How strict about SCUBA rules?

luv2swim

My husband is a certified SCUBA diver, but he hasn't been on a dive since April 2006.

We're sailing on the Crown Princess the end of October.

On the SCUBA excursion sites for St. Maarten and St. Thomas, the disclaimer says that the diver must have been on a dive in the last 2 years. Do you think they won't let him dive since it's been 2 1/2 years?

Also, which island--St. Maarten, St. Thomas, or Grand Turk--would be the best for a dive?

TIA

My husband is a certified SCUBA diver, but he hasn't been on a dive since April 2006.

On the SCUBA excursion sites for St. Maarten and St. Thomas, the disclaimer says that the diver must have been on a dive in the last 2 years. Do you think they won't let him dive since it's been 2 1/2 years?

Also, which island--St. Maarten, St. Thomas, or Grand Turk--would be the best for a dive?

TIA

First off, PLEASEEEEE ask you husband to go to a local dive shop and do a refresher in a pool to go back over the basics...... Even the smartest, and most in shape people forget the little details (that could cause injury or even loss of life 60-80ft under water). Practicing clearing his mask, buddy breathing, weight belt drops, gear set up and break down and just breathing with a regulator again can go a long way towards a safe dive. I know if I was your husband's dive buddy I'd want to look forward to enjoying my rare dive in the Caribbean instead of having to keep one eye on a guy with rusty skills, or even having to save him, really ruining the dive for both of us. So think of others, and the impact of everyone on the boat by not being up to speed and get in practice before the cruise.

As far as having to have dived recently, it depends on the dive operator. Some, though more should, require proof of a dive (and a refresher in a pool counts). Also between the three, I'd recommend Grand Turk. I use Blue Water Divers and they're great!

Randall

BTW, I've had to save three people while diving. One guy was too inexperienced, one hadn't dove in a year and one didn't monitor his air.

It's more of a "don't ask/don't tell" kind of thing. If I was your DH and was asked, I'd fib and say I had been diving within the last 2 years, as long as he feels comfortable with his scuba skills.

Without a doubt, Grand Turk has by far the best diving of those three choices, but I wouldn't go with the ship's excursion there even though the dive op that runs the excursion gets good reviews. I'd go with Blue Water Divers because I prefer diving with smaller groups.

It's more of a "don't ask/don't tell" kind of thing. If I was your DH and was asked, I'd fib and say I had been diving within the last 2 years, as long as he feels comfortable with his scuba skills.

It depends how experienced a diver he is. If he's a newish diver, he definitely needs a refresher course!! If he's had several hundred dives, maybe not so important!!

A dive center can always check on his dives by looking at his log book!!

Thanks to everyone for the info. Not sure I can convince him to go to a refresher, but we'll see.

Without a doubt, Grand Turk has by far the best diving of those three choices, but I wouldn't go with the ship's excursion there even though the dive op that runs the excursion gets good reviews. I'd go with Blue Water Divers because I prefer diving with smaller groups.

Thanks for this info. I know he'll be interested in this.

Your Husband may want to check with the New Waves staff on the ship. Princess used to offer full PADI Openwater courses and refreshers on the ship using the ship's pool.I did read that Princess was considering doing away with the New Waves Program but I would definitely check it out.

I do believe anyone who has been out of the water for 2 years should do a refresher course. If they were a diver with limited experience who had not dived in 2 years, I would refuse to buddy up with them on an excursion.My days of paying good money to babysit are over with!Don't get me wrong, we were all new divers once and I enjoy sharing my experiences and helping others learn but not when I am paying $100-$150 per trip for my once or twice a year cruise ship dives in the Tropics.

I'm another person suggesting he take a refresher....but he needs to know a refresher is generally done in a pool- it's not very time consuming, doesn't cost a lot, no need for a wetsuit, etc. It's not just to satisfy the requirement of having a dive in the last 2 years (as some other posters have mentioned.) Yes, it's safety...yes, he needs to brush up on his skills....yes, he'll be more prepared, etc. But maybe he doesn't want to hear those things. Maybe what you need to tell him to get him to take the refresher is he will enjoy his dives MUCH more if he's better prepared!

