Captains Cocktail and Past Guest Party, Both Formal?

IslandToIsland

The Captain's party is held on what is now called "elegant" night. Most of the guests will be in their nicest clothing. The entire evening is referred to as the "Captain's Gala Evening", and it's always held on the second night of the cruise.

The PG party is casual, but I wouldn't wear shorts and tee to it. It's on another night, whichever the CD decides on.

If I were going to the C.P., which I have on past cruises, I would definitely dress formal or least elegant... This is, in my opinion, a FORMAL party held on CRUISE ELEGANT night.. If I were going to follow the minimum dress code, I would not attend, but thats me..I feel this is much more of prestigeous event than dinner...

Just my opinion for what it's worth..

The invitation says the past guest party is smart casual. My PG party on Conquest was at 5 p.m. on the last sea day, so people overall were dressed for dinner. I had late seating dinner, so I just got dressed early that night.

However, some people were dressed almost too casually but I guess they figured they'd blend in since the party was so huge.

Captain's cocktail party is designed to be before dinner, so everyone was dressed nicely.

We do alot of 7 day cruises and it's been our experience that the captain's party is the first formal (elegant) night and that the past guest reception is on the second formal night. I remember cause we always dress up and always have "free drinks" when we're formal.

How do you dress for each of these. I'm assuming the Captains party is a formal event, but what about past guest?

Formal is gone,dead,vanished,ect.

Smart Casual is in.With the extra cost's of luggage on airlines,its not worth bringing extra clothes.Read CCLs guidelines for dressing and you will see that a polo shirt is now fine and even shorts are allowed on most nights.

People want to perpetuate the Formal thing and that is why you are being given the illusion that it is alive and well.

Do you want to be the only one wearing a penguin suit?

Many will chime on and say they still do,but what they write here and actually may do are two different things.

I always wore a tux,until my last cruise and it was just a polo shirt and dress pants.I love the new dress code.

Steve

Cap's Gala is always on "Cruise Elegant" [formerly Formal] night. PG party depends on the number of PG's on that cruise. Most of mine have been at night on the second "Cruise Elegant" [formerly Formal] night. But we only take 7 day or longer cruises, maybe that makes a difference.

Dan

So, now, with so many different answers and opinions, are you totally confused?

You can pretty much wear what you like. They frown on beach or sports wear. Almost anything else is a go!

It's your vacation.....do your thing within reason!

Have you check CCLs site lately? Formal is gone.It has been replaced with Elegant night.A simple polo shirt and pants are fine now.

Steve

Yes, formal is gone.

Yes they did not and do not enforce dress codes much, if at all.

But still people have to stretch the sloppiness. Unless you think a polo shirt is a dress shirt.

From CCL:

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too! Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

Another year or 2 and bathing suits will be worn in the dining room. Then the dining room will become buffet only. The slobs are begging for it and they will get it.

Dan

But still people have to stretch the sloppiness. Unless you think a polo shirt is a dress shirt.

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

I do understand your point of view.You see what they list as permitted,and I see what they list as not.

Yes I think a polo shirt is a dress shirt,for a Caribbean cruise.

You live just South of me, you know the difference between dress and casual is loosing the flip flops and putting on Sandals.:D

If I was from NYC,or some other cool/cold weather business distric,I would agree with you.But we all have geographical definitions of certian things.

Steve

Steveaaa, A polo shirt is casual wear anywhere. Buffalo or Barbados, its still the same shirt and its casual.

Not that casual isn't going to win, it will. There are no corporate cajones left in the world. A few more years and everybody will be as disgustingly sloppy as todays teenie boppers. But without their muscle tone, SAD, SAD.

Dan

Cap's Gala is always on "Cruise Elegant" [formerly Formal] night. PG party depends on the number of PG's on that cruise. Most of mine have been at night on the second "Cruise Elegant" [formerly Formal] night. But we only take 7 day or longer cruises, maybe that makes a difference.

Dan

Most of mine, most of the 7 days, have been on the second formal night and formal. But, I have been on others that were early or stated "Cruise Elegant".

Most of mine, most of the 7 days, have been on the second formal night and formal. But, I have been on others that were early or stated "Cruise Elegant".

Just came back last week from the Pride and the Captain's party was definitely the dressier affair. The past guest reception was supposed to be "smart casual" I believe on our cruise. I wore nice capris and top and hubby wore a sport shirt and khaki slacks. Most were dressed similar but a few had on t-shirts and flip flops. A FEW.

I can honestly say that I noticed less people dressed to "the nines" this year than on previous cruises, especially women. Packing probably has a lot to do with it along with the dress code. I wore a Sunday dress to formal night because I don't have a formal dress and I felt very comfortable. Hubby wore a jacket and tie, but only to the first formal night. He wore a jacket and open shirt to the next one. I saw many men in sport shirts.

As earlier posters have said, you will see it ALL. Personally, I would rather have seen some of the passengers dressed less elegantly with more body contained if you know what I mean. People slam the folks who dress "down" but no one seems to comment on those who dress "less" and I see it every cruise.

I wish I was going back this week and had to worry about what to pack. Have a great time!!

Do you dress up for the burger grill on the aft pool deck too? :D

own any of those baggy cargo , ugly ,slouchy, raggy, sweaty,things. YES, I do look verry nice even on sea days, jewelry and hair done w/full makeup, and on port days, Capri sets. Just Ask DAVE, Jetskier..he has seen me enuff times. shoes and bag for my evening clothes as well. I will tell you tho, a do take a "non-matching" comfy tote bag ashore :D thatz just me,

Archived