Adelaide questions

starskyfan

Our excursions recently opened for our cruise around Australia. We've signed up for everything except Adelaide, it's the only port we weren't happy with the choices. Does anyone have any recommendations of what to do, or how to do it on our own? I've looked for private tours to book in advance but so far came up empty, but I'll keep looking. I was thinking there might be guides waiting at the port hoping to take you places? I think what we'd like to do is Mount Lofty and Cleland Conservation Park. There is also Montefiore Hill I'd love to see, if we could manage to do all 3 things.

I considered signing up for the Henley Beach Bicycle Safari. Has anyone done that? I have a bad knee but suspect it's probably on flat land so I might be okay depending on how I'm doing at the time. I'm not sure where Henley beach is in relation to where the ship docks, but that might be something we could do last minute on our own. Even just a walk to see the beach sounds good to me.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks so much. Brenda

Our excursions recently opened for our cruise around Australia. We've signed up for everything except Adelaide, it's the only port we weren't happy with the choices. Does anyone have any recommendations of what to do, or how to do it on our own? I've looked for private tours to book in advance but so far came up empty, but I'll keep looking. I was thinking there might be guides waiting at the port hoping to take you places? I think what we'd like to do is Mount Lofty and Cleland Conservation Park. There is also Montefiore Hill I'd love to see, if we could manage to do all 3 things.

I considered signing up for the Henley Beach Bicycle Safari. Has anyone done that? I have a bad knee but suspect it's probably on flat land so I might be okay depending on how I'm doing at the time. I'm not sure where Henley beach is in relation to where the ship docks, but that might be something we could do last minute on our own. Even just a walk to see the beach sounds good to me.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks so much. Brenda

Hi Brenda,

You will be docking at Outer harbour.

I dont think there will be any (or many )guides waiting at the dock. If you dont want to do a shore tour your options are more limited. There is a train which leaves from right out the front of the terminal which will take you into the city -North Terrace. Day ticket will be about $5 or one way about $2 ( can use for 2 hours ) You could google Metro adelaide for the time table. To visit Mt. Lofty and Cleland CP you may need to hire a car which you could pick up in the city (catch train to city or taxi - guessing the taxi (ph 132211 or 131008 )would be approx $20- $30 to the city) or there are tours via www.grayline.com.au . The tours are from the city but would need to see if they fit into your timeframe. It is worth checking out www.adelaidesightseeing.com.au as well.

Henley Beach bicycle safari - Im guessing it would be flat throughout the whole ride if it only goes along the beach front and would be a lovely ride. Im assuming this is a shore tour as Henley beach would be about 10km from Outer harbour. If its not you would need to get a taxi.

There is a lovely beach (about 5-10 minute walk )just around the corner from the dock but it is a bit hard to find if your not a local. I'll try to describe how to find it - As you walk through the security gates to your right after getting off the ship walk straight, heading to the outer carpark walk past the cars as if you were heading back to look at the ship from the waterway ( where everyone will watch as you sail out again ) Follow the path that leads to the rocks by the water ( might see people fishing ) Keep walking beside the rocks heading out to sea. When you get to the area that has water on both sides of the rocks the beach will be on the left. Nice isolated beach with lovely sand but cold in winter.

You can walk to Montefiore Hill from the Railway station in the city. It would take about 45 minutes each way with steady walking. Very pretty walk by the river Torrens past Adelaide Oval and through parklands.

If I was visiting Adelaide for the first time on a schedule I would catch the train to the city. Walk up North terrace as it is a lovely boulevard until you reach the botanic gardens. Walk through the botanic gardens until you reach the other end the turn left along plane tree drive. FInd the walkway that runs down the side of the Adelaide Zoo. Visit the Zoo if you love animals as this has a fantastic variety of wildlife. ( need to allow at least 3 hours for this ) then walk back via the parklands that follow the river torrens all the way to King William road. You can also catch the Popeye river boat back -if its running. Turn right at King William Road , past Adelaide Oval to Montefiore hill. Then turn back down to King William road again back towards the city. If time permits go and see the Festival Theatre -on the banks of the river torrens. Then walk back up King William Street to North Terrace. Turn right there back to the railway station. This walk, without the Zoo visit would take me 4 hours at least with steady walking + tree and flower studing at the botanical gardens. + to and from the ship would be a full day. ( you will need to be a good walker to do this walk ) but could catch the taxi around ( not a cheap way but there are usually plenty around ) or do the 3 hour city highlights tour-

Hope Ive answered your questions but happy to answer any others you may have.

Cheers,

Fiona

:)

Thanks Fiona, you've been more than helpful. By the sounds, we made the right decision in deciding to get the private limo excursion from the ship with another couple we know taking the cruise. Your tips will be helpful as we devise an itinerary, and I'll print your directions to that beach in case we have time when we return to check it out. I think we might have just enough time to check it out, if my legs aren't worn out by then!

Thanks again, Brenda

• 2 weeks later...
Brenda, I highly recommend Cleland if you have time. My hubby and I spent the better part of a day there. So many kangaroos to pat and koalas to cuddle. What a neat place!

Cleland is definitely at the top of our list. We want to see the waterfall near there too and Mount Lofty. Fiona mentioned the zoo which I'm sure would be wonderful too, but I know we won't do both. I wonder how they compare though? We are also hoping for Montefiore Hill and time permitting we are hoping for a few other things, maybe a quick trip through Handorf and a beach viewing stop somewhere. I want to try and find that other beach Fiona mentioned when we get back too. Brenda

Brenda, while I'm sure Adelaide has a very nice zoo, we also skipped the zoo in Sydney, which was very highly recommended, in favor of the animal parks. We really enjoyed the interaction with the kangaroos, wallabys, koalas and emus, as well as many other animals at the animal parks.