For most people, if you are an "average" diver- i.e., you don't have 100s of dives under your belt- if it's been awhile since your last dive you're generally not very relaxed on your first dive. You use more air, work harder than you need to, fight your equipment more, etc. Add to that he's probably using rented equipment that he'll have to get used to, and his first dive won't be as relaxing and enjoyable as it could be if he brushes up on his skills in a pool. It wouldn't be such a big deal if he were planning a dive vacation at a resort with on-staff instructors, multiple dives per day, etc, but when you only have 1 or 2 two-tank dives on your trip, you want to make the most of them!

Good luck and have fun!

I'm another person suggesting he take a refresher....but he needs to know a refresher is generally done in a pool- it's not very time consuming, doesn't cost a lot, no need for a wetsuit, etc. It's not just to satisfy the requirement of having a dive in the last 2 years (as some other posters have mentioned.) Yes, it's safety...yes, he needs to brush up on his skills....yes, he'll be more prepared, etc. But maybe he doesn't want to hear those things. Maybe what you need to tell him to get him to take the refresher is he will enjoy his dives MUCH more if he's better prepared!

For most people, if you are an "average" diver- i.e., you don't have 100s of dives under your belt- if it's been awhile since your last dive you're generally not very relaxed on your first dive. You use more air, work harder than you need to, fight your equipment more, etc. Add to that he's probably using rented equipment that he'll have to get used to, and his first dive won't be as relaxing and enjoyable as it could be if he brushes up on his skills in a pool. It wouldn't be such a big deal if he were planning a dive vacation at a resort with on-staff instructors, multiple dives per day, etc, but when you only have 1 or 2 two-tank dives on your trip, you want to make the most of them!

Good luck and have fun!

It never ceases to amaze me how many people put their ego above their own life, or think rules are put for the heck of it and applies to everyone but them. They are there for safety. When I dove in Cozumel back in March, the operater wanted to see my log book, she didnt take my ``word for it'' that I had dove in the past two years. I hadnt, but I had taken a refresher course the month before and had that certification in my log book. I wouldnt dive with an operator that let someone else skirt the rules. If they dont care about that person's safety, they are not going to care about mine.

There were many things in the refresher course that helps me, and it never hurts to get more experience.

SCUBA is very simple, it is also very dangerous. You put your life, and perhaps the life of your buddy, on the line every time you decend. If you follow the right steps, you will be fine. If you havent done it in a while and forget one of two things, you dont get a second chance.

Grand Turk should be the best, after that St. Thomas if he wants to dive in 2 places. However, a couple of folks on scubaboard.com seem to think that the GT local dive operator takes cruise divers to dive sites that are already damaged, precisely because many of them are inexperienced or out of practice.

This thread.

And I don't mean to pile on, but a refresher course is an excellent idea, whether or not the operator requires it. The dives will be safer and more enjoyable with recent experience! I'm actually quite surprised the Grand Turk operator doesn't require a recent dive; they have a good reputation.

Now I wish I were off to Grand Turk to dive. *jealous*

Grand Turk should be the best, after that St. Thomas if he wants to dive in 2 places. However, a couple of folks on scubaboard.com seem to think that the GT local dive operator takes cruise divers to dive sites that are already damaged, precisely because many of them are inexperienced or out of practice.

This thread.

Probably true. I'm sure that the ship's excursion on just about every island takes the divers to easy, nearby, moderately shallow dive sites that are appropriate to the skill level to many cruise divers.

Thanks to everyone for the info. Not sure I can convince him to go to a refresher, but we'll see.

If he refuses to do a refresher, you might provide a public service and post here where and whenhe'll be diving so we can avoid diving with him. It's bad form to put others' lives at risk.

If he refuses to do a refresher, you might provide a public service and post here where and whenhe'll be diving so we can avoid diving with him. It's bad form to put others' lives at risk.

That's putting it mildly.

Just another reason to conduct every dive like it is a solo dive, even when diving with a buddy.

Probably true. I'm sure that the ship's excursion on just about every island takes the divers to easy, nearby, moderately shallow dive sites that are appropriate to the skill level to many cruise divers.

Also, if the coral there is already dead, they don't need to worry so much about skills-impaired divers kicking, bumping, or standing on it. Better to concentrate all the damage in a few places.

Archived