Diamond Princess Money Questions

ianeh

Cruising Beijing to Bangkok. Visting Nagasaki, Shanghai, Okinawa, Keelung, Hong Kong, Nha Trang, Vung Tau, Singapore.

Which ports accept US dollars when making purchases?

Does the ship have local currency from all countries available for exchange?

Do the ports have a place where one can exchange funds?

Thanks!

Cruising Beijing to Bangkok. Visting Nagasaki, Shanghai, Okinawa, Keelung, Hong Kong, Nha Trang, Vung Tau, Singapore.

Which ports accept US dollars when making purchases?

Does the ship have local currency from all countries available for exchange?

Do the ports have a place where one can exchange funds?

Thanks!

US dollars in all of Vietnam, Japan-no US dollars (or few), China-Yuan (it is technically illegal to use US dollars, although all the market vendors accept them).

• 2 weeks later...

I've been sourcing currency for my parents for this trip. As far as I am aware you can get most of the currencies before you travel. It is Yuan (also known as RMB) that can only be purchased in country. I have travelled to Taiwan on many occasions and only ever used NT$ (New Taiwan Dollars).

From memory I have

Thai Baht, Hong Kong Dollars, Singapore Dollars, New Taiwan Dollars, Yen and Yuan (from a previous trip). US Dollars for Vietnam.

In the UK you can purchase small quantities of currency and if you wish pay a small surcharge to be able to change any you have left. I travel to Asia fairly reguarly so this isn't a problem for us.

Hope this helps, G.

You can legally purchase Chinese Yuan (better known as Renminbi or Kwai) in Hong Kong or at large banks in Japan.

You can illegally (but safely) purchase Renminbi on the street in Shanghai at a much better rate - but not safely in other Chinese cities. The Peoples Liberation Army runs the illegal exchange business in Shanghai.

It will be nearly impossible to use US Dollars in Japan. Only a limited number of Japanese Banks offers foreign currency exchange.

Credit cards are difficult in many Asian countries. Only the pricier shops take them.

we usually get some money in the currency of wherever we are going from amex before we go. I just feel more comfortable with at least a few dollars worth of local currency. Otherwise we get all our funds at ATMs. Have yet to visit a country where this wasnt possible. Altho I have been quite challenged in some places trying to interpret the machines instructions! I seem to recall that on our cruise on Regent Tokyo to Hong Kong that local banks came on the ship in many ports to handle currency exchanges. Call the cruise line and ask. Asia all an adventure!

--------------

Helen

I've been sourcing currency for my parents for this trip. As far as I am aware you can get most of the currencies before you travel. It is Yuan (also known as RMB) that can only be purchased in country. I have travelled to Taiwan on many occasions and only ever used NT$ (New Taiwan Dollars).

From memory I have

Thai Baht, Hong Kong Dollars, Singapore Dollars, New Taiwan Dollars, Yen and Yuan (from a previous trip). US Dollars for Vietnam.

In the UK you can purchase small quantities of currency and if you wish pay a small surcharge to be able to change any you have left. I travel to Asia fairly reguarly so this isn't a problem for us.

Hope this helps, G.

We are also on this trip - departing Beijing on 06.10.08. We just sat down and worked out how much we are prepared to spend in each POC and ordered it from Marks and Spencer Foreign Exchange desk in the currency of the country we're visiting. We just ordered what we wanted and a week later it was in. We even ordered US dollars in small denominations ($1) so we'll have money for tips for room service, etc. We had no problem in buying Chinese Yuan from M & S. As we are spending three days pre-cruise in Beijing and three days post-cruise in Bangkok we oredered more Yuan and Baht than the other currencies. No problem with any of it and you don't pay commission at M&S.

Most larger American banks (Chase, Wells Fargo, B of A, etc. etc) can order currency from almost any country. Takes about a week for it to arrive. I bank at Chase. They actually allow orders over the phone and debit my account. I just call my local branch, speak to the manager, order my currency and viola, in about a week, I can pick it up at the local branch. VERY easy and the exchange rate is usually the most favorable you can get in the USA.

Archived