Big stroller or umbrella stroller

gkrnjlr

Which stroller?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Which stroller?

• Big comfy stroller
    • Umbrella stroller

As mentioned in another thread....I'm pretty much starting this one to add a poll and see where the poll ends up.

My daughter is going to be 9 months while we're cruising next month and she does still fit into her infant carrier/car seat. We're trying to decide which stroller to take....

DH says that he wants to take the umbrella stroller and tote around the car seat.

I opt for taking the larger stroller that the carrier/car seat snaps into because you'll be pushing your stroller AND car seat together and won't have to be lugging anything extra around. There is also a cup holder and larger basket on the bottom to hold a purse, diaper bag or whatever else.

Both the big stroller and the umbrella recline, and they both have the shade that can be pulled out.

What is your vote?

Sorry for asking this again but it's our last (only?) thing we're trying to decide on.

Thanks!

I could be wrong -- but I think a big stroller system would be miserable. First, the halls for the cabins are extremely narrow and often have the steward's cart partially blocking it. Second, elevators are often crammed and a big stroller would take up a lot of room. Third, storing it in the room would stink... and take up your entire closet.

I vote with your husband. A quality umbrella (MacClaren or the like) would be (and is) my first choice.

Of course YMMV.

:)

The larger stroller systems we have had would have made me crazy. I would have felt like I was pushing a bus around the ship! :eek:

Also, you will often want the stroller while on board (and possibly in port) when you are not needing the car seat. You'll have M~U~C~H more time with just the umbrella, so the smaller the better IMO!

We're cruising in April and are planning to bring our regular-sized stroller for what will be our 7-8 month old. I understand the space concerns, but the carrier undocks from the base of the stroller, which folds up to be relatively compact; plus we don't want to bring two strollers on a trip that will also include visiting relatives and a train ride. We're also bringing our ErgoBaby (Bjorn-like thing) for those times when the stroller will not be convenient. Hopefully the two will complement each other nicely.

We're cruising in April and are planning to bring our regular-sized stroller for what will be our 7-8 month old. I understand the space concerns, but the carrier undocks from the base of the stroller, which folds up to be relatively compact; plus we don't want to bring two strollers on a trip that will also include visiting relatives and a train ride. We're also bringing our ErgoBaby (Bjorn-like thing) for those times when the stroller will not be convenient. Hopefully the two will complement each other nicely.

Do you have a picture of your stroller or one very similar to it?

I do think that the "comfy stroller" as I call it would be a pain in the hallways and elevator, which would cause us to wait and let others go first in order to avoid tight fits and making others uncomfortable. I'm starting to lean towards the umbrella stroller. We do have a nice one but no cup holder or larger size basket.

Thanks everyone

I will be traveling in Nov with my then 11 month old twins and I plan to bring my double stroller. We thought about taking two unbrella strollers but on my last cruise I saw people with double strollers that had no problems. My stroller is compact and fits through a regular house door and folds small enough to fit through an airport scanner.

I voted for the umbrella stroller because I think it will be much easier in the long run. However, having the car seat attach to the big stroller is a big plus. FYI Combi makes an umbrella stroller that fits an infant seat - great for travelling. I assume this isn't an option, but, if you have friend who has one, then maybe it could be? :p

If my daughter were still pretty small I'd probably invest in one! She's close to being out of her infant carrier now. None of my friends have the Combi one you mentioned either. Sounds great!

I really wonder just how much "in the way" does a "big" stroller get in?

Common courtesy tells us to wait to get off the ship for ports after the rush/crowd, and go to the Lido dining and stay out of the way or go on off peak times, etc., but how much will we be in the way IF we take the stroller around the ship anyway?

If my daughter were still pretty small I'd probably invest in one! She's close to being out of her infant carrier now. None of my friends have the Combi one you mentioned either. Sounds great!

I really wonder just how much "in the way" does a "big" stroller get in?

