Shorty or full wetsuit

thecountess

Hi Everyone,

My DH and I will be in St. Marten and St. Kitts the first part of November. We will be scuba diving. My question is is it warm enough for just a shorty at that time of year or will we need a full wetsuit?

Thank you for your answers.

We have been diving in both locations at this time of the year. We both wore diveskins only and were quite comfortable. We dive somewhere in the Caribbean once twice during the last couple of months in each year. We don't take our wetsuits along any more.

Full length wetsuits will give you fuller protection from abrasions. Shorty wetsuits are much easier to get into. We own both but take neither to this part of the world.

No way would a shorty be warm enough for me. I always were a 3 mm full suit as a minimum. I hate calling a dive because I'm cold and I've never, ever been too warm on a dive.

Each person's tollerance to cold is different, so a better question to ask is what will the water temp likely to be the time of year you will be at a desination.

The water may be a little cool depending on your tolerance level. I would bring at least a 1 mm wetsuit that time of year (I get cold easily). I would also echo what the other posters have said in that the full wet suit or skin offers more protection for you than a shorty with exposed legs and arms.

I've been diving in the Caribbean at many islands, the ones you mentioned as well. I always take my full wetsuit. I get laughed at because I also wear a hood, with attached vest, that gives me extra warmth (I also detest getting my hair tangled in my mask strap). The only thing is, people are often shivering at the end of their second dive of the day; I'm always toasty warm.

Remember, the temperature of the surface of the water might be 78 degrees, that doesn't mean at 60 or 80 feet it's going to be 78 degrees!

Jane

I won't dive in the caribbean with anything less then a 3mil full suit not for the warmth but the protection.

Just remember sharks like that springy, rubbery feel a wet suit provides when they bite into them. :p I wear a 3mil full suit as well. :D

Randall

I have a 3/4 combo full suit with hood. There's no point being cold. DH always wears a 3 mm shorty because he is hot natured. I don't think he's ever been cold on a dive except when he dove in a missle silo near Abilene.

Hi Everyone,

My DH and I will be in St. Marten and St. Kitts the first part of November. We will be scuba diving. My question is is it warm enough for just a shorty at that time of year or will we need a full wetsuit?

I did St Maarten last December... I wore my 3mm full suit.

I definitely wasn't too hot!!!

Hi Everyone,

As some people (bruce-r) have said, it depends on your tolerance. Five years ago (and 50 pounds heavier) I would have said dive in shorts. I flailed a lot and used my all my air before everyone else but that and the body fat kept me warm.

Now I am never the first person out of air, I'm stream line and move very little in the water. I'm 50 pounds lighter (maybe more now) and wearing less weight. I get cold with a full 3mm in 78F water. So for me, I DEFINITELY bring a 3mm full. Also, I think the stretchy wetsuits are not as good for insulation as the regular wetsuits. I currently have a 3mm stretch. I think I'm going to switch to a regular 3mm or 5mm stretch.

Basically, there are a lot of factors to consider before answering your question:

1) body fat

2) how cold tolerant are you

3) how much diving will you be doing (more = colder)

4) are we talking 3mm or 3mm stretch

Archived