Cleland is definitely at the top of our list. We want to see the waterfall near there too and Mount Lofty. Fiona mentioned the zoo which I'm sure would be wonderful too, but I know we won't do both. I wonder how they compare though? We are also hoping for Montefiore Hill and time permitting we are hoping for a few other things, maybe a quick trip through Handorf and a beach viewing stop somewhere. I want to try and find that other beach Fiona mentioned when we get back too. Brenda

Hi Brenda,

With your itinerary you wont have time to visit the Zoo. When I visit with my children it takes me about 5/6 hours to see all the animals. By myself it would probably take 2/3 hours. Its rather large and takes a while to walk all the way around it. A lovely day out but its probably out of your timeframe with all the other things you want to do.

If you get your driver to take you into the city via The Esplanade instead of Military Road you will get to drive by the coast for about 10 km. (North haven to Semaphore ) Much more scenic. The driver could then take you to Montefiore Hill while you are in the city. From there you could go to Cleland and Mount Lofty. Then you could continue through Cleland Conservation Park to the freeway and visit Hahndorf. It would be a full day but very doable.

Luckily you have booked the Limo as there isnt really any other way to do your itinerary without hiring a car.

With regard to the waterfalls- In our summer they wont be running really fast but its a nice bush walk through the hills to view them.

Cheers,

Fiona

Fiona, thanks for all the tips, they are very helpful! A full day is exactly what we want. I never understood people that want to relax on vacation:)

Rjscott, while we are in Sydney we intend to do Taronga Zoo, Featherdale & the Koala Park Sanctuary. Then in Brisbane we are doing the Australia Zoo, and Cleland in Adelaide. We do love animals, and they all sound great. With any luck we will feel like we've seen our share of Australian wildlife.

Brenda

Brenda, when we were visiting Sydney and surrounds, we visited both Featherdale and Koala Sanctuary. Loved them both! Be sure to check times at each park for opportunities to interact with animals or watch their feedings.

Have a great time!

You're welcome Brenda.

I think a private limo sounds like a fantastic idea.

Hope you have a lovely day in Adelaide- The cruise ships dont come here often.

I'll be waving as you sail off !!:D

Fiona

Fiona, if you don't mind another question, I was just thinking about our private car tour. I know that tipping is not normally expected in Australia, and I've read all the tipping threads many times. But on this full day tour, especially with a driver and guide, I can't help thinking that tipping would be expected, especially from four Americans. What do you think? Would Australians tip in this situation, and how much? We thought we'd be stopping somewhere for lunch and was thinking if we bought their lunch that might be sufficient. If you have an opinion on this, I'd love to hear it. Thanks, Brenda

Hi Brenda,

This is a hard question to answer. I have travelled to the US mainland and Hawaii before and I always had a problem with the tipping. I worried about not tipping enough and felt I couldnt justify tipping more that I earned either. Then there was the feeling someone was only helping me because they expected a tip. Or could I ask for help without giving a tip?

Here in Adelaide I work in a small shop and most of my customers wait with their hand out for the 5cents change.:D !! This is normal (and expected ) in all the shops so dont feel guilty if you dont want to tip.

I think it would depend on how much you are paying for the Limo before I can answer your graditutes question. If you are really happy with the effort they put into your tour then tipping would be ok. If you liked them both and they are good company and entertaining you could ask if they would like to join you for lunch (or coffee at a coffee stop/cafe) ( but not if you didnt want to make conversation- dont invite them if they're boring or just because you feel you should ). They would expect to pay for themselves but you could offer if you wanted too . Can I be so nosy as to ask how much the Limo is costing (including any petrol costs) + check to see if it already has a service charge on the account? Then I could probably help with an amount that would be suitable if you felt they do a great job. I wouldnt tip at all if you werent happy with their service.

Cheers,

Fiona

Hi Fiona,

It is a hard question isn't it? The car is $700 for a full day regardless of the number of passengers, but there will be 4 of us. They don't mention anything about putting gas in the vehicle though so I would have assumed that was included. It does say that entry fees, meals, gratuities, and refreshments are not included. They used to specify a driver and a guide, but now it says driver/guide so I'm not sure if it could just be one person.

I can imagine how coming to the US was different for you as far as tipping in concerned. We do have different expectations. Either way, when you are dealing with a different culture you can read all you want and think you are prepared, but when put in different situations it's still hard to know the right thing to do! Thanks so much for your input, I really appreciate it.

Brenda

No problem, Im happy I can help :)

I kind of worked out it would cost about $600 for the car with the driver( not the guide ) so your quote isnt too bad assuming petrol is included.

It does actually mention gratuities on the invoice so I would assume you would give them something. If you worked on the US system it would be 20%- $140 Ahhh..... I think $50 would be adequate if he/she was ok. More if he/she was really entertaining ( unless you bought him lunch) I wouldnt give a tip if you werent happy. Also dont feel you have to tip -only do it if you want to :)

Hope it all works out for you,

Fiona

I can't thank you enough for all of your input. $50 is a good starting place for us to consider, and as you say, the service will determine the rest. It should be a fun day and we will definitely see a lot more than if we'd tried to take one of the regular ship tours. I'm glad they gave us this option because they didn't even have excursions going to Cleland which really surprised me. Anyway, thanks again, and I have made notes on all of your suggestions! Brenda

Archived