Senor Frogs & Straw Market

viciouslysh

This time in Nassau I'm thinking about just getting off for a couple hours and have some drinks at local bar. Do you have to walk through the straw market to get to Senor Frogs? I would like to avoid the market if possible.

Nope, just walk right past. I know what you mean. I plan on visiting Senor Frog's next week but NOT the Straw Market.

Hey if you play their games you win free yards of margaritas. We bought ours but played their games and everyone next to use drank free.:D

Warning though those yards are strong and you do have to walk back to the ship. Many times we have forgotten about that walk back.;)

This time in Nassau I'm thinking about just getting off for a couple hours and have some drinks at local bar. Do you have to walk through the straw market to get to Senor Frogs? I would like to avoid the market if possible.

I'd hardly call Senor Frogs a local bar.. it's a american franchised Chucky Cheeze for grown ups. Nothing "local" or caribbean about it.

If you want a local bar, head to Bamboo, or even Cafe Flamingo.. or take a quick cab to the Green Parrot.. or hang out at the Fish Fry, Cricket club, Iguana's or... well.. you get the picture.

Senor Frog is an extention of the cruise ship. The only people there are other cruisers from your ship...

I'd hardly call Senor Frogs a local bar.. it's a american franchised Chucky Cheeze for grown ups. Nothing "local" or caribbean about it.

If you want a local bar, head to Bamboo, or even Cafe Flamingo.. or take a quick cab to the Green Parrot.. or hang out at the Fish Fry, Cricket club, Iguana's or... well.. you get the picture.

Senor Frog is an extention of the cruise ship. The only people there are other cruisers from your ship...

We start with Iguana's. Love the place.

You are right about Senor Frogs. lol It is funny how something that started in Mexico is so American.

I was thinking about that the other day as our next cruise approaches. Way back in about 1990 or so, I was working in the T-Shirt mfg. business and was in ol' Mexico trying to put together some import programs pre-NAFTA. We ran across some members of the family that owned Senor Frogs and Carlos n Charlies, some very nice people. They gave me a few T's and sweatshirts that I still have. At the the time, they only had a few places. One in Cabo that I know of and maybe the C&C in Cozumel. It was pretty much a family affair and was truly Mexican. I can remember the first time I was in C&C in Cozumel in 1994. It was dowtown near the only pier at the time and had sawdust floors and an upstairs with a great view. It was a blast. Nowadays, as Scubagirl points out, it is a massive chain, ala Jimmy Buffet's, and most all of the original charm is gone. Such is the way with success & prosperity, I suppose. We still hit the Senor Frogs at the south pier in Coz as a last stop before boarding. You can keep an eye on the ship and watch the first timers over-indulge and make fools of themselves (who hasn't!). It is still fun, but not at all like the "good ol days". We will be in Nassau next Tuesday & will check out a few of the places that Scubagirl mentions. Maybe we can bring the good times back!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Are there any "local" bars close to the Comfort Suites or Atlantis - - we might hit one after we do the water park!

The Green Parrot is located in the Hurricane Hole Marina, (just to the east and behind the Police Station at the Bridge. It's a local spot for fisherman, workers and a few tourist who have found their way.

It's an open air bar / on the harbour

Ask around. It's worth it.

www.greenparrotbar.com

• 2 weeks later...

Can you tell me where these bars you mentioned are located? I found out where the Green Parrot is. What about these other bars? (The Bamboo, Cafe Flamingo, the Fish Fry, Cricket club and Iguana's). We are looking into walking distance of the pier for some fun and drinks. Hard Rock and Senor Frogs just won't do - too touristy.

Archived