Alaska cruise fares and planning

JeanfromBNA

We are looking at an Alaskan Cruise on Celebrity in September, 2009. I've noticed that the prices for the same itinerary at the same time in September in the same category of suite are $600 pp cheaper this year than next year :eek: . Going this year is out of the question, but I wonder if we should wait to book. Is your fare locked in when you place a deposit? Can it go up or down until final payment? Can you call Celebrity and ask for a discount if fares go down, and if you do, are you likely to get it?

Alaska is expensive enough! I don't want to give Celebrity $1200 out of the goodness of my heart or the stupidity of my planning.

We've never cruised before, but I've been reading these boards for about a year now, to try to figure things out.

Lower fairs is one of the benefits of cruising. If the fair drops between now and the time that you make final payment, you can call Celebrity or your T/A and request that they provide you with the lower fair. Also, if fairs increase you are locked in at the lower rate.

Right now you should have a good selection of cabins, where as later on, the good choices may be taken.

If you are using a T/A be sure to ask about any charges that they have for changing your booking.

I too am looking for an Alaskan cruise in Sept 09 and the fairs are expensive. I am hoping that they will drop between now and then.

Archived