Naples to Positano on own?

We have stayed in sorrento before, visited Capri and have also done a quick tour through the Amalfi coast on a previous med cruise. However, I have not spent any time in Positano, Amalfi or Ravello which I thought was beautiful when we were on the amalfi coast tour. We are taking another med cruise that docks in Naples. Since I'm "somewhat" familiar with the area, can I get to Positano and the other towns on our own? I'm thinking about bus or hydrofoil to Sorrento and then bus to Positano? I"m not sure how often the bus runs between Sorrento and Positano, how far it is, where it drops you off at, etc. and if it's worth the hassle of doing it on our own. I hate to spend $500 euro for a private driver since I've been to alot of the places before. Thanks.

The bus from Sorrento to Positano is the local SITA bus, and they run quite regularly (usually at least once every 45 min). When the link works, you can fund the bus schedule at :

http://www.sitabus.it/sitabus/campania/orarioCA2007/QUADROXVsorrentosalerno_.pdf

The nice thing is that the SITA blue bus leaves from the Sorrento train station. When you get to the station (take the Circumvesuviania Line from Naples) you should buy your bus ticket from the news stand or any nearby tobacco shop. As to doing it on your own. since we do almost everything on our own (and love every minute) I cannot be objective.

Hank

Since I"ve only seen Positano from the road and have not been to the town itself, any thoughts from those that have been there on if getting there on our own is worth the hassle for half a day? I thought we could wander around on our own and have lunch. From there we could go back to sorrento for a while. Our next choice is Capri. When we were there last time it became cold and rained so I'm sure if it was a nice day out it would be a different experience.

Archived