretty expensive trying to use a taxl! I think there are details of where to get the train etc on this site somewhere but sorry can't find it at the moment.

Have done a tour at Villefranche to Monaco/Monte Carlo but it is very easy to get a train to either Monaco/Monte Carlo or Nice from Villefranche. The train station is about 10 minutes walk from the tender point and the train journey to either place takes about 15 minutes (and are frequent). We will be doing this later this month and I costed it up as 12 Euro's for 5 Adults return to Monaco/Monte Carlo. Of course, if your cruise docks at Nice instead of Villefranche then you may just want to stay there?

We didn't do tours at the other places -

Olbia, we just bussed it in to town but there wasn't much there - didn't help that it was pouring with rain! I would recommend doing a tour here if possible as you will need to get off the boat after your day at sea.

La Spezia - I did a 4 hour cycle ride so can't comment too much on this place.

Menorca - I went on the horseriding trip as I had never been on a horse, so again can't really help with other tours.

As for Palma, we did the bus tour the 1st time we were there but after that we have walked into town - but it is quite far.

Regards....Steve

• 2 weeks later...
Rome without going on the recommended tour. Any hints that would make the cruise more enjoyable would be appreciated.

Hi we've been on the Island Escape twice and both times did Rome our selves as did a lot of the cruise passengers.

We got the train from Civitavecchia to Rome central the first time then worked our way across Rome to the Vatican then to the Trevi fountain.

The second time we went we got off at the San Perdo station which was much closer to the Vatican (the name should have been the clue:o ) again we went to Trevi the down to the Colosseum, the waiting time for the tour was 45 mins so we just walked around it before getting the sub way from there back to Rome Central and back to Civitavecchia.

We managed this with plenty of time to look around Civitavecchia.

If you take the tours of Rome you don't get to see the Trevi Fountain as some of our friends found out to their cost.

The best advice i can give is get up very early to get into Rome as early as possible and buy a good map of Rome before you go and wear good shoes.

We've never taken any of the trips preferring to be independent and have see a lot more of the sites and culture, its nothing to do with the prices it has always been more exciting.

Geo N Jan

Next cruise 14 nights on the Ocean Village sailing 21/08/08

Archived