Carnival Splendor

Idaho girl

We are also sailing on Splendor on 9/23 - arriving in Rome on the 21. I have been doing a lot of work researching. Some things we are interested in are the Vatican & Borghese Gardens. I am also wondering about the euro exchange

Traveling to Europe for the 1st time...Splendor Sept. 23rd. Rome...should we get Euros in advance? we arrive in Rome Sept. 21st evening...anything a must SEE?

We are also sailing on Splendor on 9/23 - arriving in Rome on the 21. I have been doing a lot of work researching. Some things we are interested in are the Vatican & Borghese Gardens. I am also wondering about the euro exchange

Hi, I noticed that both of you are relatively new. First, welcome to Cruise Critic. :)

Second, you might want to join the Roll Call for other people who are sailing on the same itinerary as you are.

Here is the link. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=568607

Have a great time. :)

Traveling to Europe for the 1st time...Splendor Sept. 23rd. Rome...should we get Euros in advance? we arrive in Rome Sept. 21st evening...anything a must SEE?

You can get Euros at the Rome airport. There are ATMs in the baggage area. I have never had a problem, but some people do buy before they go (will pay more to do so). As for must see -- to much to list :) You will have to be a bit more specific! The roll call has different port ideas.

Both are wonderful! A great time to see the Vatican is really early. We went at sunrise (around 7:30 am in the winter) and we were some of the only people there in the plaza/cathedral. Since it opens earlier than everything else, and you will be jetlagged, sometimes it is a good thing to see the day after you get in, if you wake up really early :)

Yes, like SeattleJen, I would like to welcome you to join our roll call for the Sept. 23rd Splendor cruise. We actually had this discussion on the roll call board. We are all looking forward to going.

Are you going ahead of time or the day of the cruise?

Kathy

For the Vatican, remember the museum is not open on Sundays, and a lot of other days that are significant to the RC church.

Check ahead to make sure that it will be open when you plan to see it, you may have to move your schedule around a bit. (September is looking good though). http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/z-Info/MV_Info_Orario.html#chiusurabis

When we traveled to Europe a couple of years ago, we got the best possible exchange rate from an online currency exchange. I found, however, the rate at the currency exchange in the Detroit airport was only about one cent per Euro higher, so that was also a very good rate. We would have paid considerably more at the currency exchange in Frankfort airport.

We will be doing the Splendor trans-Atlantic departing on October 29. We will have my nephew, the banker, take care of our currency needs in advance.

Doc:)

Archived