Need suggestions for Calica/Playa del Carmen

gebo

My sister and I are taking our mother cruising for her 94th birthday (her request). She has a transport chair and we have no problem pushing her around. What can we do in Calica/Playa del Carmen that does not involve a bumpy road. I thought we might go to town, what do you think? My sister is not overly fond of shopping; what else is there to do? Please help.

We had lunch at La Buena Vida in Akumal which was absolutely a beautiful beach. I could have stayed there all day - but it was just one stop in a busy day. I believe it was about 20-30 minutes south of Calica.

Another idea would be to contact Edventure Tours. They usually do tours with a lot of activities (snorkeling, Tulum, etc.) but they will customize the day to accommodate whatever you want to do. I highly recommend these people - they were fantastic and gave us a day we will never forget. They could give you ideas about what would best meet your preferences and limitations. Check out their website and read the guest book page. Everyone who spends a day with them has a great time.

How fantastic that your mother at 94 is adventurous enough to go on a cruise. I hope all three of you have a great time.

I wish I could remember better. It seems like the main highway was paved and I don't remember it being bumpy. In Cozumel - we had a wild taxi ride. In contrast, Memo from Edventure Tours was our driver and he has the nickname Turtle. We chatted with him all the way to Tulum and he was so informative. I don't remember what the roads were like. I think there were speed bumps leaving the actual port area - but you would probably encounter that no matter which direction you headed. You could contact Edventure Tours and ask them specifically about the roads. Bonnie is very helpful and answered many silly questions for me: edventure68@hotmail.com If you e-mail Bonnie, please tell her Patty from Ohio with the 12 kids said hi. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask. We had such a good time at our Calica stop. I am disappointed that more ships don't stop there. We wanted to try a different ship on our next cruise, but really hated not doing another Edventure tour.

The main road that you will be on is Highway 307 regardless if you go south towards Akumal or if you go north toward PDC. The highway is a great road and not bumpy at all. It does have Topes which are big speed bumps every so often but if you are just going into PDC there are not any speed bumps to deal with. It's a great road so you shouldn't have any problems. Have a great trip!

Archived