Grand Cayman for Jr. open water diver

heydn62

I understand diving the wall is probably not an option for my 11 year old son with the Junior diver certification. I'll probably look at booking a guided shore dive for us from Eden Rock, but I wanted to see if anyone had any advice or suggestions before we firm up plans. We are newly certified and this will be our 1st "fun" dive. We'll be there in October from 8a-4p.

We're booked with Alison in Cozumel the following day.

Thanks,

I understand diving the wall is probably not an option for my 11 year old son with the Junior diver certification. I'll probably look at booking a guided shore dive for us from Eden Rock, but I wanted to see if anyone had any advice or suggestions before we firm up plans. We are newly certified and this will be our 1st "fun" dive. We'll be there in October from 8a-4p.

We're booked with Alison in Cozumel the following day.

Thanks,

Just for comparison, you might contact the sunset house divers at www.sunsethouse.com. They're just down the road from Eden Rock and they have an easy entry/exit on their house reef.

Randall

I'd also recommend a shore dive or a shallower dive as your first "fun dive" (for both of you).

Also, FYI, last year we looked at the ship's excursion on Cayman and they would not allow Junior Open Water divers to book that due to their age and depth limitations.

In our experience, independent operators have always been better than ship diving excursions anyway. Have fun!

I'd also recommend a shore dive or a shallower dive as your first "fun dive" (for both of you).

Also, FYI, last year we looked at the ship's excursion on Cayman and they would not allow Junior Open Water divers to book that due to their age and depth limitations.

In our experience, independent operators have always been better than ship diving excursions anyway. Have fun!

I've heard lots of negatives about the ships' excursions. I was considering it though until I found out Royal Caribbean has a minimum age of 12.

I'm still checking on a couple of other options, but I think we'll probably go with Eden Rock.

Thanks to all for the advice.

Archived