Just got an e-mail from Meyer Ship Yards Re: Solstice

RCCLCARIB

My two big concerns with the new Solstice debut are that (1) the food and service will deteriorate for six months as they did when Celebrity tried to launch two very small ships under the Azamara umbrella.

(2) My second concern will be that these large floating shopping centers will take a tremendous staff and will be taking away from all the other Celebrity ships. With Celebrity well known for not maintaining ships as well as most other mainstream cruise lines, my fear is that now Celebrity will turn what little interest it had in ship maintenance and place all their interest in these new mega money makers.

From my conversations with existing crew as well as other postings on this board, =X= is offering their best employees a chance to work on the new Solstice. While there will always be growing pains associated with any new vessel, it will not be due to green employees. In addition, I've heard that the Solstice will offer private sleeping quarters for it's crew which (in my undertanding) is a leap ahead of (most if not all) existing ships where workers have to share cabins. If true this will also act to attract good crew members.

My experience has been that the =X= ships are immaculately maintained, so I'm not sure what your comment is based on.

My two big concerns with the new Solstice debut are that (1) the food and service will deteriorate for six months as they did when Celebrity tried to launch two very small ships under the Azamara umbrella.

(2) My second concern will be that these large floating shopping centers will take a tremendous staff and will be taking away from all the other Celebrity ships. With Celebrity well known for not maintaining ships as well as most other mainstream cruise lines, my fear is that now Celebrity will turn what little interest it had in ship maintenance and place all their interest in these new mega money makers.

Why do you feel that Celebrity is well known for not maintaining their ships and have little interest in their ship maintenance? Is this just an opinion or has this been documented somewhere other than on the threads here on CC that pop up now and again from Celebrity naysayers??? Or, am I just traveling on the ones that are immaculately kept up? :rolleyes:

I'm sure that Celebrity will keep all their ships staffed with their usual efficiency.

I have cruised on the M-Class ships extensively, and have not found these ships to have maintenance issues.

It does sound that the S-Class ships may not be a good fit for you.

Celebrity successfully launched Azamara (not 'tried to' as you indicate) ... and the comments on food from many who have cruised on Journey and Quest are that it's the best they've had on a cruise. Also, while the ships are small, Celebrity actually has one much smaller ship (Xpedition) which has also proved to be a huge success.

Archived