an OMG upgrade!!!!

Hdietsche1

Here I come with my bucket of vinegar. This is NO upgrade. If I understand it, Carnival called and offered to UPSELL him/her to a suite for $500.00 MORE DOLLARS. It is an UPSELL not an upgrade. Upgrades by the cruiseline are FREE, anything else is an upsale. Is it a good deal? Probably, don't know the price of the OV or if it was $500.00 total or $500.pp.

But calling it an upgrade is the same as calling it a banana or an airplane. Its none of those, its an upsell by Carnival.

Must reload vinegar bucket.

Dan

If I remember your posts, ever time someone gets a nice upgrade to a higher deck, that makes them happy, you post that it isnt a upgrade to you, because it is still the same type of cabin. To be a upgrade it must be to a new type of cabin. Going from riveria deck up to the lido deck in a inside cabin, where they just have to stroll down the hall to the buffet doesnt count as a upgrade in your book, even though the person is happy about it.

Here I come with my bucket of vinegar. This is NO upgrade. If I understand it, Carnival called and offered to UPSELL him/her to a suite for $500.00 MORE DOLLARS. It is an UPSELL not an upgrade. Upgrades by the cruiseline are FREE, anything else is an upsale. Is it a good deal? Probably, don't know the price of the OV or if it was $500.00 total or $500.pp.

But calling it an upgrade is the same as calling it a banana or an airplane. Its none of those, its an upsell by Carnival.

Must reload vinegar bucket.

Dan

No vinegar slinging from me. I am too excited. I suppose I misspoke (typed whatever) It was indeed an upsell not an upgrade if you want to be technical. At $500 total I am certainly going to enjoy every minute of it. Wayyyyyyy better than just the window. So if you want to call it a banana that's ok, but I prefer to think of it as my banana split!

I think that Upgrade/Upsell is terrific!

We were offered the SAME one on the Ispiration last week.... for $238pp.

The problem is... there are FIVE of us in the cabin on this cruise, so it would have cost almost $1200.... sad to say we turned it down.

How many days is your cruise? $500 more for a 7 day cruise is outstanding.... for a 3 or 4 day? Maybe not that great.......

but who cares? Is the OP happy? Then terrific!

Catrin

No such thing as VIP debark - only special/early debarkation for platinum cruisers!

Hmmm thats odd, we're not Platinum & with that catagory we got VIP boarding & debarkation "1" to get off the ship. Of course, we didnt get all the other "Platinum Perks" since obviously we werent...working on it though :) So...Platinum gets on before 11am? We're not in THAT big of a hurry to get off the ship! I want on the ship via VIP (with Cat12 & Cat11) as soon as possible to RELAX from the flight.

I am too excited. I am certainly going to enjoy every minute of it. Wayyyyyyy better than just the window. So if you want to call it a banana that's ok, but I prefer to think of it as my banana split!

Hdietsche1,

I'm excited that you are so excited.

So, let me add a bit more to your fun here.

Click on this thread/link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=6392925

Lots of pics of what you are going to get, from before the refurbs to now.

I think that you are really going to be pleased with your choice.

Enjoy!

No vinegar slinging from me. I am too excited. I suppose I misspoke (typed whatever) It was indeed an upsell not an upgrade if you want to be technical. At $500 total I am certainly going to enjoy every minute of it. Wayyyyyyy better than just the window. So if you want to call it a banana that's ok, but I prefer to think of it as my banana split!

As I said before, A good deal Probably!

Now you fill in the blanks with $500 total and between the lines you tell you went from a cat 6 [OV] to a cat.12 [Penthouse Suite]. I'm assuming that's for 2 and it is a very good deal [if more than 2 its an even better deal]

Carnival did the upselling..............

YOU did the upgrading.

Congrats.

Dan

WOW! That is an awesome deal for a total. I am excited for you and I know you all are going to have a ball!

Erica

If I remember your posts, ever time someone gets a nice upgrade to a higher deck, that makes them happy, you post that it isnt a upgrade to you, because it is still the same type of cabin. To be a upgrade it must be to a new type of cabin. Going from riveria deck up to the lido deck in a inside cabin, where they just have to stroll down the hall to the buffet doesnt count as a upgrade in your book, even though the person is happy about it.

The OP was upsold by Carnival, He upgraded himself [wisely] by paying more money. Had Carnival upgraded him from a 6 to a 12, it would have been a TRUE and terrific upgrade.

Its still a bonafide and terrific upgrade that the OP did for himself.

And yes I often say that going from a 6A to a 6X is a relocation, not an upgrade. Moving from the Riveria deck to the Lido deck still in the same cabin category? Consider it whatever you wish. But ask someone that suffers from motion sickness or someone that wants to watch their weight if that high up and/or proximity to food is an upgrade. Or a light sleeper that would rather be way down and quiet.

