Coco Cay Snorkeling

dirvin0500

My DW and I will be at Coco Cay on the 28th of October and wanted to know about the snorkeling. We have our own equipment and don't want to spend money to rent someone else's. Is there pretty decent snorkeling on your own and much to see?

My DW and I will be at Coco Cay on the 28th of October and wanted to know about the snorkeling. We have our own equipment and don't want to spend money to rent someone else's. Is there pretty decent snorkeling on your own and much to see?

If you go out to where they sunk the plane and the boats there will be fish. The side of the little snorkeling lagoon (the side where the ship is parked) is supposed to be good for more advanced snorkelers. We didn't go out there as we had 3 novices with us. They do make you rent a safety vest if you do not have one of your own.

Coco Cay was great for snorkeling the last time we were there. The key is to go early, later in the day the thundering masses stir up the water near the beach and reduce the visibility. Out by the "Pirate ship" and the airplane wrecks there were tons of fish. The day we were there the lifeguards threw food from the towers so the fish hung around there. Besides the usual fish we saw several stingrays and Baracudda. Definately take the chance to snorkel at Coco Cay, but like I said try and go early. And like everyone said they make you rent the vest, I think they were $6 for the day if I remember correctly.

• 3 weeks later...

i went in dec and loved the snorkeling there. what everyone said is correct. the sunken "ship" and plane is the place to go. we went around to the other side of the island and saw some sharks. i like the fact that we had free reign of the island. take the time and get some snorkeling in when you get to the island. and yes, get on the first tender boat.

I loved the snorkeling in Coco Cay. The sunken plane had lots of fish swimming in and around it. I didn't find many fish near the facade of the ship, and it's a longer swim out there...wasn't worth it to me. But the plane and the rocky area off to the left of the beach were great. I too saw rays, barracuda and lots of colorful fish out there. Great advice to go early because even though people are told not to walk all over and stir up the sand, they do it anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived