Honolulu Accommodation

HelloSailor

What's the nicest and best location please.

Marriott or Hilton Hawaiian Village.

Were considering Sheraton Waikiki but have read some awful reviews. Said Sheraton should not put its name to such a terrible hotel.

Your wise suggestions would be appreciated.

Aloha:

We have a condo in Kauai and every time we leave for the mainland we must have an evening or two on Waikiki Beach. The Hilton is located at the end of the strip. A great place for a sunset drink if your waiting to go to the airport for a late flight. However the Sheraton owns three hotels in a row in the middle of the strip. Sheraton Waikiki, Royal Hawaiian and the Moana Surfrider. The Famous "First" hotel on Waikiki is the Moana (white porch with rocking chairs/four stories). This is the old section of the Moana Surfrider. The Surfrider is the newest section that is a high rise. The Royal Hawaiian is the Pink hotel and again it has a old section and new section that is a high rise. Twenty years ago the Sheraton Waikiki had beach front. My choice every other time is between the high rise room at the Royal Hawaiian (pink towels and beach service) and the old section at the Moana (white glove breakfast service on the porch over looking the ocean....old architecture.). You may use your room charge at the hotels as you walk along. Not to mention in closing that the best thing between the Royal Hawaiian and the Moana is Dukes. Nothing like fish taco's and a local beer water front as the band plays and people dance on the beach......

Sounds magical - but affordable?

We were actually married at the Sheraton Waikiki 20 years ago and would have liked to stay there but not with the reviews I've read. Perhaps we should push the boat out and try the Moana or Royal Hawaiian. You've made it sound irresistable.

Mahalo (or something like that!).

Yes...there is nothing lmore magical like having a pink drink at the Royal Hawaiian on the Beach at night with all the lights, watching the cruise ships go by. If you become a Sheraton Club member you will receive their specials. They offer a 35 percent discount for the Hawaiian islands on your room, any meals you purchase and I believe some shop purchases at check out. Go the Sheraton Web site for more information.

Me ke aloha or kindest regards.

I stayed at the Sheraton Waikiki for four nights last year. (It's a long story, since I live here.) There was nothing wrong with the hotel. My room was not advertised as ocean anything, but I could see the water from my window. It was clean, comfortable, and quiet. I ordered room service, which was quite good. My party had a number of special requests which were all met courteously. If you want to stay there I would not hesitate.

I also stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village within the past year. It was wonderful. Free upgrade to a partial ocean view. I love the atmosphere there. It's one of my favorite places to go hang out for a drink or to watch the Friday night fireworks.

No advice about the Marriott, but I haven't heard anything bad.

You probably know this, but attittude makes such a difference. If you are the kind of person who usually has good travel experiences, you probably will at either of these hotels. However, I am sure there is someone somewhere who had a terrible experience at any of them. I would think the sentimentality of staying at your wedding hotel would be a plus. Mention it to them, and you might get an upgrade! Hope you enjoy your trip.

We've had two wonderful one-week stays at the Hilton Hawaiian Village in the past four years. We love it and plan to go back in a couple years. We spend a week there first, then a week on one of the outer islands. I spent a long time comparing hotels before chosing it for our first trip.

Marriott or Hilton Hawaiian? It depends on what you want. The Marriott is down in the center of very busy, tacky, crowded Waikiki -- the atmosphere which makes many people say skip Waikiki and go only to the outer islands. If you want action and discos and T-shirt shops and a high activitiy level and crowds and high rises crowded together, this is for you.

On the other hand, the Hilton Hawiian, is at the quiet end of Waikiki, next to the yacht harbor. And on the other side of the Hilton Hawaiian is a large quiet military reservation, within which there's a resort hotel for military officers. The beach in front of the military area is very wide and very quiet. So the Hilton Hawaiian is in a nice quiet area by itself, but an easy walk to other parts of Waikiki. The Hilton Hawaiian faces the widest and nicest part of Waikiki beach, and has the calmest area to swim and snorkel. They also give surfing lessons, so there are waves further out. The Hilton Hawaiian is 20 acres of beautiful, peaceful tropical gardens and lagoons, with lovely wildlife, including a colony of South African penguins which are fed twice a day by wildlife scientists. It also has a very native Hawaiian atmosphere, missing at most other Waikiki hotels. Most of the staff are Hawaiian and very friendly. They have lots of native Hawaiian activites every day, most of which are free, including hula lessons, native crafts, etc. Six nights a week they have free Hawaiian shows by the pool, including fireworks on Fri. night, and Hawaiian music at two open air lounges every night where there is no cover charge or pressure to buy drinks. They have the largest pool in Waikiki, surrounded by landscaping and next to the beach. Three of the towers also have their own pools. Its a great hotel for children. They have free Hawaiian activities for children each day and a great daycare program. They also give free children's meals in some of the restaurants. They have a fabulous new spa (I tried it out) and a wonderful new branch of the world renowed Hawaiian historical and cultural museum. They have a great award winning Chinese restaurant which is beautiful and overlooks the lagoon and has VERY reasonable prices. I personally think most of the other restaurants are overpriced (as are many restaurants in Waikiki), but there are some excellent reasonably priced restaurants across the street. There are MANY (about 100) lovely shops, in all price ranges. If you want a relaxing, tropical atmosphere with the flavor of real Hawaii and a beautiful beach and gardens, with Hawaiian enternatinment, choose the Hilton Hawaiian Village.

