Airport Departure TAX

infohound

Just thought you should know that as of the 1st July 2008 there is now no need to pay the $25 departure TAX at Auckland airport, this great way to send off our international visitors with a smile in their eye [ i dont think] has now been removed. Instead the charge is actually included in the air line ticket. So dont let anyone con you into paying it again.

Also today the mid rate NZ to US dollars fell to $0.73 US to $1.00 NZ, and we hope it goes lower so that the tourists get more suck for their buck so to speak.

If you need any help or advice on NZ and the ports of call pleased to help.:)

Infohound,

We are on a cruise with the following ports: Auckland, Tauranga, Napier, Wellington, Christchurch and Dunedin. We do not take excursions in all the ports we visit when we are on a cruise. We like to explore some of the cities on foot. Do you know if the above ports are within walking distance of the cities or if a shuttle bus is provided by the cruise line? I can't find anything that tells me how far the ship docks from the cities. We would probably take excursions in those ports which are too far away from the city to walk. Many thanks.

Jimanne1

Infohound,

We are on a cruise with the following ports: Auckland, Tauranga, Napier, Wellington, Christchurch and Dunedin. We do not take excursions in all the ports we visit when we are on a cruise. We like to explore some of the cities on foot. Do you know if the above ports are within walking distance of the cities or if a shuttle bus is provided by the cruise line? I can't find anything that tells me how far the ship docks from the cities. We would probably take excursions in those ports which are too far away from the city to walk. Many thanks.

Jimanne1

OK, heres some info.

Auckland, the change over port, the ship docks in the centre of the city, next to the Hilton Hotel, about a 5 minute walk to Queen Street, the citys main downtown area and business district.

Tauranga NZ. The ship berth is actually in Mount Maunganui, the city of tauranga is across the water and about a 4 km taxi ride. You can walk to the beach at Pilot Bay in about 5 minutes from the gangway, the ocean beach in about 15 minutes and the main shops at The Mount in about 10 minutes. Often the ship lays on shuttles, some charge a high $8.00 UD for a round trip, some do it FOC. You can get a city bus pass for the whole day for $6.00NZ which is much better, these can be caught outside the visitor information centre at The Mount and tauranga.

Tours can be pre bought through companies [try a google on Shore Trips followed by the port name and you should come up with a few options] or you can try your luck on the day as there will be vehicles available to hire with guides at the port, though these are often soon taken.

Napier NZ, the port berth is a good 20 minute walk and its through the industrial area so you will need to take the ships shuttle or a taxi. Napier is a small city and good to look around on foot once you are in the centre. Would suggest taking the Art Deco walking tour which guides you around the main spots. Winery tours are also popular here, maybe also the Gannet Colony out at Cape Kidnappers.

Wellington NZ - Ship berth is too far really to walk to the city, again through the industrial area. Should be a shuttle service running.

Christchurch NZ - Ship berths at the port of Lyttleton, a good way from the city, shuttles laid on to get you out through the port area, then you can meet up with the tours companies and taxis etc. Probably a 20 minte taxi ride into the main city centre.

Dunedin NZ - the ship stops at Port Chalmers so its quite a way from the city centre, taxi or bus into town,

If you need any more specific info please ask. Would also suggest checking out the cruise review of Mike on the NZ/AUS boards, will try and dig up a link to it for you.

Infohound,

Jimanne1

Heres a link to Mikes cruise review i mentioned. http://www.thepreismans.com/

OK, heres some info.

Wellington NZ - Ship berth is too far really to walk to the city, again through the industrial area. Should be a shuttle service running.

Kia ora ((=greetings),

We lived in Wellington (and Auckland & Dunedin) for a number of years. Regarding Wellington, it is a flat easy walk from where cruise ships dock in Wellington to the downtown area, certainly not what I would consider too far. Also, it is a port area rather than an industrial area you walk along! Auckland is great for access. The grounds of Parliament (interesting architecture) would be one of the few in the world where armed guards are not in evidence! A reflection on the society of AotearoaNZ perhaps?Tauranga, is the port for cruise passengers to visit Rotorua (where we now live), the North Island's 'must see' with its lakes, extensive thermal areas (boiling mud pools, geysers, steaming ground etc) and living Maori culture. Rotorua is about an hours drive from the port. Hope this helps

Ka kite (=See 'you')

Aquariansicon7.gificon7.gif

OK, heres some info.

Kia ora ((=greetings),

We lived in Wellington (and Auckland & Dunedin) for a number of years. Regarding Wellington, it is a flat easy walk from where cruise ships dock in Wellington to the downtown area, certainly not what I would consider too far. Also, it is a port area rather than an industrial area you walk along! Auckland is great for access. The grounds of Parliament (interesting architecture) would be one of the few in the world where armed guards are not in evidence! A reflection on the society of AotearoaNZ perhaps?Tauranga, is the port for cruise passengers to visit Rotorua (where we now live), the North Island's 'must see' with its lakes, extensive thermal areas (boiling mud pools, geysers, steaming ground etc) and living Maori culture. Rotorua is about an hours drive from the port. Hope this helps

Ka kite (=See 'you')

Aquariansicon7.gificon7.gif

I stand corrected, re the Wellington details, its not our home city. True the waterfront is a flat walk, but having spoken with many cruisers what some think is an easy stroll for others is just a little too much. Yes, more PORT than industrial, but that is often much the same thing. Of course once in the city Wellington is renowned for its steep hills, but use the funicular railway up to the Botanical gardens and save the climb. My wife did the free tour of the Parliament buildings last time she was there and siad this was well worthwhile, we call it the Beehive, not to be confused with the cake tin, which is the Rugby Stadium you will walk past when going into the city from the port. Probably also need to allow 75 minutes for the drive to Rotorua from the ship, the road is quite a slow one. Allow some time to stop of at KIWI360 to look at the kiwi fruit orchards and taste some of their great kiwi fruit schnapps, a great way to start your tour.

What ever, have a great time in all of the ports of call.

Archived