Cayman Dive Op close to port?

FliLady

Shore dive or looking for a boat trip? Both can be found. Search for boat recommendations...many posts about that....many recommended operators. If you want to do "the wall" - which means a deeper dive - you need a boat trip.

There's really no shore diving on 7 Mile itself as the reef is a mile plus off shore in that area. The good shore diving near town, is south of town where the 'ironshore' means the reef is "right there".

The shore operation nearest the tender landing is Eden Rock. You can see their sign. You can rent anything you need and do a nice shore dive right there. http://www.edenrockdive.com/ 40 feet depth is typical.

A mile down the road is Sunset House - my preferred place for a CI shore dive. Same deal...dive shop there where you can rent anything you need.

Easy in and out.... http://sunsethouse.com/shore_diving.php

a typical profile here could go as deep as 60 feet or more...but there's plenty to see in the 40-45 range too.

In my opinion one thing Sunset has going for it is the fact it is NOT the first place you pass....and as far as many want to walk. Eden can be a bit crowded. While Sunset is a place where 'dedicated divers go' ... spousal unit and I have many a week long dive vacation there and when we visit by cruise always drop in for a dive and then a libation at My Bar

I think the Capt. pretty much sumerized my thoughts as well.

If you want to do a shore dive, you'll need to either have a buddy, meet one at the dive shop, or hire a guide. The dive shops on GCM won't rent gear to someone who plans to solo dive. :(

I will need a buddy....does Sunset offer boat dives?

Sunset runs scheduled boat dives but that schedule tends to be good for the folks staying at Sunset and less so for cruise folk.

There are other operators that cater to cruise folk...but I've never used so can't recommend.

I will need a buddy....does Sunset offer boat dives?

This is from e-mail I received yesterday from the folks at Sunset:

Thank you for contacting Sunset Divers. The best option is to shore dive for 2 reasons. Firstly the boat dives go to deeper sites beyone the 40' limit and secondly cruise guests more often than not are unable to get to the resort on time to make the boat.

We have great shore diving ideally suited to your needs.

The cost would be 45US$ per person which includes regulator,BC tank & weights. No reservation is required and we are located 1 mile south of your terminal at Sunset.

This was in response to a question about diving with my Junior OW certified son.

For those of you who know, how does the shore diving at Sunset compare to Eden Rock? So far what I know is:

Sunset is about a mile further away from the port, so probably will need a taxi and costs $5 more for a guided shore dive. Those costs are insignificant if it is less crowded, and the diving is as good as Eden Rock. I've heard about Devil's Grotto and seen some impressive pictures from the Eden Rock area. Would I feel like I missed anything if I went a mile further down the shore?

Is there any "beach area" at either place that friends could relax while we are diving?

with bias....

I've spent many a week long dive vacation at Sunset House...and you can add a few cruise stop dives to that. During a week long stay not a day (diveable day) has gone by that we didn't do one and sometimes there were two shore dives "right there".

We could head down the road to Eden....but why bother IMO. The chunk of reef off Sunset has enuf variety for us....even after 50+ dives there. It remains one of my favorite nite dives because of the easy entry/exit and total absence of crowds.

If you think you will 'miss something' do Eden. But then again by doing so...you might miss something...... There WILL be more divers at Eden...and not just today, but everyday making for some amount of wear and tear. But Eden has some nice formations....I've some nice pictures of silversides swarming there....

Now I'll mention that diving a new site every day isn't in the least bit important to me. I think I can dive Sunset 100 more times...and see something new every one. I've photos of large octopus feeding, spotted eel, shovel nose lobster...on top of oll the usual stuff like lobster, big grouper, huge 'cuda, and a one time sunset EXPLOSION of starfish....they were EVERYWHERE...for about 15 minutes....then gone..... My ideal dive is a nite dive at Sunset, sitting quietly with lights out - which I'll do being so comfortable in the location - and seeing what comes out.....and being ready with flash camera in hand!

I first dove there around '85.....I'm biased....

Sermonizing now: many people when they dive take a quick pass along the reef and want to see it like a ride at Disney. Cozumel drift diving is like that....sit back and let the current zip you along the reef for a mile or so. But what if you want to really look at something? On group dives I tend to be the person who finds the 'cool stuff' and point it out to others.....slowwwww down....look .... and yes, I'm the guy holding up the group... 'cept when I have cool stuff to point out. You won't find the eel, the clown fish, the drum, the lobster ... unless you poke around. And that can be done at a place you dove 20 times before....

All of Cayman is surrounded by fantastic reef....some more damaged than other :p but there's great diving all around the island. The best dive is the dive you just did, most of the time....frankly my 'best dive' (certified since the 70's): in the Living Seas tank at EPCOT...what a thrill! Don't stress over the 'best place' ... find an operator you like and slow down to look so you ENJOY THE DIVE.

I think I can dive Sunset 100 more times...and see something new every one. I've photos of large octopus feeding, spotted eel, shovel nose lobster...on top of oll the usual stuff like lobster, big grouper, huge 'cuda, and a one time sunset EXPLOSION of starfish....they were EVERYWHERE...for about 15 minutes....then gone..... My ideal dive is a nite dive at Sunset, sitting quietly with lights out - which I'll do being so comfortable in the location - and seeing what comes out.....and being ready with flash camera in hand!

Thanks Capt BJ.

Would love to see your pictures.

Flilady, here's another boat option. We dove with Wall to Wall Divers ( http://www.walltowalldiving.com/ ) in March and had a wonderful time (Eagle ray, lobster, black coral, crab, etc.). Good size boat and not more than 5 of us. They pick up just a block from the cruise pier and will drop you back there or at 7 mile beach. They don't charge if the boat doesn't dock, so the risk is low, and I'm sure they'll set you up with a buddy (probably one of the dive masters).

We have dove Sunset House (few years ago) and it is a very nice and easy dive. Watch out for the "Atlantis" submarine which cruises through that area (wave to the observers!). The mermaid statue is also very cool so get your picture with her. Although the Sunset House dives were nice it really can't compare with the boat dives -- there's just so much more to see.

Archived