Hawaii Spirit Room Questions

JTfromGA

I am booking a Carnival Cruise onboard the Spirit for Sept 2009 through my Carnival PVP. We think we will do the cruise that starts in Hawaii and ends in Ensaennada. I believe the right side of the ship is the best side for viewing the islands when underway but would like to hear from someone who has been there. Also, we have decided on an Obstructed Balcony (5157) due to cost. Is it worth the extra bucks for a regular balcony and if so, what room and deck would you recommend? I would appreciate any feedback from fellow cruisers!!

Janice

I am booking a Carnival Cruise onboard the Spirit for Sept 2009 through my Carnival PVP. We think we will do the cruise that starts in Hawaii and ends in Ensaennada. I believe the right side of the ship is the best side for viewing the islands when underway but would like to hear from someone who has been there. Also, we have decided on an Obstructed Balcony (5157) due to cost. Is it worth the extra bucks for a regular balcony and if so, what room and deck would you recommend? I would appreciate any feedback from fellow cruisers!!

Janice

Personally, I would never want an obstructed view balcony. A balcony is very important to me and I spend a lot of time out there enjoying the sea, reading, enjoying port view, etc.

However, on this cruise, you have several "at sea" days with not much to view other than the ocean. In addition, the Hawaii itinerary is very port intensive and you will more than likely be spending a lot of time ashore.

I guess it's a personal choice that only you can make.

Thanks for the advice! After some soul searching and checkbook balancing, I think we will upgrade to either the regular or extended balcony rooms depending on what is available. Afterall, how many times will we take a 12 day cruise? Retirement is still a few years off and my sweetie gave me a choice: work or no more cruises. That was an easy answer, just not what I wanted. Here's to the time I won't have to work and still go on cruises.... YEAH!!!!

Janice

We did that exact same cruise on a obstructed balcony. The only obstruction was looking down because the lifeboats were below us. Didn't obstruct us at all. We have done that and the extended balcony. The balcony is bigger but depending on the price the obstructed was nice too.

Have fun! We've been on the Spirit 3 times.

Thanks for the advice! After some soul searching and checkbook balancing, I think we will upgrade to either the regular or extended balcony rooms depending on what is available. Afterall, how many times will we take a 12 day cruise? Retirement is still a few years off and my sweetie gave me a choice: work or no more cruises. That was an easy answer, just not what I wanted. Here's to the time I won't have to work and still go on cruises.... YEAH!!!!

Janice

We were in an extended balcony, (left side) on deck 8, the Panorama Deck (toward the aft). Great location, but the noise from the above (Lido) area were a bit loud at times. Lots of rolling, and dragging noise from the food carts and chairs. Oh, and we thought our room smelled food all the time! If I were to do it again I would just go for the regular balcony on deck 7 (Verandah) or 6 ( Empress). Or get a Cat. 11 mini suite.

We took this cruise in 2004, so things may have changed since then.

Back then (if I recall correct) we were docked in Honolulu, Maui (2 nights) and Hilo. With the exception of Honolulu all of the other areas are shipping areas...not what we expected at all.

BTW- the extended balcony we had DID look down on the life boats and that was not an obst. balcony room. The Obst balcony rooms have the french doors. And I think are on deck 5

We tendered in Kauai and Kona. Now i think the Spirit also stops in Maui (Lahainia) and they tender there as well.

HTH-

I read from other threads about the problem of noise (chairs scraping) from the Lido deck. I plan on being on the Verandah or Empress Deck. Still considering whether to stay with obst., reg. or extended balcony. Guess I'll decide tomorrow before all the rooms are gone.

Janice

I think my PVP is going crazy with all my changes, no she's great and very patient with me. I booked an extended Balcony 727 onboard the Spirit for my Hawii Cruise Sept 09. Thanks for the advice and suggestions!!!

Janice:o :) :o

Archived