Alaska and luggage restrictions.

tabbycat1

We did a 12 day cruisetour and we each took a bag that (full) weighed about 47 pounds. Took two pairs of jeans, assorted tops, fleece vest, fleece jacket, warm up suit, etc. for day wear and took evening attire that was mix and match with similar colors. I basically stuck to only took black and white clothes for evening, so was able to mix up outfits with taking minimal clothes. I also cut back on shoes this way, which weigh more.

Also, since toiletries such as bottled shampoo are heavy, we did not take shampoos, lotions, etc. and used those in the hotels and provided on the ship. They were not my favorite brands, but it didn't kill me for twelve days.

Totally agree with taking one color scheme. I try and take mostly black and white items: jogging suits, tees, one pair jogging shoes, one pair black crocs...remember jeans are difficult to dry when wet, and are heavy in luggage. Wind suits/joggers....the nylon ones that are lined are great for Alaska. Don't take "your own shampoo, or conditioner, etc".....you will get all you need on your cruise or at the hotels. Hairdryers are furnished, as well as robes. Remember your clothes will seldom get dirty or soiled from perspiration.....so you can rewear most of you outer wear more than once. My formal wear: black slacks and two different sparkly tops. A pair of ballet flats. That's it. Keep it simple. gg

We just got back from a 7 night cruise and 2 nights in Anchorage. Two adults and one child with only carry on luggage--three overhead and two under the seats. It's very doable to take a little bit of clothing. First of all, pack for 1/2 the trip and use the self-service laundry. We packed a bunch of shirts from New Balance made for working out--lightweight, doesn't wrinkle, easy to roll and pack, and can be washed out in the sink if needed. We each had one pair of jeans (worn on the plane), one pair of track pants, one fleece jacket (worn on the plane), one rain jacket/pants (never worn--great weather), one fleece or lightweight sweatshirt. Then we packed clothes for the dining room that we never used b/c we enjoyed the Lido buffet--2 pairs of slacks and a few nice shirts for DH and DS, one very packable dress, one pair of slacks, few shirts and 2 thin sweaters for me (actually, I wore those with jeans for dinner). We each had lightweight day hikers, which we wore on the plane, and one other pair of casual shoes. Plus we had lots of books that we left along the way as we finished them.

I was too nervous about checking luggage and changing planes. DH just went on a business trip and did the same thing--carry on only.

It's amazing to me that you were able to go to Alaska for a whole week plus a couple days and take only carry-on. If there were three of you how did you get five carry-ons on the plane as you said a few in overhead and a couple under seat? I stopped taking our piece of luggage that carries the suits a couple years ago, we hate formal dining anyway but I still fill up one whole suitcase for me and one for DH. I do plan on taking a little less this year because I fear the scale and I also have told myself I am not stressing out over packing. I use to iron everything for me, DH and two older sons. No more, getting too old and too cranky. Wash, dry and fold and pack that's it except for a few things I will iron. I could never to one carryon though, they just aren't that big. However, after reading your post it has definitely motivated me to go much lighter. Wish I could convince my younger son (28) of that. You are amazing!!:D

And even if you will be on a ship without self serve laundry, all the lines have laundry service. As soon as you get on board with your dirty clothes from your land travel, send them to the laundry and you'll have them the next day, hopefully. And of course you can wash your undies in the sink with the shampoo provided on the ship.

How one has two carry ons per person is simple. You put your stuff into a carry on size (21"?) and the remainder in your one personal item. Instead of a woman carrying a purse, just put your meds, snacks, documents, 1 change of clothing in a flight bag. Wear your coat onto the plane and take it off and use as a pillow. It must have saved you a bunch of time not having to wait for baggage claim!

For formal nights, Is a sports jacket a necessity? I am packing one pair of dress slacks, a white shirt, and whatever tie I have lying around. I am also packing a pair of casual slacks, no jeans, with a couple of long-sleeve sports shirts for the so-called "casual" nights. Can I leave the coat behind?

Also, shoes. I am planning on just a single pair of running shoes with a "spare" pair of old casual slip-ons as a back up. As our excursions are going to be boat ride on Ketchikan, a helicopter glacier trip on Junea, and the train in Skagway, do you suggest the hiking boots or can I leave them behind as well?

Thank you!

For formal nights, Is a sports jacket a necessity? I am packing one pair of dress slacks, a white shirt, and whatever tie I have lying around. I am also packing a pair of casual slacks, no jeans, with a couple of long-sleeve sports shirts for the so-called "casual" nights. Can I leave the coat behind?

Also, shoes. I am planning on just a single pair of running shoes with a "spare" pair of old casual slip-ons as a back up. As our excursions are going to be boat ride on Ketchikan, a helicopter glacier trip on Junea, and the train in Skagway, do you suggest the hiking boots or can I leave them behind as well?

Thank you!

Thank you!

Yes, I think that a dark sports jacket or dark suit is necessary for formal nights. My DH takes a navy suit, one white shirt, and 2 ties. They all fit on one hanger. I would not take hiking boots. But, I would use the waterproof spray available at WalMart or any athletic store....to spray your shoes. gg

On the way back from our cruise (2 weeks ago), we weighed our luggage to make sure each was under 50lbs, and redistribute weight as needed. My husband determined that his formalwear weighed 22lbs alone! :eek: That is jacket, pants, shirt tie, and shoes. My husband happens to have a Barong (Filipino formalwear) and said next time he is wearing that! :)

I'd wear my hiking boots on the plane before leaving them behind :)

Pack old underwear and socks, enough for half the trip. Launder them after the first half of the trip and discard them during the second half. We also took old sneakers to wear on shore in Alaska, and threw them out when the trip was over. Take a nice pair of casual shoes to wear on board too.

Thank you!

You could rent a tux through the ship and not have to worry about packing a sport coat or suit. It has worked great for my hubby.

On our last three cruises my husband rented a tux from Cruiseline Formal. That takes care of him for formal nights. We solved the luggage concern, on the cruise we just returned from, by each checking in one big bag instead of two medium bags. I really hate doing that because I think two smaller ones are much easier to deal with, but I didn't want to each pay for a second bag. I really like dressing up for dinner on cruises so I don't see how we could have done it with only carry-on bags. The big bag also allowed for things we picked up on the trip.

Archived