Gloves!

Persephone

How does one know what glove-size one wears?

You measure your dominant hand (for most people, that would be the right hand) across and around the knuckles with a tape measure. You basically wrap the tape measure around your hand to get the circumference. The measurements in inches equals your glove size.

This link has a good sizing table for ladies and gentlemen: http://florentinegloves.com/measure.html

Despite the rules of the period, I always take my gloves off to eat - as quietly and quickly as possible. My modern self thinks the only fabric that should be near my mouth is a napkin!

I thought etiquette required gloves to be removed before eating. The gloves are placed across the lap (along with your fan ;) ) and covered by the napkin.

I thought etiquette required gloves to be removed before eating. The gloves are placed across the lap (along with your fan ;) ) and covered by the napkin.

That is correct. They have to be taken off for eating and drinking (when sitting at a table). However, if you just have a quick sip of water or a champagne toast next to the dance floor while standing, they may stay, as it would be impractical to remove them.

They are so much better than those satin ones to go with my Regency day gown - or as a friend points out - even my ball gown should have kid gloves , not satin!.

Despite the rules of the period, I always take my gloves off to eat - as quietly and quickly as possible. My modern self thinks the only fabric that should be near my mouth is a napkin!

Just so you know...

RI-Sailor is referring to the specific rules and etiquette of the Victorian/Edwardian times when women always wore their gloves.

Even while bathing, and God Forbid they should ever remove them at a public function (like a ball) even while eating - they remained on.

Taking your gloves off to eat, is a relatively new etiquette compared to that specific time period.

It would have been considered improperly seductive to entirely remove opera gloves in public.;)

Just so you know...

RI-Sailor is referring to the specific rules and etiquette of the Victorian/Edwardian times when women always wore their gloves.

Even while bathing, and God Forbid they should ever remove them at a public function (like a ball) even while eating - they remained on.

Taking your gloves off to eat, is a relatively new etiquette compared to that specific time period.

It would have been considered improperly seductive to entirely remove opera gloves in public.;)

Curt is correct. That's why opera gloves have mousquetaire openings. The wearer could keep them on, but have the hands uncovered. In those days, gloves were also very tightly fitted and one needed a maid and sometimes button hooks to get them on. Taking them off in public would have been considered very risque -- akin to a striptease:).

• 1 month later...

I've never seen any. Do they still exist? I have a large painting in my apartment called "The Dinner Party". The period is early 1900's and I can see the ladies with their dinner gloves folded back, one of them is getting ready to re-button the glove. But I've never seen this kind of glove around.

Jane

when i got married 4 years ago my dress cried out for gloves but being practical - how do you get your wedding ring over the fingers i opted for the closest i could get. I don't know what you'd call them but it was like the sleeve part of the glove which finished at the inside wrist but continued in a lacy panel over the back of the hand with a little loop that went over the middle finger. Perfect for rings and just right to be kept on for eating.

Archived