How many days for Stockholm and nearby countryside?

gopackgo

Hi,

I need some advice. Our Baltic cruise is next August out of Stockholm. It seems like there are many museums and other sights to see in the city, and some interesting places not too awfully far from the city. Right now, we are planning on arriving around 6 pm on Wednesday night, and of course, we will be really tired out and want to just go to sleep. So that will leave us 2 full days before our cruise which starts on Saturday.

Are 2 days enough time to see the major sights in the city including an island tour of part of the archipelago?? (spelling may be wrong.) Also, would it be worthwhile to rent a car one day and drive outside of the city to some of the towns that surround a large lake that have small castles, etc.?

Or are 2 full days more than enough time? We are not type A people and will not get going until around 10 or so in the mornings. And I have bad feet, so we will not walking really fast, etc. Just looking for feedback to see if I should move our flight to a day earlier.

Thanks -

Ginny

You can easily use two days just to see the main sights in the city. For instance Vasa Museum, Gamla Stan (Old Town) with Royal Palace, Town Hall, Skansen Outdoor Museum, perhaps a guided tour on a coach or on a boat around the city center. Or something else depending on your interests.

You will probably be able to see parts of the archipelago when entering or leaving Stockholm. That is, unless your ship will dock in Nynäshamn. In the spring you will be able to find out where your ship docks on this site: http://www.stoports.com/.

Should you want to take a longer trip into the archipelago and visit some island, that is usually a full day tour, or at least a half day.

If you have more than two days it could be a good idea to rent a car for one day (in the city a car is no use at all). You could use it to go to Drottningholm Palace for instance, and see the Theatre and the Chinese Pavilion there. And then drive on to some other place and see a little bit of the surrounding area.

This answer is rather short now, I am just getting ready to leave on my own upcoming cruise. But I know there are others here who can also help you with more specific info.

I hope you will enjoy Stockholm.

We also left out of Stockholm and went in two days early for a total of four in Stockholm (two in hotel + two on ship). Stockholm was our favorite port - probably because we spent the most time there and were able to not hurry.

From our Journal:

July 1, 2004, Stockholm 1

$1=7.5Kr

Flight to Paris long, “Ambian” sleeping pills didn't work as well as in past - 2-3 hours sleep is all that we managed.

Paris' CDG airport was terrible. Because of the roof collapse last month, we could not dock at a gate. Instead we boarded busses, which drove for a long time, winding around all over the place before depositing us at a gate that was never intended for normal entry. Therefore, all of the signage was poor and in French. As a result, we made mistake and exited secure area and had to go through terrible security line. All flights delayed so didn't miss flight.

Alranda Airport Express train was wonderful - drops you off right at the Nordic Sea Hotel – literally! The Nordic Sea Hotel is very Nice, clean and modern. The rooms are a bit on the small side. Given the average climate in Sweden, there is NO Air Conditioning and our room was too warm. We kept the window open much of the time.

- We purchased three day Stockholm cards at Central station and then caught bus 47 to the VASA museum. Then we visited the nearby Nordic Culture museum, a small Aquarium and then caught the ferry to Slussen. We walked much of Gamla Stan, and then ate salad, pizza and wine at the Michalangelo Restaurant for dinner.

- Earlier, we saw the 6PM changing of the guard at the Royal palace.

- Friday, 7/2/04,

July 2, 2004, Stockholm 2

We awoke to rain. We enjoyed a very good, large buffet breakfast at the Nordic Sea hotel. We then took the tube about 30km South of Stockholm City to Starholmen to go to the "Loppmarknadem flea market. It was located underneath a shopping center in a suburban area South of Stockholm City. Not really very good. My wife only purchased a little Viking ship salt cellar. On the way back the train broke down twice due to electrical problems South of Slussen. After a couple of abortive attempts we made it as far as Liljeholmen where a train employee suggested that we walk the rest of the way to town, which we did. Then we caught another tube North about 20 miles to Frescati Station to go to the Botanical Garden (Bergianska trädgården)to see Herbs. Huge lilly pads - 6 feet across. Also went for brief visit to Natural History Museum (Naturhistoriska riskmuseet)at Univervisitat. Also ate lunch at a Picnic at Univervisitat.Took local electric train part of the way back and then switched to main tube to Ostermanstorg and "ran" to the Viking Museum for a brief visit before closing. Then we took the #47 bus to Stockholm’s Tivoli. We mostly looked around and then enjoyed a local “Falcon” beer. Then we took the ferry over to Slussen and Gamla Stan for a traditional Swedish Dinner of Reindeer and Salmon - Great Pea Soup. Walked back to hotel. We were not planning on going to the Ice Bar, but after dinner on our last night at the hotel, we decided to try it after arriving at the hotel after dinner. You give them your name and they give you a badge with a number on it. We waited about 30 minutes before we were called. The fee is $20, which includes your first drink. We went to the Ice Bar around 11PM - dressed in parkas and drank vodka from ice glasses at an ice bar in an ice room - fun, actually. The glasses melted where your lips touched them.

