Just Back ..Coral Princess Alaska...Weather

patperry

I just returned from a cruisetour aboard the Coral Princess. For those of you cruising her in the next couple of months, my advice is to dress in layers.

We had great weather in Fairbanks, it was cold wet and rainy in Denali. The two days cruising the glaciers the weather was sunny and the views were spectacular! In Scagway...cold and rainy again; Juneau and Ketchkan we had sunshine. Average temps were 50-55.

Our tour guides reported it's the coldest summer since 1971 and also the most cloudy and rainy.

BUT... let me add that the experience was spectacular, the views, the people and just everything. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

I'll be posting a review and pictures as soon as I get the 500+ pictures labeled and organized

Pat

In terms of layers.... here is what I have

long sleeve Helly Hansen '1st layer' long sleeve undershirt

cashmere sweater

polartec fleece vest

waterproof shell (outer part of 3 in 1)

pants -

'1st layer' long underwear

nylon water resistant shell pants

Should I grab a pair of fleece pants for under the nylon pants ??

Thanks!

I hate long underweat and go with IceBreaker wool pants (not tights) with rain pants in my camera case for emergency use only. I wear ONLY IceBreaker pants and wool socks. No other layers. It works for me. It has to be Noah's flood before I put on the rainpants.

IceBreaker is wonderful but expensive. Have never been cold or wet when wearing IceBreaker.

www.icebreaker.com

I just returned last week from my first trip to Alaska. We did the land portion first, then cruised southbound ending up in Vancouver.

The weather was pretty bad the entire time. Every day ranged from damp and misty to downright pouring. EXCEPT for Ketchican, the rainiest city and the rainforest tour - that day was lovely. And our first day in Fairbanks was nice.

We had wanted to take a flightplane around Mt. McKinley, but we wouldn't have been able to see anything. We took pictures from McKinley Princess Lodge of where the mountain would have been!!

BUT!! I have to say, the rain did not stop us from enjoying all of our planned excursions & tours. The entire trip was wonderful. We saw caribou, moose, bear, dall sheep, bald eagles, gold eagles, seals, otters and more! When I got home and started weeding out my photos, I found out that many of them were no good due to rain spots or streaks on the bus/train/boat windows. But who needs 900 pictures anyway?

On July 25 we were in Juneau and there was quite a downpour all day. A lot of the tours were cancelled. We were lucking enough to get on a helicopter-glacier hike right before all the rest of them were cancelled. It was the highlight of my trip, hiking on the glacier. I didn't even notice the rain and cold. The guides were great and took extra time because there were no more tours after ours!

Sure, I would have liked sunny weather, but I never really felt cold, and I had the proper clothing to protect me. And my best pictures are the close-ups of plants and flowers with raindrops on them, in Butchart Gardens.

It was a near-perfect vacation!

Carrie

I just returned from a cruisetour aboard the Coral Princess. For those of you cruising her in the next couple of months, my advice is to dress in layers.

We had great weather in Fairbanks, it was cold wet and rainy in Denali. The two days cruising the glaciers the weather was sunny and the views were spectacular! In Scagway...cold and rainy again; Juneau and Ketchkan we had sunshine. Average temps were 50-55.

Our tour guides reported it's the coldest summer since 1971 and also the most cloudy and rainy.

BUT... let me add that the experience was spectacular, the views, the people and just everything. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

We had fantastic weather in Juneau, Skagway, and Prince Rupert. We had rain in Ketchikan, but that was expected and we were prepared for it. Alaska was all I hoped it would be. We had a wonderful time both on the ship (NCL Star), and in all the ports. We also really enjoyed our post-stay in Seattle. We too would do it again in a heartbeat. Our DS (13) didn't want the cruise to end as he had made some great, new friends and was having the time of his life. He loved, loved, loved, going fishing and catching fish in Ketchikan. We have enough Salmon to give to friends and to enjoy some for ourselves for at least the next 6 months!!!

If you're going to Alaska soon, bring warm gloves and socks! Be prepared for rain, and layer up!

Alaska rocks!!!:D

I have to agree with the other posters... I'd eliminate the fleece for wind pants..I used "footless" tights under my jeans the days is was cloudy and damp, but no rain. Fleece vests are great, I'd didn't do the rain gear and I wasn't sorry... I had a rain poncho and only used it once. Hope you have a great trip. I'll be posting a review in the next couple of days and hopefully some pics too.

Just back from 2 weeks in Alaska and I now know what everyone means about layers! Our trip was mostly chilly and rainy, but it never stopped us from doing what we wanted. My silk long johns and water proof jacket were my favorite. I even purchases a dry suit type of jacket from this great store in Anc. I was so glad I did because it kept me so much warmer than my thin ll bean one and I didn't feel so layered.

I wish I had packed a scarf for the glacier viewing days. We were out the whole time in the cold rain and it would have been nice. Also remember to take along a camera lens cloth to wipe the rain off

Archived