Jeep/dune buggy rentals? Anybody done this?

hockeygal54

Has anybody had exp. with jeep/dune buggy rentals in Coz? This is surely the way to see what you wanna see! I did this many moons ago w/a guy on a scooter---we had a blast, there were 2 couples but the scooter broke down in the boonies and we relied upon a local with an old truck to haul us back to San Miguel! Thank God my "date" spoke Spanish!:o

We've rented Jeeps in Coz a few times, but they ask you not to take them off road. If you are looking to go to the northern most tip of the island, I would not take a rental up there in the sand. I don't think we were supposed to but we did go down to the southern end, theres a national park and lighthouse there.

It's a great way to see the island, we loved it every time. However, we've also been really lucky and had perfect weather each time, no rain... soft top jeeps. Wear a hat and sunscreen.

Scooters are a no-no now. Too dangerous because of increased traffic.

Jeeps all have their 4 wheel drive disabled. You can rent a VW bug from Rentadora Isis for around $35. Jeeps cost more.

Punta Sur is the south end lighthouse and beach. You pay $10 to drive to the lighthouse (if I remember right), and then pay an additional fee to get a ride in a truck to the beach/snorkel area.

Enjoy :D

Scooters are a no-no now. Too dangerous because of increased traffic.
Top Ten reasons to NOT rent a scooter in Cozumel

10. Taxi drivers trying to get as many people to as many destinations per hour as possible.

9. Mopeds do not have the power to accelerate out of a potentially dangerous situation.

8. Roads have occasional patches of gravel for no reason.

7. There are other tourists on scooters who don't know how to drive them.

6. Scooters have a short wheel base which makes them difficult to maneuver.

5. There are other tourists in rental cars who have just been to Carlos 'n' Charlie's.

4. Beautiful vistas take your breath away, as well as your attention off the road.

3. Most roads are one way, except when they're not.

2. Moped brakes are not always reliable.

1. Most north-south roads have the right-of-way, ...with some exceptions.

Jeeps all have their 4 wheel drive disabled. You can rent a VW bug from Rentadora Isis for around $35. Jeeps cost more.
Yep, just about all the rental Jeeps in Cozumel have had their 4 wheel drive shift linkage disconnected, so you couldn't shift into 4 wheel dive even if you wanted to do so. What ever you rent, get the full coverage insurance and stay on the paved roads.

Archived