If you are in a hotel that has a terrific restaurant on the 12th floor and your room is on the 5th floor, would you pay more to be on the 11th floor?

And if so, WHY?

There are umteen thousand tooo many posts about Carnival's magical mystery upgrades when 90 plus percent of them are complete BS.

I book BL gty's all the time and NEVER look to see if a cabin has been assigned. I'd rather be surprised at the luggage drop off. But with EDocs, the surprise is gone. And I've been upgraded once, a number upgrade, not a letter.

Call whatever you want an upgrade, but I'll do likewise.

Dan

I am ok with you questioning Dan, it gives me more information to work with. I was worried at first that I was "duped" but I am feeling pretty good and certainly counting down. It was for 4 by the way. Hubby and two sons 12 and 7. They are even jumping up and down. Last time they went they had to sneak time on Gram and Gramps balcony.

If you are in a hotel that has a terrific restaurant on the 12th floor and your room is on the 5th floor, would you pay more to be on the 11th floor?

And if so, WHY?

Dan

I lived in a ocean front condo in Boca Raton FL. I also had taken real estate courses in appraisal so I knew that the higher floors appraise for more money. I was one story below the top floor in the condo and on the appraisal I got I believe $7,000 for each floor up from the first floor more value for my appraisal for getting a bank loan.

I lived in Hawaii and in Waikiki and Honolulu general area there are some high rise condos and the difference was much greater. My feeling was there are more older people in FL who dont care to be as high up. In Hawaii where people are younger, they are willing to pay more to be higher up and the difference can easily be $30,000 per floor up.

Only you know if its worth it to be on a higher floor, the view probably isnt that much different, but for purposes of value, a higher floor commands a higher price in real estate.

Carnival just called, I went from an OV to A PENTHOUSE!!!!!!!!

Midship like I need, it cost me 500, but omg, I can hardly breathe!!!!

Tell me this is as good as I think it is!!!!!!!!!

That is a very nice cabin. $500.00 sounds like a lot. That is a short cruise, correct? The Inspiration?

Cabin has a very nice sitting area. L-shaped sofa for extra person to sleep on.

Enjoy!

Hmmm thats odd, we're not Platinum & with that catagory we got VIP boarding & debarkation "1" to get off the ship. Of course, we didnt get all the other "Platinum Perks" since obviously we werent...working on it though :) So...Platinum gets on before 11am? We're not in THAT big of a hurry to get off the ship! I want on the ship via VIP (with Cat12 & Cat11) as soon as possible to RELAX from the flight.

I got an "upgrade"/upsell offer today too ($450 diff between our 8D balcony which is only about a $200 less than booking a suite GTY for the 3 of us) and the Carnival guy said the (CAT 11 in this case) included priority embarkation, debarkation, and access to the Purser's concierge desk. That seems contrary to what I've read here. We were in an 11 on our last cruise (in 2006) and only received the priority embarkation (not debarkation). I wonder if they changed it? I think if they added all the suites access to the concierge line that would definitely limit it's usefulness to the platinum members (not one yet, only 3 cruises under my belt, and 4 for my DW) since I'm sure there are many more suite passengers than platinum members...

He also used the line that a group canceled a set of suites and that they're usually the ones to sell first so it was pretty rare. Not sure I believe that. I've been looking online because I've been thinking about upgrading to a suite anyways (my wife likes them, and she gets what she wants... What makes her happy makes me happy!) and I've noticed they had a bunch of Cat 11's and 12's available on our 9/13 Liberty sailing (and those are only the ones the site would show me.)

That is a very nice cabin. $500.00 sounds like a lot. That is a short cruise, correct? The Inspiration?

Cabin has a very nice sitting area. L-shaped sofa for extra person to sleep on.

Enjoy!

$500 for 4 to go from OV to cat 12, thats only $125 per person. Id still take it even on a 5 day. I cant say no to a good sale. lol

OP enjoy, glad the kids are jumping up and down in joy too.

Wow....

I just read that the $500 includes your boys... that is amazing!

I am a bit jealous now too! :)

I wonder why when I got the call last week, they told me the cost was Per Person.. even though there were five of us... and that the kids would be charged the fee too :(

We would have done it for $500 for the family in a HEARTBEAT!!

WTG!

Catrin

Carnival just called, I went from an OV to A PENTHOUSE!!!!!!!!

Midship like I need, it cost me 500, but omg, I can hardly breathe!!!!

Tell me this is as good as I think it is!!!!!!!!!

You got an OK deal for a 5 day cruise.

Its not an upgrade:rolleyes: and its not a real Penthouse suite.Its just a name they stuck on it to make people think they are a big shot.These are the old Fantasy class rooms.You got an upsell.

You got an OK deal for a 5 day cruise.

Its not an upgrade:rolleyes: and its not a real Penthouse suite.Its just a name they stuck on it to make people think they are a big shot.These are the old Fantasy class rooms.You got an upsell.

