Mykonos - cost of tours to Delos?

Hi,

We're sailing on the Galaxy in Oct - there will be 2 cruise ships in Mykonos that day and we get there about 7am. It seems there are sometimes problems with docking at Mykonos and then you have to wait hours to tender. I'm thinking of booking the cruise tour to Delos to hopefully avoid this potential issue and I know it's a morning excursion which would leave time to shop,eat and look around Mykonos Town.

Has anyone done the tour on their own and how much did it cost?

Thanks

Tinka14

Delos is a DON'T MISS site. It was one of the major religious sanctuaries of the ancient world. Whatever diety was there, his presence can still be felt by those that will seek it.

It is so easy to do the ship's tour. I guess you can get on the same ferry yourself, but I think that a guide at the site is really necessary. It is a huge place and trying to walk around yourself, even with a guidebook, and find the major antiquities would be very difficult.

Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/med.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

We had no other option than the ship's tour, since we docked in the afternoon, after the public ferries stopped running. It was US $63 pp, and we felt it was a good value since the guide was excellent and really added value to the tour for us.

You can also hire guided tours on your own-- e.g. http://mykonos-accommodation.com/delos.htm , and/or download a good guidemap and tour independently (ex. http://www.go2mykonos.com/Delos_mykonos.html ). Both options would probably cost less than the ship's tour. You would probably have to do quite a bit of reading to equal a local guide's knowledge, though.

You can check http://www.porttime.com/ to see if there are many other ships tendering, in which case you would definitely be better off taking the ship's morning tour in order to get off faster.

We went to Delos on our own. Here is an excerpt from our review of our May 2008 cruise.

Today we planned to take the ferry to Delos and walk around town. We paid to take the ship’s shuttle into town because we knew the road was very narrow and the traffic was heavy. Unfortunately we just missed the 9:00 ferry so we walked around a little while and bought tickets for the 10:00 ferry. These ferries get crowded so I wouldn’t wait until the last minute to get a ticket. The ferry was 12E PP which was more than the guide books quoted. The ride was 45 minutes and we had to buy tickets to Delos for 5E when we got off. We thought the ferry ticket included our admission and so did a lot of other people. Of course with everyone getting off the ferry the line for tickets was pretty long but it moved pretty quickly. The only WC is in the museum or on the ferry. Ask for a map which is pretty good and the signage is good also. We walked around both routes saw the museum and climbed to the highest point in a little over 2 hours and took the 1:30 ferry back. We got to see most of the main sites but we did not read all the signs as they were pretty lengthy. Since it was May it was not too hot but I would think in the summer it would be. There is a snack bar at the museum. This is a large site that requires a lot of walking on uneven paths that are not well maintained. I had also read a lot of the history of Delos before we went so we had no trouble without a guide. In May there were only three ferries a day to Delos (9,10&11) but I would think they add more in summer. Return ferries were at 12, 1:30,& 3:00. We enjoyed Delos very much. The ruins, scenery, and wildflowers were beautiful.

Delos is indeed a must see and we enjoyed it very much during our Med cruise last year. A warning though. If you are prone to seasickness be prepared. Seas around Mykonos and Delos can get rough when the winds are high. We had no problems on the ferry outbound, but on the return we experienced 6 foot swells that bounced the ferry all around. They even had to close the seating on the open decks because waves were crashing over the bow. I came just a few minutes shy of tossing my cookies and that was despite having taken a Bonine that day. I'd say half the boat looked quite green as well when we disembarked.

Archived