Alternative Dining Dress

jhaasz

I happened to find this information in the Cruise Answer Place under Etiquette:

Etiquette

Everyone at Princess is committed to ensuring you have a great time on your cruise. So, to preserve a relaxed and friendly atmosphere onboard, we ask that you observe a few guidelines.

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests. For details regarding this, please see the section entitled: ONBOARD ATTIRE.

Etiquette

Everyone at Princess is committed to ensuring you have a great time on your cruise. So, to preserve a relaxed and friendly atmosphere onboard, we ask that you observe a few guidelines.

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests. For details regarding this, please see the section entitled: ONBOARD ATTIRE.

On Princess ships, the buffet and room service are the only dining venues that do not observe the actual dress code for the evening. ANY dining room, including specialty restaurants, all observe the suggested dress code.

Etiquette

Thanks for bringing this up. I just wish that more people would look at the Cruise Answer book for this info. It would save a lot of the dress code threads.:rolleyes: That information has always been there in the Answer Book.

Marilyn

On Princess ships, the buffet and room service are the only dining venues that do not observe the actual dress code for the evening. ANY dining room, including specialty restaurants, all observe the suggested dress code.

That is what I have always observed as well. However on our February cruise on The Golden during specialty restaurant signups on embarkation day, the staff person who was composing the list told the person in front of me that smart casual dress was welcome any evening in Sabatini's as well as The Painted Desert.

I had never heard that before.

Mike:)

That is what I have always observed as well. However on our February cruise on The Golden during specialty restaurant signups on embarkation day, the staff person who was composing the list told the person in front of me that smart casual dress was welcome any evening in Sabatini's as well as The Painted Desert.

I had never heard that before.

Mike, I also have never heard of this before. I will have to check the Patters next cruise as it has always stated it in there also. Hummmmmm!

Etiquette

I guess some people need an Etiquette reminder...:rolleyes:....;)

I think people know the dress code and have read the cruise answer book. I think they come here looking for people's reactions to see what they may or may not get away with in terms of dress on formal nights.

I think you are correct.:rolleyes:

Etiquette

Then there is reality, here is a thread and in it you can read a little about what happens.

I doubt the majority of the people that dress down do it to see what they can get away with. It is simply their preference on vacation, as it is others to get really decked out on their's

We'll see in a little less then two weeks :D

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=815287

Mike, I also have never heard of this before. I will have to check the Patters next cruise as it has always stated it in there also. Hummmmmm!

Yes, that is exactly what the Hostess taking reservations told us on Crown...smart casual is perfectly OK on formal nights in Crown Grill.

Steve

When was your cruise on The Crown Steve? Ours was February 2008, I am just trying to get a feel for the timeline that they may have had a change in policy. I thought maybe it was just a Golden thing; but evidently not.

The reason that I posted this is that, on RCL, you don't have to observe the dress code in the dining room in the alternative restaurants. When we made a reservation last year on RCL during formal night, we were told that we could come in jeans to the alternative restaurant (I guess that they don't do a huge business on formal night). Of course, no one in our party wore jeans (but others did). We were all dressed as we were going to a nice restaurant for the evening.

Since the menu on the first formal night is a "bust" to me, I wanted to see if Princess was following the same policy in regards to alternative dining and formal nights. I have read the boards with various opinions but no fact. Since I came across my answer in the Cruise Answer Book, I thought I would post it for information.

As for my personal opinion on formal nights - it's not my thing. It used to be (probably 10 cruises ago). I dress up for work and I look at a vacation as a time for being "comfortable". I don't want to have to eat at the buffet so that I don't "ruin" anyone's evening of being formally attired. In my opinion, alternative dining allows me to "dress up" to where I am comfortable (slacks, heels, nice top) and hopefully not ruin anyone's "formal" time.

If my slacks, heels, and nice top will ruin your time in an alternative dining venue, don't look at me :). However, you only live once and you should enjoy life to the fullest. Personally, when the second formal night comes, I could care less if someone is wearing jeans in the dining room (except to say - why couldn't I wear that?)!

Let the flames begin. :)

I doubt the majority of the people that dress down do it to see what they can get away with. It is simply their preference on vacation, as it is others to get really decked out on their's
I sort of disagree. I think they're just clueless and don't think of anyone but themselves. On our Baltic cruise, my nephew (and his wife, who were given the cruise to celebrate my sister and brother-in-law's 45th anniversary) brought only old, worn, stained, ragged jeans and one suit to wear on formal nights even though he'd been on two previous cruises. You'd think that out of respect for his parents that he'd dress a little better but it didn't occur to him. He's middle-aged and certainly knows better. He was invited as a guest of my sister and BIL to the Captain's cocktail party and was planning to wear the jeans he'd worn on tour that day. I hadn't said a thing until then but I reminded him that this was the Captain he was having drinks with and that his suit pants and a shirt would look better. Even then, he was way underdressed.

No it is not your dress but the arrogance of your personlity. I always advice -- remember to bring your thick skin. My cruise will not spoil but I hope yours does with your "attitude".

As for my personal opinion on formal nights - it's not my thing. It used to be (probably 10 cruises ago). I dress up for work and I look at a vacation as a time for being "comfortable". I don't want to have to eat at the buffet so that I don't "ruin" anyone's evening of being formally attired. In my opinion, alternative dining allows me to "dress up" to where I am comfortable (slacks, heels, nice top) and hopefully not ruin anyone's "formal" time.

If my slacks, heels, and nice top will ruin your time in an alternative dining venue, don't look at me :).