Common courtesy tells us to wait to get off the ship for ports after the rush/crowd, and go to the Lido dining and stay out of the way or go on off peak times, etc., but how much will we be in the way IF we take the stroller around the ship anyway?

I've done 4 cruises with my double stroller - a big tandem Graco Duo Glider - with absolutely no problem at all, and I've been glad to have it in port and on board for sturdiness and convenience. I'm never in a rush to get on an elevator - there are sometimes much more important and busier people ;) who will jump in front of us, but I don't let it bother me. As it happens, another elevator always comes along. I do take a cabin near the elevators when possible, but besides the narrow corridors, I have no problem getting the stroller around the decks or public areas. With the ramps, automatic doors and wide aisles all in place for wheelchairs, a full size stroller isn't a problem - and the comfort means my girls will stay and sleep in it, so I can keep going.

Best,

Mia

I like to be out and about on cruises, not stuck in my cabin. I brought a smaller sized stroller (but bigger than an umbrella) when my daughter was 10 months. She would not sleep in the umbrella stroller and would sleep in the one we brought. She would nap (we brought a light weight blanket to cover all of her) and we could sit by the pool and take turns going in for a dip. Was also great in port as we did not have to work around her schedule as much as we would have if she had to nap in the cabin.

We do have an "in between" stroller that is similar to an umbrella stroller that has a SMALL basket on it and what I consider a cruddy cup holder (mesh that doesn't really support the cup very well). We could take that one, but then we'd be stuck carrying the car seat again.

How important IS a car seat while on cruise? If our hotel (which will pick us up after the cruise is over) will keep the car seat there with them......I'd be half tempted to leave the car seat behind.

All of that said I am still thinking that the EASIEST would be the stroller that the infant carrier snaps into.

Can you tell I just don't know to take? :confused:

Mia- LOVE that pic!!

Back on topic-

I did some similar research about 6 months ago- and ended up getting a Combi stroller- Folds up small like an umbrella, and is light weight.. but more substantail than a Volo..(Although I love those too!)

So far we have really liked it- we take it on our boat every weekend as a trial for our Med cruise in May- It is the perfect combination of portability and usability for us.

Its a compromise solution of sorts..

Mia- LOVE that pic!!

Back on topic-

I did some similar research about 6 months ago- and ended up getting a Combi stroller- Folds up small like an umbrella, and is light weight.. but more substantail than a Volo..(Although I love those too!)

So far we have really liked it- we take it on our boat every weekend as a trial for our Med cruise in May- It is the perfect combination of portability and usability for us.

Its a compromise solution of sorts..

Is this a stroller that can be used for quite a while? Not just as an infant? And does it have a cup holder and basket?

I'd love to see a link for it or a picture.

Thanks!

The Combi strollers can be used into preschool. They are quite compact (they fold compactly, especially for all the features they have) and are very light weight. They don't have a ton of features like a full sized stroller, but have many more than a typically umbrella stroller (adjustable canopy, small storage area, removable cup holder, etc.). Also, they will fit their infant seat (don't think they are compatible with other car seats).

I wouldn't purchase an infant carrier to fit this stroller unless I needed an infant carrier; however, the stroller was great when my girls were small - so much so that I bought TWO! :) (Mine is an older version that doesn't have a cup holder and has shorter handles, but I still loved it and used it any time we travelled on vacation or to short trips to the mall.)

You can find Combi's website at http://www.combi-intl.com/.

It absolutely can be used for a LT-It has a basket and 2 cup holders. It can hold up to 55 lbs, and weighs 12 lbs of I recall correctly. ts very funky- the bar you see twists when it folds- There are several models- google combi strollers and the combii website is great- The one I got is below and it is called the Flex. it has all the stats and videos of someone folding the stroller- It is very easy to use. The strap makes it easy to sling over your shoulder if you need to carry it. I have been very pleased. It is also fairly narrow so easy to manoever through ship hallways- Some are wider than the stateroom doors- meaning you have to wake the child up to get him inside- this one will fit just fine..

CBI1285_m.jpg

Archived