Any tips on what to do in Mo Bay with 13 month old?

Jan2007

We'll be cruising with our baby for the first time and are of course looking for things we can do at the ports of call that would be appropriate/easy with a baby. Like close by beaches, maybe all-inclusives that have a day pass - something like that.

I know nothing about Montego Bay and have never been.

Any tips on what would be great ideas?

I don't mean to be a party pooper, but your best bet would probably be to stay on the ship. We took our kids ashore in 2003 when they were 20 months, 5 and 10. When we went back in 2006 we left them onboard in Adventure Ocean. I know that isn't an option for you given your child's age, but we would never take our children to Jamaica again. I just didn't feel safe. We were hounded by the locals and asked to buy drugs many times....even though we had our toddler in a back carrier on my husbands back! The vendors wanted to "give" souveniers to our children and the kids didn't understand what was happening when we said "no thank-you". The five year old was basicly tramatized by the poverty....wanting to know why there was so much garbage and not understanding why people had to live like that. She talked about it for months after. I know that it isn't a bad thing for kids to see the other side of the coin, but it wasn't the right thing for her. Our youngest doesn't remember Jamaica, but from our point of view it just wasn't worth it. Our tablemates were almost robbed after they were asked by a local if they wanted to buy very cheep t-shirts and were taken around the corner of the market. The police saw what was happening and stepped in and beat the man with a billy club! In 2006 my husband and I did the ship's Canopy tour and the kids were happy to stay onboard. We are probably going back next year and they will stay on the ship and we will stick with another ship's tour.

• 2 weeks later...
We'll be cruising with our baby for the first time and are of course looking for things we can do at the ports of call that would be appropriate/easy with a baby. Like close by beaches, maybe all-inclusives that have a day pass - something like that.

We went to Sunset Beach in Montego Bay, very safe, and all inclusive. My cousins baby was three and she had a blast in the lazy river.

• 10 months later...

Any tips on what would be great ideas?

Jan2007,Where did you end up going? We are going to Mo Bay next month and our sun will be 1 year old.

Anyone have any good ideas for a safe day at the beach for us and our 1 year old in Mo Bay?

Thanks!

Chris

Archived