Harv and Marv whale watching

dcu

Just returned from a wonderful Alaskan cruise aboard The Pearl.

We booked Harv and Marv Whale Watching Tours through Harv's wife Eileen. She was very helpful and pleasant.

We were a group of 10 so needed to split into both their boats. It was fine as we were often side by side. We were lucky with gorgeous weather.

We had pre-arranged for Harv's daughter to bring us home made delicious cookies, which she sailed up to us on her kayak. A nice touch and a treat for the kids!

The whale watching was pretty good. We saw lots of humpbacks and seals.

Both Harv and Marv were very personable and easy going.

A very nice added touch was our driver who picked us up at the dock, named Sandy, took us on a few stops on the way back. We stopped at Mendelhall Glacier, as well as a salmon hatchery. We enjoyed and appreciated both these stops.

I would definitely recommend this trip to the travelers in Juneau!

Just returned from a wonderful Alaskan cruise aboard The Pearl.

We booked Harv and Marv Whale Watching Tours through Harv's wife Eileen. She was very helpful and pleasant.

We were a group of 10 so needed to split into both their boats. It was fine as we were often side by side. We were lucky with gorgeous weather.

We had pre-arranged for Harv's daughter to bring us home made delicious cookies, which she sailed up to us on her kayak. A nice touch and a treat for the kids!

The whale watching was pretty good. We saw lots of humpbacks and seals.

Both Harv and Marv were very personable and easy going.

A very nice added touch was our driver who picked us up at the dock, named Sandy, took us on a few stops on the way back. We stopped at Mendelhall Glacier, as well as a salmon hatchery. We enjoyed and appreciated both these stops.

I would definitely recommend this trip to the travelers in Juneau!

Thanks for posting! I am getting so excited about our upcoming trip. We booked Harv and Marv, too and making the arrangements with Eileen was easy and very organized. JUst about a month to go!

We did Harv and Marv's in early June. SPECTACULAR!!! They are just so personable and knowledgeable and very, very excitable! You can tell they love what they do! Would recommed them highly and can't wait to whale watch with them again next time in AK - 2010 hopefully! Glad you enjoyed your excursion with them as much as we did!:)

Thanks so much for letting us all know that you enjoyed the Harv & Marv excursion. I booked them for our cruise too. A question: Clothing-wise...are we ok to just go in our jeans and a jacket (rain repellant, it won't soak in)?

:-) Bobbi in So Cal

Yup, jeans and sweatshirts was our wardrobe of choice, with our rain jackets along too (but we didn't need them - had a stunningly gorgeous day in Juneau this time out!). I wore a hooded sweatshirt, and when the boat was moving, I had it up because it was a bit nippy. But didn't need gloves or anything. While sitting still and watching the whales, we were perfectly fine with just the sweatshirt. Hope you have great weather and great luck whale watching! Say hi to Jay (Marv this year!) from Lynda and Gary from PA. Happy Watching!:p

Just to add my 2 cents....we were with Harv and Marv week before last and I cannot say enough about the entire company. From Sandy who picked us up at the port to the boat tour and the tour back to the ship.

We were very lucky to see a pod of orcas and the humpbacks put on quite a lovely show for us. We had the four of us and another lovely couple on our boat and plenty of roam room. It was just a fantastic day for us.

A question: Clothing-wise...are we ok to just go in our jeans and a jacket

We sailed with Harv & Marv June 20, and had a great time. We started with jackets and sweatshirts with our jeans, at one point we were down to our T-shirts, and wishing we had worn our shorts. It all depends. Be ready for cold and wet, then be excited when it turns out to be warm.

markmom18- My teenage son and I took a N/B cruise on HAL in early July. Harv & Marv was one of the highlights of the trip; we also took a helo flight with Coastal and it's hard to say which one was #1.

I noticed you're from SoCal too (we're from OC) and have clothing questions. The weather was rain in the AM, usually ending by noon with temps between 55-65. After Vancouver, we only saw the sun once in College Fjord (also later when we drove up to Denali). Our daily uniform was jeans, t-shirt, midweight sweatshirt or hoody, knit ski cap, and waterproof lightweight jacket. We never used our scarves or gloves. Some of the locals were in shorts. Sometimes the jacket and cap would come off and they're easy to stuff in a knapsack or fanny pack.

Also be sure to bring hiking shoes (not boots) or at least old sneakers for use on shore. They will get wet and maybe muddy, and the wood docks and metal stairs in the ports are slippery. If they are old ones you can discard them at the end of your trip. Also bring a nice pair of casual shoes for onboard ship.

Hope this helps, the 90 degree weather today is a change from Alaska...at least there's a sea breeze as I type this.

We were with Jay one week ago. I can't say enough great things about them. We booked the whole boat as there were six of us. He's a professional photographer, so it was perfect as my dad is into photography with lots of fancy equipment and they were able to talk shop and gave my Dad great advice. He treated my kids with such respect and also taught them about the whales. I wouldn't whale watch with anyone else!

Harv & Marv have a great tour. Just an idea: Take along some treats for their kids - a boy and a girl. A couple of years ago we took them a little bag of goodies that included refrigerator magnets from our state. I think they are collecting them from all the states. Have a great time everybody. No matter what the weather, it is still just awesome!

Archived