Tallinn to do?

I will be visiting Tallinn on the Splendor on 9/4/08. I am very excited about this city. I visited Dubrovnik 2 years ago on Carnival Liberty and loved it, I think Tallinn will remind me a lot of that city. I am looking to visit the Old City of Tallinn - what should I do when I get there? Is there anything else I should do while I'm in Tallinn other than the Old Town? What's the easiest and least expensive way to get to the Old Town and any other sights? Any advice regarding currency? Thanks! :)

I will be visiting Tallinn on the Splendor on 9/4/08. I am very excited about this city. I visited Dubrovnik 2 years ago on Carnival Liberty and loved it, I think Tallinn will remind me a lot of that city. I am looking to visit the Old City of Tallinn - what should I do when I get there? Is there anything else I should do while I'm in Tallinn other than the Old Town? What's the easiest and least expensive way to get to the Old Town and any other sights? Any advice regarding currency? Thanks! :)

You should be able to walk from the ship to Old Town. Many of us used Rick Steves' map and walking tour. If your ship doesn't offer a shuttle bus and you don't feel like walking, you could take one of the cabs from the dock. We had them take us to Toompea (top of the hill) and just meandered down. We weren't able to get Estonian Kroon here (although I've heard they're available at Bank of America), so we got enough on the ship to get started and then hit the ATM when we got into town. But the taxis accepted dollars also (not at a favorable rate, however). Tallinn is gorgeous and a real shopper's mecca--lots of tourist stuff as well as true works of art, as there are many craftsmen and artisans there. :)

We also took a cab to the lookout point at Toompea and then meandered around up there and then down through lower town using Rick Steves walking tour. We practically had the upper town to ourselves for the first hour or so. It was wonderful. By the time we got down to the area where the shops were, they were opening. This was my favorite stop. SPB was dazzling, but Tallinn was relaxing and beautiful.

Tallin is very easy to visit from the ship. Walk it, don't bother with taxis unless you are handicapped or too slow on the move. There is a footpath right from the dock. Follow that, cross a couple streets and you are at one of the main gates into Old Town.

For details you might consider the following web site. It provides you with lots of pictures and an interesting walk to see all the historic places. You will find lots of shops and good restaurants. It is a tourist town. We just did this about a week ago and loved it.

http://www.*****.com/tallinnwalk.html

we got the ship shuttle into town walked around sat in the square drank beer, walked the walls , found all the places listed and got lost, it was the most enjoyable "lost" ever, great day ,we ended up back in the square again and drank more beer our dinner friends went to the beach, it's where they did the moscow olympic sailing events its a cheap taxi or bus ride

atm machines are around, its very cheap

it reminded me of a more northen europe dubrovnik

http://travel.webshots.com/album/560552390nPmKfD

We were ther this June and definitely our second favorite stop after STP

We took a ships walking tour then stayed in town for dinner catching the last shuttle to the ship(didn't want to leave) Tour was worth it to hear our local guide talk about their independance and watch her tear up when discussing their gathering on Independance day

We stayed in the square having adult beverages while the ladies toured the shops we then ate in the Pepper Sack had all local tastes with a show

while eating

Great place to chill with the locals

Definitely walk it. It is a VERY short distance in my opinion.

I used euros to buy a wonderful piece of cheesecake and a cup of coffee. However, I made a mistake of using euros to pay for a necklace. I would definitely charge larger purchases. I wouldn't bother getting the money for that port.

Everyone I met said it was one of their favorite ports.

Tour was worth it to hear our local guide talk about their independance and watch her tear up when discussing their gathering on Independance day

If you ever have a chance to see the movie "The Singing Revolution" go see it. It deals with all the terrible times the Estonians have had with the take overs by the Germans and Russians during the last century and how they became independent ones more, not by fighting but by singing. Their Independence Day celebration is unique, to say the least.

Archived