Cemetery Beach

czexrus

We are planning on going to Cemetery Beach next week from the Inspiration.

Is this safe to take 7 year old to snorkel?

What about depth of water? I'mhoping we can rent a life jacket?

What about stepping on the ground?

Also, the stingrays? i see someone posted some awesome pics, do you have to be careful of them?

Also what type of food source do you take with you?

We took our 9 year old grandson snorkeling at Cemetery Reef and he did fine but it is not an easy snorkel. There are no facilities there so you would have to see if you could rent a vest in town before you head out there. We took a couple of the little 1/2 size inflatable rafts that we got at the dollar store and they helped a lot. The reef is pretty far out and getting back to shore was hard. If I do it again I will rent fins. You will see some fish as soon as you get in the water because they are used to being fed there.

I hope this helps!

Enjoy!

What do you mean by difficult to get back to shore? Currents?

i plan on renting the gear with lifejacket included right at Eden Rock then walking down to Cemetery Beach.

What about the stingrays? I keep thinking of the "crocodile hunter!!"

I think it might be about about an 8 mile walk each way to Cemetery Beach. I took the bus.

Stingrays are not at all aggressive and have no offensive capability - the barb is only for defense. Besides, Steve Irwin was killed by a different variety of stingray and he had to be doing something careless.

I wasn't the least bit concerned by seeing a stingray or two and they were probably in about 20 feet of water, so highly unlikely you would step on one.

If you are lucky, you might even see some turtles.

Yes - the currents made the swim back in a little difficult.

As mentioned - you can not walk to Cemetery from Eden Rock.

I am not at all afraid of stingrays. We didn't see any at Cemetery beach but we did see one while we were snorkeling by our condo and it was so great to just lay there and watch him for awhile.

I hope this helps!

Enjoy!

• 2 months later...

Cemetery Beach is awesome for swimming. There is a "rocky" reef area but it is not large and it isn't right when you get in. It's nice and sandy!!!

when we went off the inspiration, we were the ONLY family there!!!! just make sure you get your gear at Eden Rock before you catch a ride to Cemetery Beach. Have fun!!!

Archived