Caribbean Shore Excursions - Recommendations any one?

chyanmor

Now that I have paid the balance am looking at some shore excursions on the po website for the ventura sailing at the beginning of november. Any one had good/bad experiences with any of them and what ones would people recommend?

Sorry here is a list of the islands:-

Barbados

St. Vincent - Windward Islands

Bonaire - Dutch Antilles

Aruba - Dutch Antilles

Catalina Island - Dominican Republic

Tortola - B.V.I.

St. Maarten - Leeward Islands

St. Lucia - Windward Islands

Martinique

Grenada - Windward Islands

Right, well first thing to say is that everyone likes doing different things so I can only tell you about trips we have done. We are not beach people so I cannot really say which are the best beaches.

Catalina Island: this is a so-called "private island". P&O take bar and bbq facilities over and set up on the beach. You can then buy drinks using your usual card and then go and get a bbq lunch which you can either sit at long tables and eat or take back to your lounger. There are loungers all over the beach for you to use. If you like snorkelling one tip is that as you get off the tender to your right is an area of beach which goes up to the side of some rocks. Last time we went my husband snorkelled from there and he said it was much better than on the left side which extends a long way. There are some traders who set up shop on the beach. Beware of sand flies on the island though, take some insect repellant. If you walk up the path to your right there is an interesting walk out to a headland and you can see all sorts of small animals darting about.

St. Vincent: Last time we went on a trip which took in the Botanical Gardens, Fort Charlotte and then a drive across the island and stopped at a beach hotel for a drink on their verandah. It's an island you don't see the best of if you stay round the port area.

Tortola: There are lots of trips on offer. You can usually go on one to the neighbouring island of Virgin Gouda to an amazingly rocky area called The Baths where you can snorkel. It's also worth doing a trip round the island - it's beautiful with some amazing views. You usually stop at various places including Pusser's Bar which has fantastic Rum Punch.

St. Maarten: If you're interested there is an America's Cup Yacht Racing trip which my husband did and loved it. You don't have to know about sailing but if you do you'll get given a job to do. You then race against another yacht. Last time we went on a trip which covered both the French and Dutch sides of the island which was interesting. It's also the place for duty free shopping. You can just get the water ferry boat across to the main shopping area.

St. Lucia: Warning, it rains in St. Lucia, not usually for long. We've been there 4 times and it's rained each time so it's worth having waterproofs. The best trip is the Land and Sea Trip - one of the best we've done. It's a full day trip. If you do it get down to the dockside early and make sure you do the land section first. If you do it the other way round you end up damp and sticky for the land section assuming you swim.

This trip takes you to various view points, then to the Volcano at Soufriere where the smell of the sulphur is ugh! You also visit some beautiful botanical gardens. Then you have a lunch at a Plantation Hotel and that was lovely, beautiful flowers. After this you get taken to meet the Catamaran and then have a sail back to the ship. You stop on the way for snorkelling and swimming and there's free drinks, rum punch or just fruit, steel band music playing - just great.

Well that's the only islands I can help with and I've just told you what we have done. I know some people just take a taxi and spend the day on one of the lovely beaches - up to you what you prefer.

Annie:)

Annie

That sounds wonderful! Thanks on behalf of lots of us for taking the time to type that.

I will print off what you have written too, and keep it for when we get to the Caribbean - haven't done Caribbean yet - its on the list of place to go along with the Panama Canal.

Next year we are doing the Fjords, any info for that cruise?

Stavanger

Olden

Bergen

Alesund

Sue

Hi

I can recommend Cosol Tours for St Lucia (full day), It is worth looking him up on the St Lucia bit under destinations on this website, you will find loads of great reccommendations on there. We are doing the same trip again this year as it was so much fun and really good value.

I have not done the P&O tours though as I could not afford them as we have to pay for 2 teenagers (full price)!!

Just an alternative to think about, Fiona x x

Annie

That sounds wonderful! Thanks on behalf of lots of us for taking the time to type that.

I will print off what you have written too, and keep it for when we get to the Caribbean - haven't done Caribbean yet - its on the list of place to go along with the Panama Canal.

Next year we are doing the Fjords, any info for that cruise?

Stavanger

Olden

Bergen

Alesund

Sue

Sue

Olden is the most beatiful place, just like a chocolate box. We did the fjords on Oriana and sat on the Terrace Bar as we sailed out each evening. Can't recommend any tours.

Regarding the Caribbean, we were there at Christmas and in most ports there were between 2 and 5 other cruise ships which means that between 3 and 8000 visitors were in the ports. These ports basically manufacture nothing and sell trinkets and rum to tourists. Personally I would go to a beach or stay on board and lounge by the uncrowded pool.:)

What a lovely intinery.

We stayed in Aruba a few years ago and loved it. Very different to any of the other islands as its desert. The ship docks right in the middle of the main town so very convenient for shopping. Lovely town, a very safe island with none of the usual poverty. As I said we were staying in an hotel and often in the morning we would catch a bus into town before spending the afternoon on the beach. You can catch a bus acrosss the road from the dock at the bus station. Look out for the bus with 'High Rise' on it. This bus goes to the western part of the island going past the 'low rise' hotels first and then terminates at the 'high rise' hotels. You can then go down onto the beach. The buses run regularly and are very cheap (use US dollars), not worth the expense of a taxi.

St Lucia we stayed on Reduit beach which is lovely. When we cruised there last year we shared a mini bus at the dock and went to reduit and then waled along the beach to Pidgeon island and then caught a taxi back on our own. We could have stayed on the beach and caught a taxi back with the others but we know this place well and wanted to revisit our favourite places. We had very good weather, but yes it does have plenty of liquid sun, thats why its so beautiful.. Short and sharp usually, check out the size of the gulleys by the side of the road and guttering on the buildings! The trip annieuk described also sounded good and another option if you want something organised. A trip into the rain forest would also be interesting. Its an experience to see our UK indoor plants growing the size of trees!

Catalina - we stayed in a hotel near there a couple of years ago and its a popular place to visit. As annieuk said the tours set up a bbq on the beach. Lovely place but I would agree with the insect repellant.

Hope this helps.

Archived