St Thomas:Champagne Catamaran vs Buck Island vs private charter

sareid

We (2 adults and 2 kids-all experienced snorkellers and swimmers) will be in St Thomas in a few months on the Costa Atlantica and are trying to decide what to do. We want to snorkel, and sail and see some of the beaches . We are trying to decide between the champagne catamaran excursion which goes to Honeymoon Beach; the Buck Island excursion which is on a 6 person sailboat (my main concern is it says that you learn to sail the boat- I don't want to sail it- just want to relax!!) or booking a trip with one of the local providers (Interline). The ship's excursions are actually cheaper but I would like to hear people's opinions as I would really like to make this day special. Does anyone have any experience with the champagne catamaran- my main concern is how crowded it might be and whether it gets a little crazy with people drinking too much champagne or punch!! Any advice would be appreciated.

We (2 adults and 2 kids-all experienced snorkellers and swimmers) will be in St Thomas in a few months on the Costa Atlantica and are trying to decide what to do. We want to snorkel, and sail and see some of the beaches . We are trying to decide between the champagne catamaran excursion which goes to Honeymoon Beach; the Buck Island excursion which is on a 6 person sailboat (my main concern is it says that you learn to sail the boat- I don't want to sail it- just want to relax!!) or booking a trip with one of the local providers (Interline). The ship's excursions are actually cheaper but I would like to hear people's opinions as I would really like to make this day special. Does anyone have any experience with the champagne catamaran- my main concern is how crowded it might be and whether it gets a little crazy with people drinking too much champagne or punch!! Any advice would be appreciated.

We just got back from our cruise. We did go on the champagne catamaran excursion to Honeymoon Beach. It was OKAY, but we were not impressed. It wasn't a beach that I would go back to visit nor a boat that I would pay for again. The beach was small and the boat was crowded. The next time we go back to St. Thomas, we are planning on going to St. John on our own. We had heard that alot of people did that and had a great time. St. John has some many beautiful beaches to see and snorkel at.

If you go to St. Maarten, check out the Golden Eagle. Now that was a GREAT trip. It was a 76 foot catamaran with clean bathrooms. The beach was great and the snorkeling was enjoyable. It did have alot of people on the boat but there was plenty of room. We sat in the front and got soaked!! FUN FUN FUN!!

Tracy

To: Momof2boys

We are booked on the champagne catamaran for our upcoming cruise. Our description says it goes to St. John. Is that where Honeymoon Beach is? I am concerned now because the tour is costly, and I don't want to be crammed aboard a catamaran like a bunch of sardines. Also, I hate the thought of a crummy restroom for a four hour tour. My cruise is on HAL. Do you think the tour provider will be the same as yours? Please advise?

We are going to St. Maarten too. Do you think the Golden Eagle is the way to go? I can't do both catamaran trips because I can't take that much sun.

Thanks.

Thank you. I realize that I goofed in my original post- the champagne catamaran does go to St John (not Honeymoon Beach) so I am interested in anyone's experience with this. Also there is another option- a catamaran called the Spirit of St Christopher that goes to Christmas Cove /St James Island. Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks

We just got back from our cruise. We did go on the champagne catamaran excursion to Honeymoon Beach. It was OKAY, but we were not impressed. It wasn't a beach that I would go back to visit nor a boat that I would pay for again. The beach was small and the boat was crowded. The next time we go back to St. Thomas, we are planning on going to St. John on our own. We had heard that alot of people did that and had a great time. St. John has some many beautiful beaches to see and snorkel at.

If you go to St. Maarten, check out the Golden Eagle. Now that was a GREAT trip. It was a 76 foot catamaran with clean bathrooms. The beach was great and the snorkeling was enjoyable. It did have alot of people on the boat but there was plenty of room. We sat in the front and got soaked!! FUN FUN FUN!!

Tracy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

My husband & I were did the Buck Island excursion July 2003. It was AWESOME! Our boat actually only had 4 people instead of 6. This excursion, though, was sold out. So be sure to book in advance.

We were aboard the "Jolly Mon" sailboat with a couple who once lived on this boat for 3 years! Now they live on St. Thomas and make money by hosting cruise boat guests on their sailboat. We didn't help sail the boat, but the couple talked with us about their sailing experiences. The ride out to Buck Island was lovely- approx. 20-30 mins. Once there, the wife geared us up with equipment for the snorkeling aspect of the excursion. She lead us through the reef, popping back up now and again to talk about what was under the water. She pointed out fish, searched out an eel, and given gave us some history about the reef. There is a wreckage to see, too. So, the excursion involved lots of swimming and is definitely for those who've snorkeling before. The water is deep and you swim a little more than 100 yards, maybe 200.

On the way back from the reef, the couple served us rum punch. My husband and I opted to sit near the front of the boat on the leg back. Lots of fun, since the boat was nearly sideways sometimes. Had to hold on for dear life :D

We were on Royal Caribbean's Adventure of the Seas, btw.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived