QM2 - transporting household items (not luggage)

Shrubbie

Hi everyone - apologies for cross-posting - I've just realised that Cunard has its own forum, so I'm asking this question here as well as in "Ask A Cruise Question" forum. We've received some good ideas from that forum, but would still like to know if Cunard itself can assist.....

"This is my first post and it may be a slightly unusual question. We are two Aussies (well OK my DH is Scottish...) returning home to Sydney, Australia after 2.5 years working / living in NYC. We've chosen to cruise home on the QM2 leaving Ft Lauderdale on 13 January 2009. The reasons are obvious: see South America / Pacific etc and enjoy a 6 week holiday; no flying, no airports, no dramas! My job involved a lot of flying in the US and Canada, so to cruise home will be a luxury.

Now here is the unusual question which we tried to have answered by both Cunard and White Star Luggage Services(?): we would like to arrange to have our household goods and chattels (and clothes we won't be wearing on the cruise) shipped with us. Ie - kitchen items, pictures, ornaments, books, CD / DVDs etc packed into moving crates (no more than 5?) and taken to the ship and stowed in the hold. Does anyone know if this service is available? We are happy to pay the shipping costs, but it would so convenient to take everything with us and then have it offloaded in Sydney.

Are there customs issues with the above or must we still use a commericial shpping agent?"

Many thanks in advance.:)

Therese

stowed in the hold. Does anyone know if this service is available

No - the QM2 does not have a baggage master, unlike the QE2, where it might have been possible. You must take all your luggage into your stateroom - there is no limit (except the item weight limit of 30kg) - so rather depends on how big a stateroom you will be booking.......

We are travelling in AA - ina Brittania Club stateroom. And my husband has already said we are not having boxes stored there during the trip home! :o

I was hoping that the hold (or whatever its called) could be used.

Cheers

Therese

While the shoreside staff many times have no clue in a variety of areas, I would E-mail or call Cunard ... maybe World Club Desk directly. Ask up the line as needed. OR send President, Carol Marlow a letter and maybe something can be done for your special request. You know big companies... there are policies then the things they can actually do when a paying customer asks.

We are travelling in AA - ina Brittania Club stateroom. And my husband has already said we are not having boxes stored there during the trip home!

Its a standard sized balcony stateroom. You could fit two suitcases under each bed out of the way for storage - and you could unpack your clothes into the wardrobes.....but everything you bring onboard has to stay in your stateroom.

Its a standard sized balcony stateroom. You could fit two suitcases under each bed out of the way for storage - and you could unpack your clothes into the wardrobes.....but everything you bring onboard has to stay in your stateroom.

Except your dog or cat, of course.:D

• 5 weeks later...

It will be more expensive for you to use White Star than to use a freight service. Also White Star requires that everything be ready for pick up a couple of weeks before your sailing.

I'd use freight.

Archived