Train station near port in San Diego?

arb711

Going on Elation in 12 days (:D ) - since I live in LA, thought I'd take Amtrak down instead of driving. I read somewhere on these boards that the Santa Fe train station is only a few blocks from the pier - did I get that right? But when I go to the Amtrak site, the stations in San Diego are:

San Diego

San Diego - Old Town

San Diego - Balboa Park bus stop

San Diego - Zoo bus stop

San Diego - Sea World bus stop

Does anyone know which one it is??

Going on Elation in 12 days (:D ) - since I live in LA, thought I'd take Amtrak down instead of driving. I read somewhere on these boards that the Santa Fe train station is only a few blocks from the pier - did I get that right? But when I go to the Amtrak site, the stations in San Diego are:

San Diego

San Diego - Old Town

San Diego - Zoo bus stop

The First San Diego one:

San Diego

1050 Kettner Boulevard

San Diego, CA 92101

View Map

STAFFED HOURS

5:15 a.m. to 10:30 p.m.

Restrooms, pay phones, and baggage service on selected trains are available at the Downtown San Diego Station.

PARKING

Parking is not available at the San Diego station. Paid long term and short term parking are a few blocks away at ACE Public Parking, north of the Station.

RAIL SERVICES

RAIL SERVICES

AMTRAK

1-800-USA-RAIL ( 1-800-872-7245 ) or tickets.amtrak.com

Pacific Surfliner (San Diego to San Luis Obispo)

San Joaquin (via Thruway to Bakersfield and San Joaquin Valley points including Stockton, Sacramento and the Bay Area)

COASTER

Inside San Diego County 1-800-COASTER ( 1-800-262-7837 )

Outside San Diego County 1-619-233-3004

Speech and Hearing Impaired 1-888-722-4889 TTY

North County Transit District (NCTD)

http://www.gonctd.com

Stations: Oceanside, Carlsbad (2), Encinitas, Solana Beach, Sorrento Valley, Old Town, San Diego.

LOCAL PUBLIC TRANSIT

San Diego Trolley

Light rail system serving San Diego County.

Blue line: Mission San Diego to San Ysidro/Tijuana

Orange line: Santee Town Center to 12th & Imperial Station, San Diego

Green line: Old Town San Diego to Santee.

For more information 1-619-233-3004 or visit http://www.sdcommute.com

Buses

San Diego Transit 1-619-233-3004

(San Diego, El Cajon, La Mesa, National City) for more information visit http://www.sdcommute.com.

Shuttle Vans

Premier Ride 1-800-556-7433

Cloud 9 Shuttle 1-800-974-8885

All vans require advance reservations.

Taxis

Taxis are waiting when travelers arrive.

Orange Cab 1-619-291-3333

Yellow Cab of San Diego 1-619-234-6161

Or call 1-800-TAXICAB (829-4222)

Car Rentals

Avis 1-800-230-4898

Hertz 1-800-654-3131

Dollar 1-800-800-3665

NEARBY HOTELS

Best Western Bayside Inn (0.5 miles) 1-800-341-1818

Best Western Island Palms (619) 222-0561 or (800) 345-9995

Holiday Inn (0.5 miles) 1-619-232-3861

Wyndham Emerald Plaza (0.2 miles) 1-619-239-4500

Amtrak Vacations® packages available at Best Western Bayside Inn (0.5 miles). Call 1-800-321-8684 for booking and package information.

SAN DIEGO CONVENTION & VISITORS BUREAU

http://www.sandiego.org 1-619-236-1212

POINTS OF INTEREST

Balboa Park 1-619-239-0512

Cruise Ship Terminal

San Diego Zoo 1-619-234-3153

Seaport Village 1-619-235-4014

Sea World 1-619-226-3901

Old Town State Historic Park

San Diego Padres -- Petco Stadium

San Diego Chargers -- Qualcomm Stadium

Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico

The train station is about 3-4 blocks from the cruise ship terminal. You would be able to walk from the station to the terminal as long as you can pull your luggage and/or don't have a lot. I am sure you could also grab a cab if need be. It's probably less hassle to take the train than driving and parking. I think the station is San Diego...it's the last stop on the route and it's downtown near Broadway. Hope this helps.

San Diego

San Diego - Old Town

San Diego - Zoo bus stop

It's the downtown Santa Fe Station, the first one you listed (and the end of the line). You can't miss it cause it looks like a real train station from the classic days of rail travel. If you have any doubts, look out the starboard side of the train for the ship itself.

Check http://live6.truelook.com:80/face/newface.jsp?func=live&name=/ecodb/1apsw/camera1&pan=104.53151&tilt=-27.606209&panfov=41.5&tiltfov=31.125&overlay=default&skin=Nov2004SOSD&useapplet=true&time=1218502254470&width=640&height=480&quality=65&catalogname=catalog&zoom=1.0&imagemap.x=348&imagemap.y=245 on days when Elation is in port and you should be able to see the tracks and the platform at the bottom and Elation in the upper right corner. As you can see, you could crawl the distance if you had to.

DF, DM (eighties), DF and DBIL always take the train and walk the few blocks. No problemo. When possible we take the train when DW attends conferences.

Check with Amtrak: they may offer a discount if you have a cruise ticket.

San Diego

San Diego - Old Town

San Diego - Zoo bus stop

We're going in 12 days also! We drove to San Diego for a party last month and the train station is within walking distance. We'll be taking the train back and forth from Fullerton on the August 23 and since there are laundromats on board, we'll be taking less luggage to haul around.

Thanks to all - as usual, Cruise Critic folks come through!

I'm thrilled to be taking the train down - I have friends who live not too far from Union Station in LA, so I'll park my car at their house, get a cab to the train - and start my vacation!!

Familyof5, see you on board! Can't wait!!

(you know, in my normal life I don't use many exclamation points - something about cruising...)

Archived