July 3, 2004, Stockholm 3

- Lazy breakfast at hotel, then taxi to ship at Friehamin 638 (200kr including tip)

- Embarked at 10:30. Took 10 minutes. Dropped bagt in room (still being cleaned), then explored ship a bit. Made reservations for specialty restaurant for July 10 at 7PM (1st At Sea Day).

- 11:45 walked 700m W of ship caught Bus #1 to Hotogret for lunch of Fish Soup at Kajsas Fisk Restaurang, recommended by Rick Steves - WONDERFUL ! It was probably the best meal that we had in Stockholm. Toured the Royal Palace, then the Treasury Museum and Armory Museum. Took the 4:30 Royal Canal Boat sightseeing tour - very nice. Looked at the lobby of the old Grand Hotel. Walked to Stureplan, enjoyed some $6.75 Becks beers before catching the #1 bus back to the ship. We're too tired to stay downtown anymore today. We may try for the National Art Museum tomorrow.

- My wife discovered to her horror that her suitcase had been significantly exposed to water, either in Atlanta or at the ship. Atlanta being the most likely case since it was pouring down rain and we noticed that a great deal of the luggage beside the airplane was sitting out in the open. Items packed for shipboard use were damp and had red stains from the "ebags" packing bags that leached colors onto most of her white clothing. One of her dresses was also quite damp, as was my wife's mood the rest of the evening.

- Our first dinner in the Main Dining room. Our table for eight was empty except for us. The waiter waited for the other six to arrive and since they never did, our meal was very delayed. This was probably the least enjoyable meal experience of any cruise.

July 4, 2004, Stockholm 4

- Around 8AM the Marco Polo pulled in right behind our slip. Good to see her!

- Took ship's free shuttle to town. Too early for the National art museum, so went down Vasterlanggatan in Gamla Stan to purchase two little painted gnome people for my wife. We waited out the heaviest rain yet, then on to the Nobel Museum. Next visited today's goal, the National art museum. Very nice! Saw 7 Rembrant's & several Reubens but enjoyed Sweden's Carl gustaf Hellqvist the most, especially "Holding Visby to Ramsom".

- Caught the ship's shuttle back, and participated in the lifeboat drill.

- The three hours after leaving port were with spectacular views - a must see from deck - also great with Long Island Ice Tea!

At 6:15PM we watched the movie "Monster".

- Dinner ran a bit smoother tonight, but still our tablemates didn't show up so we were alone again at a table for eight. The food was better as well. After dinner we went to the 10:45PM show with pianist Brooks Aron for the 4th of July special - Very Nice!

Celem,

Thanks for your detailed diary entries from Stockholm! They will help us a lot. I think I would like us to have 3 full days there, at least.

Thanks for your ideas about where to go with a rental car, North-bound.

Ginny

I have been writing to a fellow from Stockholm who has a wonderful website of his fair city. The site is stockholmstories.com/st_eng_main.htm. He has great pictures, just click on the photographs. Don't miss the hand out of the water. This was great to see and is right across from the Palace. He does walking tours that I wish we had known about when we were there last May. I think a good tour of Gamla Stan and looking at the Viking ruins would have been great. I just like a private or small group tour so you can get your bearings, learn some neat stuff that you wouldn't on your own and then can explore later.

Be sure to ask about the local favorite food. A sort of sandwich, but in a cone with one or two hotdogs, some mashed potatoes, maybe a pickle and mustard. I know it sounds different, but they wrote a whole article on it and it really sounded good. We didn't have one when there as we didn't know about it, but we sure hit all the ice cream stands.

I would also try and see the archipelego. I was so impressed with this that we didn't budge from our balcony until we were back at sea. I hear the Princess line does not really go into Stockholm so you miss this stunning portion of the cruise.

I found using the hop on hop off bus got us around pretty good.

Archived