Let the flames begin. :)

The reason that I posted this is that, on RCL, you don't have to observe the dress code in the dining room in the alternative restaurants. When we made a reservation last year on RCL during formal night, we were told that we could come in jeans to the alternative restaurant (I guess that they don't do a huge business on formal night). Of course, no one in our party wore jeans (but others did). We were all dressed as we were going to a nice restaurant for the evening.

I wanted to see if Princess was following the same policy in regards to alternative dining and formal nights.

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues :)

I think you are confusing "alternative dining" with "anytime dining".

"Alternative" & "Anytime" are indeed two different kettles of sea bass.

The Hostess for Crown's "Crown Grill" did inform us officially that Resort Casual was the preferred mode of dress for most pax even on formal nights. Even so, no-one came wearing ratty clothes or ripped jeans.

Pam, just curious, I'll be leaving for the Baltics cruise in a few weeks and am working on my packing list. Overall, how did people dress on this cruise? I gather that there are many Europeans on board and I just wondered if they tend to dress up a little. As for me, I always dress up a little - that's just me, I don't find jeans to be comfortable. However, I will be wearing a lot of "repeats" ;)

I sort of disagree. I think they're just clueless and don't think of anyone but themselves. On our Baltic cruise, my nephew (and his wife, who were given the cruise to celebrate my sister and brother-in-law's 45th anniversary) brought only old, worn, stained, ragged jeans and one suit to wear on formal nights even though he'd been on two previous cruises. You'd think that out of respect for his parents that he'd dress a little better but it didn't occur to him. He's middle-aged and certainly knows better. He was invited as a guest of my sister and BIL to the Captain's cocktail party and was planning to wear the jeans he'd worn on tour that day. I hadn't said a thing until then but I reminded him that this was the Captain he was having drinks with and that his suit pants and a shirt would look better. Even then, he was way underdressed.

sultan_sfo...

I think your reply was uncalled for and I don't believe I have an attitude - if I did, I would be wearing my "nice" outfit to the traditional/anytime dining room on formal evening - instead, I am opting to dine somewhere else where I will not run the risk of ruin anyone else's evening. I think you are reading too much into my post.

My belief is that life is too short - we have lost many close loved ones to us over the past couple of years. I think everyone should enjoy life to the fullest and not worry about what other people think of them.

Having said that....the reason that I will be dining in an ALTERNATIVE restaurant where resort casual is accepted (not wearing ripped up jeans but nice slacks, heels and a nice top) is so that I don't ruin anyone's formal evening in the dining room.

As you can see, I am a cruise veteran. I've been on a few cruises where it was formal night in the dining room and, yes, I was dressed formally, and people were dressed in resort casual. It didn't ruin my cruise.

I'll be happy to reply to this thread when I return and let everyone know how it goes.

Pam, just curious, I'll be leaving for the Baltics cruise in a few weeks and am working on my packing list. Overall, how did people dress on this cruise? I gather that there are many Europeans on board and I just wondered if they tend to dress up a little. As for me, I always dress up a little - that's just me, I don't find jeans to be comfortable. However, I will be wearing a lot of "repeats" ;)
A few people wore jeans to dinner on Smart Casual evenings but they were very much in the minority. I brought slacks and some nice tops that I mixed and matched; many women wore dresses at dinner but I wouldn't say they were in the majority. Generally, people stuck pretty much to the dress code, i.e., Smart Casual or Formal. My brother-in-law has all-purpose white slacks that he wears every Smart Casual night with shirts, including Hawaiian shirts. I think the only person wearing ratty old (at least 10 years) T-shirts was my nephew. :(

This has always been a contentious issue and it will continue.

I'm an older gal with lots of dining experiences behind me whether it's on land, sea or air. It would appear the folks who 'challenge' the dress code are the youngsters ~ under 50! They appear to delight in challenging the norm and bless their hearts, if that's what gets them through the day then off you go.

It would appear the entire 'problem' is that there is no enforcement. If there are rules...then ensure they're enforced. If not, you will always find those who march to a different drummer and have such a need to be noticed and this is one of those definitive times for them. I was on a recent Princess cruise and was AMAZED when a Princess representative told a diner who appeared at the door in walking shorts, that he was not allowed into the dining room in short pants. Oh, that we could have someone tell those who delight in appearing in 'jeans/dress jeans.' Gawd. These folks who delight in wearing 'dress jeans' ..... have you actually looked in the mirror to see how hideous they are on most of your bodies??!! It ain't pretty. So flout the rules all you like, as long as there is no enforcement, the dining rules will remain static or deteriorate - it's really up to Princess.

Watergal

You are correct. My apologies -- I did mix up "alternative" and "anytime" dining rooms even though the heading of the thread is clearly "alternative" dining. I appreciate that you took the trouble to respond. Enjoy the "alternative" dining in whatever way you wish -- cruise lines like the extra money they make in the alternative dining.

sultan_sfo...

I think your reply was uncalled for and I don't believe I have an attitude - if I did, I would be wearing my "nice" outfit to the traditional/anytime dining room on formal evening - instead, I am opting to dine somewhere else where I will not run the risk of ruin anyone else's evening. I think you are reading too much into my post.

Having said that....the reason that I will be dining in an ALTERNATIVE restaurant where resort casual is accepted (not wearing ripped up jeans but nice slacks, heels and a nice top) is so that I don't ruin anyone's formal evening in the dining room.

I'll be happy to reply to this thread when I return and let everyone know how it goes.

Archived