Granduer-cancelation policy poor

DS and wife and thier friends (5 cabins total) booked the Granduer for March 2009 in May 2008. Because they watch rates they found out 6 weeks ago that the cruise was canceled. To make a long story short, RCCL has still not notified the TA, gives different stories everytime the TA contacts them(if they respond at all) still considers the booking valid but at the same time says the ship has been booked privately this booking must be transferred, will not confirm any 'extras/incentives' for teh inconvience and/or costs of having to change vacation plans/times, airlines, hotels etc.

We love RCCL but this is the 2nd bad experience out of 3 RCCL cruises for DS and they will most likly never book with them again. 6 weeks and no answers is hard to deal with.

Is this situation typical when someone reserves a whole ship that had already taken bookings?

Someone else posted on this a couple of weeks back. Thread title was "Cruise Cancelled" I believe. Same situation. Same cruise. She got a call though, so I wonder why your people did not.

I think in the end she moved up a week and went on Voyager. Bigger, more modern ship anyhow in my book but that's just my opinion.

Are your folks C&A members? If they are, I would call C&A and see what they can do.

DS and wife and thier friends (5 cabins total) booked the Granduer for March 2009 in May 2008. Because they watch rates they found out 6 weeks ago that the cruise was canceled. To make a long story short, RCCL has still not notified the TA, gives different stories everytime the TA contacts them(if they respond at all) still considers the booking valid but at the same time says the ship has been booked privately this booking must be transferred, will not confirm any 'extras/incentives' for teh inconvience and/or costs of having to change vacation plans/times, airlines, hotels etc.

We love RCCL but this is the 2nd bad experience out of 3 RCCL cruises for DS and they will most likly never book with them again. 6 weeks and no answers is hard to deal with.

Is this situation typical when someone reserves a whole ship that had already taken bookings?

Your are correct Darkwolfe, it's actually a February departure date. Strange that the TA hasn't been notified of the charter at this time.

There are considerations other than tranferring to a bigger newer ship. Departure port, date, cost, length, etc. That is where the issues arise.

Bottom line, all 5 cabins were canceled today and booked on Carnival because RCCL would not respond and time was ticking away.

My question was

Is this the way RCCL typically deals with this situation?

Archived