Of course, if you want to spend more, the Royal Hawaiian is quite magical, quiet and upscale. The beach in front is nice. There is no beach in front of the Sheraton Waikiki; the ocean goes up to the cement wall of the terrace off the lobby at high tide. Before I saw it, I thought that the Sheraton Moana was my first choice. It is historical, but its in a very busy area, has a small lobby, and is not nearly as historically charming or upscale as I thought it would be. Keep in mind also that the Mariott is across the boulevard from the beach. In that area the main boulevard runs right along the beach. Also, although the beach in that area is sheltered by a cement breaker, it has some deep dangerous holes. Choose what's best for you and enjoy your visit to Hawaii!

Mill--great descriptions. You should be a travel book writer! One tiny correction. The Hale Koa hotel is not for "military officers" it is for all ranks of the military. As a matter of fact, room rates are charged on a slide scale based on pay rank, with higher ranking personnel paying more. I have also had a chance to stay there for three weeks once. It was wonderful. I am glad all the men and women in uniform have such a beautiful and affordable place to stay.

I stayed at the Sheraton Waikiki for four nights last year. (It's a long story, since I live here.) There was nothing wrong with the hotel. My room was not advertised as ocean anything, but I could see the water from my window. It was clean, comfortable, and quiet. I ordered room service, which was quite good. My party had a number of special requests which were all met courteously. If you want to stay there I would not hesitate.

I was getting nervous, though you have just put me in the comfort zone.I scored the the Sheraton Waikiki on Priceline and was not feeling good about it.However your making me feel good now.

We are coming off the Legend of the Seas after a 21 day back to back Ensenada.

What's the nicest and best location please.

Marriott or Hilton Hawaiian Village.

Were considering Sheraton Waikiki but have read some awful reviews. Said Sheraton should not put its name to such a terrible hotel.

Your wise suggestions would be appreciated.

Hello Sailor,

Both towers of the Marriott Waikiki are now renovated. We booked a basic room, but were upgraded to the top (24th) floor, beach front with huge balcony. Beautiful, clean, and the best view I've ever had. (If someone tells me how to upload a photo I'll do it.) However, the lobby is a mob-scene, not conducive to relaxing imho. Plus, the location was at the end of the beach. Long (10 minute?), hot walks to Dukes.

My family were down the street in the Sheraton Moana Surfrider. With the elegant banyan tree, the relaxing, beautiful lobby, the nice white sand beach--I'd stay there. The rooms were a mixed-bag however. Mom's was old and drecky with a bad view of construction. (Nice art deco mirrors in the bathroom, however.) Middle brother in the upgraded tower room had a sliver-view of the beach. Younger brother (married in the courtyard there--awesome wedding!) loved his honeymoon suite, but paid a fortune for it. Older brother (they screwed up his 2 adjoining rooms) hit the jackpot--paid for the cheap rooms, but upgraded to the penthouse suite. Unbelievable.

Even if you don't stay at the Moana, I'd recommend a splurge on breakfast ($24/pp) on the veranda beside the banyan tree. Then sit in the lobby and marvel at the Japanese wedding-parties stopping by for photos. Also, there's a (hidden) beautiful old museum on the 2nd floor, with video and photos of the hotel from the 19th century to the present. Made me want to go back in time and travel with a steamtrunk.

You didn't ask, but if you're going to Pearl Harbor (and everyone on a cruise-ship both coming and going does; believe me, we met them all the day the Infinity was in port with the big RCCL ship), then my advice is: book at your hotel for the very first shuttle to PH. You will get there before 7. Settle in and wait until 7:30, when PH opens and the line moves fast. Cry because you are in something like group 5, and thus must wait in the crowds for your turn to see the movie and take the boat to the memorial. Try not to feel claustrophic by the hordes. If you are a woman, or are traveling with a woman, make sure she "goes" before she leaves the hotel. Otherwise she may be in line for a half hour for the ladies' room. Don't let anyone bring bags, purses, or sacks; you will have to trudge across the property (and it might be raining that day) to check them. When you are finished, call your van shuttle for a scheduled (hourly) pick-up, but then fully expect that a) they will be late and b) they won't send enough vans for all the people jostling and fighting to get a seat.

Better idea--go to the beach and watch the surfers. ;)

Have a blast in Waikiki, I loved it so much I wanted to move to Oahu with my new s-i-l's relatives.

Aloha,

Catie

Hi,

On our last visit we stayed in an oceanview room on the 34th floor of the Hyatt Regency Waikiki. We loved it!

Granted the HRW is across Kalakaua from the beach, but from our vantage point lanai we could watch cruise ships, surfers, wind surfers, canoeists, etc. and enjoy a spectacular view. The HRW is across the street from the Moana Surfrider, and slightly toward Diamond Head from the Royal Hawaiian.

We found the HRW to be nicely appointed, very convenient, and served by its' own shopping mall and several quality restaurants. Breakfast on the terrace overlooking the Moana hotel was delightful.

Wherever you stay, have a fabulous, relaxing, rejeuvenating visit to Honolulu and Waikiki.

CM

Thanks all of you. I knew I could count on you for some very helpful info.

Can't wait for our visit. Seems like we might have to "push the boat out" so to speak and go for the Sheraton Moana - in the renovated rooms. I shall give you a report when we return. Mahalo (?) and Aloha!

Archived