Train from Civitavecchia to Florence,overnight hotel then join ship

Has anyone done this - we are sailing on Celebrity and arrive in Civitavecchia and would really like more time in Florence - have thought of taking the train to Florence and overnighting on own at hotel in Florence and re-join ship next day in Livorno.

Thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated - Thanks as always for all the help

Well, I've "jumped ship" for an overnight stay on land. Different port, different cruise line. I mentioned that we were going to overnight ashore and would rejoin the ship to the purser, the officer of the day, our cabin steward and the staff captain. This was done so they wouldn't think we were simply late reboarding. Of course, everyone forgot to tell security and the staff captain told us the next evening that as he heard "Will Mr or Mrs Friedman please call security" he remembered that he forgot.:)

At any rate, with the line I was on, it was not a problem and certainly wasn't a new experience for the crew.

It is easy to get to Florence (train to Termini and then a train to Florence SM.) For the trip to Livorno, you will usually need to change trains at Pisa.

Most trains going Rome to Florence require a reservation. You can buy the ticket and seat reservation at just about any train station or travel agent in Europe. I suggest you do so. None of the other trains require reservations.

Paul

We are planning to do the opposite in November. I sent an email to RCL Sea-Air department and already got approval. We are doing BCN roundtrip this time.

There are some rules on whether this is allowed or not. We tried to get approval 2 years ago when we did Celebrity VCE to BCN. They said Italian law would not allow it. Yet when we boarded and asked, they said no problem just fill out this form. We ended up not doing it because by that time we were exhausted.

I am just glad to have the approval in advance so I can now book my hotel in advance.

Thank you all who responded - did contact Celebrity and they did approve the request so now decision time - although I liked the advice of waiting and see how we feel as long as we could cancel the hotel 24hrs prior

Thanks again for your time and suggestions

Archived