Wow! Long time no see......where ya been:confused: On a free cruise:confused: :D

I lived in a ocean front condo in Boca Raton FL. I also had taken real estate courses in appraisal so I knew that the higher floors appraise for more money. I was one story below the top floor in the condo and on the appraisal I got I believe $7,000 for each floor up from the first floor more value for my appraisal for getting a bank loan.

I lived in Hawaii and in Waikiki and Honolulu general area there are some high rise condos and the difference was much greater. My feeling was there are more older people in FL who dont care to be as high up. In Hawaii where people are younger, they are willing to pay more to be higher up and the difference can easily be $30,000 per floor up.

Only you know if its worth it to be on a higher floor, the view probably isnt that much different, but for purposes of value, a higher floor commands a higher price in real estate.

Crikey!! I didn't ask you to buy the hotel's 11th floor! I know higher condos are more [at least they were before the bottom fell out:eek::rolleyes:]. And the storm surge washed away the beach AND the stairs over the dune, And the economy went down the chute.--- I just axed if you'd pay more to rent a hotel room for a few nights just because it has a restaurant above it. Same view as IS cabins. How much more would you pay? Me, to save a 5 floor elevator ride, ZiP, NADA, zero.

Dan

A balcony is worth every penny of an upgrade!

As for spending time in the cabin, the balcony draws people to the cabin instead of fighting for space on deck at sailaway or docking, it is also wonderful to sit out there before you go for breakfast, dinner, and before bed!!!!

Crikey!! I didn't ask you to buy the hotel's 11th floor! I know higher condos are more [at least they were before the bottom fell out:eek::rolleyes:]. And the storm surge washed away the beach AND the stairs over the dune, And the economy went down the chute.--- I just axed if you'd pay more to rent a hotel room for a few nights just because it has a restaurant above it. Same view as IS cabins. How much more would you pay? Me, to save a 5 floor elevator ride, ZiP, NADA, zero.

Dan

Well, the same theory fits and why it costs more to have a higher cabin, its thought to be more convenient. I would pay something, not much though, to be higher on a ship. unlike you we cant even do one flight of stairs and so we feel like we are always waiting and taking elevators. I loved when I paid to upgrade to Lido deck, was worth every penny.

We are all different, and I get it, that its not worth anything to you. Iv read quite a few of your posts on the subject when folks ask if they got a nice upgrade and you always rain on their parade. No offense, hope you are not offended, we just disagree that having a higher deck to me is nicer, but not to you. I still like you the same :D

btw we also try and pick closer to elevators, because my sister has mobility problems, and then two future cruises her friend is coming on a walker. We also have to sit only in the back row at the theater. How mobile you are can influence your choice, just my opinion.

I got an "upgrade"/upsell offer today too ($450 diff between our 8D balcony which is only about a $200 less than booking a suite GTY for the 3 of us) and the Carnival guy said the (CAT 11 in this case) included priority embarkation, debarkation, and access to the Purser's concierge desk. That seems contrary to what I've read here. We were in an 11 on our last cruise (in 2006) and only received the priority embarkation (not debarkation). I wonder if they changed it? I think if they added all the suites access to the concierge line that would definitely limit it's usefulness to the platinum members (not one yet, only 3 cruises under my belt, and 4 for my DW) since I'm sure there are many more suite passengers than platinum members...

He also used the line that a group canceled a set of suites and that they're usually the ones to sell first so it was pretty rare. Not sure I believe that. I've been looking online because I've been thinking about upgrading to a suite anyways (my wife likes them, and she gets what she wants... What makes her happy makes me happy!) and I've noticed they had a bunch of Cat 11's and 12's available on our 9/13 Liberty sailing (and those are only the ones the site would show me.)

There have been a spate of threads lately about PVP's saying Platinum perks, or some or most of the perks, go with suites. It is misinformation that is being reported enough that it seems like its intentional. When the issue is pursued up to somebody at CCL that knows what they're doing, the answer is suites get VIP boarding. Nothing else.--[except "The Suite Life."]

Dan

Very interesting.....:p We were offered an upsell last week on the 8/31 Triumph sailing. And the story was...a large group with suites has cancelled....

I was suspicious as to why my PVP wasn't the one calling so I checked it. She said Carnival created a new marketing department to upsell the unsold higher category cabins and see what price point people are willing to pay for the suites. Their offer was to go from a balcony to a Cat. 11 for $400 PER SUITE (we had 2 cabins booked). Our friends on the same sailing were offered the same upgrade for $600 and asked why theirs was higher. They told her it was because I had 2 cabins. Neither one of us took them up on it but from a price point, it was a little less than half of what the normal upgrade price would have been. It wasn't a bad deal at all but for us, we couldn't get adjacent suites so we opted to pass.

I figure if they upsell the suites, that leaves balconies, OV and insides available for them which are easier to sell closer to the sail date. Pretty smart marketing I would say. :)

Archived