Car seat for 2 year old in Alaska

TBetti

I don't believe they're required. Most buses don't require car seats. Most don't even have seat belts to attach a car seat.

If you do bother bringing one, I'd just buy a Cosco Scenera. Cheap, light, but good.

Still, I wouldn't bother. You're gonna have enough stuff to lug around. Considering that you wouldn't even be able to attach the car seat on nearly all the buses you'll encounter, there's very little reason to bring one. Yeah, I'm all about safety too (I have an infant), but realistically, if you're only on buses and other mass transit people movers, those things have no seat belts to attach the car seat.

Depends on what excursions you are doing. Will you need one to get from the airport to a hotel or to the pier? I would think so. We are only doing 1 excursion where we will be in a van that does have seatbelts so we are lugging them just for this one excursion. However - my 2 yo is almost 3 and meets the weight and height requirements for the Graco Turbo Booster. So even though we use a 5 point harness huge Britax thingy at home I will bring a turbo booster with the back for him.

I've heard that room stewards will store large items for you so your not tripping over them in the room. There are a few travel type carseats that people on the family boards recommend so you may want to pop over there.

Me personally - wouldn't want to chance a happy time like vacation to an unfortunate accident.

Eileen

Me personally - wouldn't want to chance a happy time like vacation to an unfortunate accident.

Eileen

Absolutely. Remeber, unbelted people, children, adults or animals, become missiles in accidents. Oftentimes it is the safety minded belted individual who suffers great harm when an unbelted individual missiles into them.

Most seats you can also use on the plane. The airlines hightly recommend that people use carseats for kids under the age of 4. There should be a sticker on your carseat that says if it is airline approved, if not, check your carseat manual and if you can't find your manual, most of them are available online. Usually they will ask you to show them where it says on the seat that it is FAA approved before they let you on the plane with it. Carseats must be next to the window on the plane. I've never flown without mine, it isn't as much of a pain as it sounds, really!

Most busses don't have seatbelts and you are usually not even allowed to use a car seat on a bus. However, you definately do want a carseat for any shuttle van or taxi you'd be in. Remember, there are crazy mountain roads in Alaska with Moose lurking around the bends!

Archived