What to bring for island children?

In high school I took a trip to Mexico. When we were in Alcapulco we took a cruise around the bay. There was this little boy probably somewhere between 8-10 swimming in the bay near the ship. If you threw a peso into the bay he would swim down and retrieve it with a big smile. People were so intrigued they began throwing multiple coins at a time and he would always come up with them. I am sure that this little business man made more money than the local banker!! On our cruise alone he probably made $50 with his tricks! I would say that a child with a skill like that and a smile to go with it deserved every coin he caught!!

I´m with you that this kid deserved every coin he caught, but I doubt that the kid saw a single penny of this money for himself. Also this kids doing something for their money are mostly send by adults to make money. These kids should also spend their time in school instead of doing hard work for anyones else money.

When I visited St. Petersburg this year with a cruise I went on one of the Excursions that included a boat trip on the rivers of St. Petersburg.

The boat tour was a minimum of an hour and there was a young teenage boy that followed the boat from bridge to bridge by running. It was his goal to reach the next bridge before us and stand there to wave to us. He had to run for miles to do this and often it was up and downhill for him, but he kept up with us and waved at every single bridge. When we disembarked the boat he was there, but not on our way between the boat and the bus he was standing there in a distance not asking for anything.

As far as I noticed nobody from the group gave him money but some people shared some bananas or aples with him. I think he got a cap too.

In my eyes this is by far the better way to support the children. Give them some food, fruit, soda, etc.

But if you give food or something to drink to them use packed and unoppened things. I was very upset when I saw that one man handed a half full bottle of coke to the boy. A bottle of coke is OK but not one I have already drunk out of and don´t want it anymore.

Sorry for getting so long winded.

When I took an excursion in Mazatlan a few years ago the Mexican tour guide asked us to please NEVER buy anything or give anything to the children in Mexico who are begging or selling tinkets. He said that the Mexican government is trying very hard to improve the education of their citizens but if a child thinks they can make a living begging or selling Chicklets, they drop out of school to do so. But then what happens to them when they grow up and are no longer sad little children?

Be careful what you bring and where you bring it. I do rememeber a poster ( Mr T and the FOMT group) last year how tried to be a big help by bringing pencils, and such to a school on one of these islands and were treated poorly by the local government. Maybe some of them feel that they are just being used to asuage our guilt. There are legitimate organizations that are set up to do it more effectively. Why not donate directly to them?

Flamingosun - The RCCL Island Manager actually said we could write to him, and while I was there, he was in the middle of writing a thank-you letter back to someone! He was a wonderful man who hoped to bring his family to the Island so his children could meet the kids at the local school there. That was before RCCL had to close the port and now that they've re-opened it, I can't be sure if he's still the manager there. I do know that he showed me several photos (he keeps them on his wall in his office too!) of donations being made and the school kids. I told him I was so impressed by RCCL's involvement (both crew and island based) and that they were so humble and quitely helping--it was really neat. His office is a trailer over by the shopping area. There will be police there but they are nice (I spoke in french to them and it is fairly close to the creole they speak). I have a great photo of him and some of my group when he gave us a ride back to the tender area (I met the minister who had traveled in from Cap Haitien to meet me to pick up donations at his office).

I will suggest that if anyone tries to connect with a group from another area to meet you there, security is tight at RCCL and driving from anywhere in Haiti is iffy. If they do make it, I have always regretted that I didn't think to give them money for gas to make the trip. I had no idea til I got there about the driving difficulties, etc. Since I typically don't give cash to organizations like this (I only bring items for use so I know they go for the purpose intended), it didn't occur to me. Next time though, I will simply work with the RCCL land-crew and know that they will handle the delivery to the school. Also, most of the greeters won't have a clue (even if they appear to work for RCCL) and the local workers would be thrilled to get those gifts, so DO ask for the manager. I found out the the locals who work there have some of the most prized jobs in that area (same as in Roatan). I believe Haiti is one of the poorest islands in the caribbean so the things they recieve are so helpful. Oh yeah, another thing I learned on my second trip there, if you leave a t-shirt, they can keep that and some use them to wear, some use them for sails on their little fishing boats (apparently a prized thing to have sewn a sail since those boats can go much faster to go get the fish and then get home).

Since I hadn't planned another trip to include Labadee yet, I haven't tried to get the island address from RCCL but I'm sure they could provide it if anyone is interested. He did not have an email address that I know of, but maybe as of this year will.

If you are really feeling like a do-gooder, I found out that the RCCL staff that works the waverunners, etc. work so many weeks at a port and then back on a ship. They do NOT have easy access to goodies and treats and so I thought that the next time I stop by, I'd bring them some Starbursts or something that I can bring that won't melt!

Roatan is so easy for donations. There is a Methodist Church there with a school (you can see the steeple from the pier) and we've taken items to them. They introduced me to a public school teacher who was starting a new kindergarten-aged school and was in need of donations as well. I have her name at work somewhere still I'm sure. There have been several posts about Roatan and places to give -- and so many great CC'rs that do!

This trip to Cozumel, we are buying round-tip scissors (Chrysalis wish list) for my nephew's third grade class for a Thanksgiving Giving Class project. The students will write a little note on some cardstock and use ribbon to attach, then include a class photo with the scissors. Hopefully the ladies at Chrysalis can find a counterpart classroom of students who can recieve these little gifts that my nephew will help us drop off! I'm sure we'll have a few other school supplies to provide, but that will be my favorite this trip!

Finally, I know you had mentioned that you are "beginning to think there are a lot of quiet efforts going on among cruisers... too bad they're so quiet that folks have a hard time finding out about them." I know that before the new board was created, there were some really, really long threads about this same thing. They are just needing to be re-created I guess! I'm glad people are still talking about it and it really seems like it has gotten so well organized! It's great!

L Jane

Archived