Halifax and Peggy's Cove

Hoping someone can answer my husband's questions:

We will be docked in Halifax on Thurs August 21st (Carnival Victory). We would like to do the following: see Peggy's Cove, tour the Alexander Keith brewery and see the Maritime Museum.

1. Is it possible to do all of those while we are docked? (9am to 6pm)

2. How far is Peggy's Cove from Halifax?

3. Is it better to rent a car or take a taxi to do the above?

thanks

Hoping someone can answer my husband's questions:

We will be docked in Halifax on Thurs August 21st (Carnival Victory). We would like to do the following: see Peggy's Cove, tour the Alexander Keith brewery and see the Maritime Museum.

1. Is it possible to do all of those while we are docked? (9am to 6pm)

2. How far is Peggy's Cove from Halifax?

3. Is it better to rent a car or take a taxi to do the above?

thanks

I can answer some of your questions.

1. It's possible but it may be rushed. Hard to say whether you can do it all because don't know how long it would take at the museum and the brewery. Both are within walking distance of the pier.

2. Peggy's Cove would be almost an hour drive each way. It's about 30 miles or 50 kilometers.

3. I would think that a rental car would be better due to the distance. There are several fairly close to the pier. 5 minute walk for Alamo, National and Hertz and about 8 minutes for Budget.

We are just off the Victory five day. I would definitely go to Peggy's Cove - There were signs inside the terminal for taxis to Peggy's cove etc... if you didn't want to drive. We did the ships tour ($51) and it was great - except I would have loved more time at Peggy's Cove...could have spent all day there! Great chowder and ginger bread (with icecream) at the Southwester (sp??).

As for the maritime museum...we spent about 45 minutes...were not that impressed although the Titanic stuff was interesting... If you wait until 4:30 ship's time (5:30 local time) you can get free entry into the museum... IMHO that's enough time to view the Titanic exhibit and head back to the ship...

If you do the 9:45 ship's tour, you'll be back in time to have lunch on the ship and still have time to go out and explore Halifax. The water front is great!

If you rent a car...you'll have no problem getting to Peggy's Cove, and you may never want to leave!!!!

Archived