Need Anaheim hotel recommendations...

iscrk

Hello fellow Cruise Critic fans! Our group of six is sailing on the Carnival Pride in October, 2008. Due to airfare out of Chicago (truely priceless, as they say :eek:), we will be flying round-trip out of Anaheim. WE are coming in a day early, and DO NOT plan on doing DisneyLand ... several vacations to DisneyWorld in Orlando is enough for me!!

I have done a preliminary search for hotels through TripAdvisor and was inundated with hotels catering to the Disney crowd (of course!). Does anyone have a recommendation for a clean, safe on-night hotel, possibly with a pool and free breakfast? An airport shuttle would be a plus, however SuperShuttle may be our only option.

I will continue wading through TripAdvisor, but would appreciate any help!!

Well, there are a million hotels near Disneyland in Anaheim! Have you thought about taking a shuttle from the airport to Long Beach and staying there? Since you aren't planning on doing DL, that might be a good option. The Coast Hotel in LB is very nice and they have a shuttle to take you to the port!

If you do want to stay in Anaheim, you might try the Embassy Suites on Harbor. They have a wonderful breakfast. Other nicer hotels in the DL area are The Residence Inn, Hyatt, and Mariott. Not sure what you want to pay. If you give me a price range, I can really get specific for you!

It sounds like you are actually flying in to Orange County Airport aka "John Wayne Airport" (airport code SNA), which is actually in Santa Ana/Costa Mesa. The airport is about a 30 minute drive from Disneyland and puts you farther away from the port in Long Beach in my opinion. You would be best to be researching Long Beach hotels and taking Super Shuttle from the Orange County airport to your hotel. Get yourself closer to Long Beach if you really aren't interested in doing Disneyland.

Just so you know I live about 10 mins from the OC airport so I am familar with the area.

Hello fellow Cruise Critic fans! Our group of six is sailing on the Carnival Pride in October, 2008. Due to airfare out of Chicago (truely priceless, as they say :eek:), we will be flying round-trip out of Anaheim. WE are coming in a day early, and DO NOT plan on doing DisneyLand ... several vacations to DisneyWorld in Orlando is enough for me!!

I have done a preliminary search for hotels through TripAdvisor and was inundated with hotels catering to the Disney crowd (of course!). Does anyone have a recommendation for a clean, safe on-night hotel, possibly with a pool and free breakfast? An airport shuttle would be a plus, however SuperShuttle may be our only option.

It sounds like you are actually flying in to Orange County Airport aka "John Wayne Airport" (airport code SNA), which is actually in Santa Ana/Costa Mesa. The airport is about a 30 minute drive from Disneyland and puts you farther away from the port in Long Beach in my opinion. You would be best to be researching Long Beach hotels and taking Super Shuttle from the Orange County airport to your hotel. Get yourself closer to Long Beach if you really aren't interested in doing Disneyland.

Just so you know I live about 10 mins from the OC airport so I am familar with the area.

I agree with the other posts. SNA, the Carnival port, and D'land are a triangle and it's 20-30 miles between each point. No use going up to D'land just for a hotel unless there's an excellent price that offsets the higher expenses for ground transportation.

I'm assuming you will be arriving on a Friday or Saturday to catch a Sunday cruise. There are a lot of hotels right around SNA (use the airport or Irvine in hotel search websites). Most of them are business hotels since there are hundreds of corporate HQ and regional offices around the airport. They probably have good weekend rates and many of them have shuttles if you aren't renting a car.

South Coast Plaza is a huge set of malls and shopping centers with everything from Target to Cartier. There's a wide variety of restaurants too. It's a few miles from SNA in neighboring Costa Mesa; most hotels in the area should be able to take you there via courtesy van.

HTH!

If you decide to stay in Anaheim, we've stayed at The Hilton, The Embassy Suites, and the Homestead Suites in Anaheim (actually, I believe they are all along the same road?)

All were great Hilton properties and have clean, comfortable rooms, good decor, and on-site food.

If you have time, we found lots of other stuff to do around town that does not involve the Disney Parks. However, you might still want to squeeze in a visit to Downtown Disney (without having to buy the park tickets!)for some fun "family" night life and shopping!

HAVE FUN!

:)

I agree with the others, if you aren't doing Disneyland, why stay in Anaheim? Too far out of the way. For Irvine, I recommend the Irvine Marriott, close to the John Wayne Airport. For Anaheim, the Hampton Inn, right next door to the Embassy Suites. Has a pool and a free breakfast.

It sounds like you are actually flying in to Orange County Airport aka "John Wayne Airport" (airport code SNA), which is actually in Santa Ana/Costa Mesa.

Thanks for the replies!! I went back and checked our airport code and it does say SNA, so we are coming into John Wayne Airport. Flying from Chicago makes a really long travel day, so we are trying the eliminate any extra shuttles until the next day. United Airlines says that this is a "no meal service flight", so its just granola bars for the duration:(!! We are looking for a Holiday Inn Express type place for one night. My husband is taking care of the travel logistics, and if it makes more sense to head into Long Beach right away, then let me know.

We will not be renting a car, so the Coast Hotel may not be a place with good food options?

Thanks for your input....CC'ers are always a great source of information!!

It sounds like you are actually flying in to Orange County Airport aka "John Wayne Airport" (airport code SNA), which is actually in Santa Ana/Costa Mesa.

Thanks for the replies!! I went back and checked our airport code and it does say SNA, so we are coming into John Wayne Airport. Flying from Chicago makes a really long travel day, so we are trying the eliminate any extra shuttles until the next day. United Airlines says that this is a "no meal service flight", so its just granola bars for the duration:(!! We are looking for a Holiday Inn Express type place for one night. My husband is taking care of the travel logistics, and if it makes more sense to head into Long Beach right away, then let me know.

We will not be renting a car, so the Coast Hotel may not be a place with good food options?

Thanks for your input....CC'ers are always a great source of information!!

The Coast Hotel has a shuttle that will take you for free downtown. There are tons of places to eat down there, such as Bubba Gump Shrimp Factory, Famous Dave's BBQ, Chili's and much more (I can't think of the others off the top of my head)!

I would definatley just get a shuttle from SNA to Long Beach and stay there overnight! The Coast will also take you to the port in the morning!

The Coast is very nice and the shuttle is great! We took it to the Aquarium (which is where all the places to eat are) and it was super convienient!

Thanks Kenish!! I will narrow my search to hotels around SNA....however, the Coast Hotel is looking like a viable option again, since they do run a free shuttle through town. CC'ers to the rescue again!!:cool:

Archived