Victoria (evening) ideas?

KAWS

We're in Victoria from 7 pm - midnight. I've only ever done day excursions so find this to be a bit of a strange port time.

Any ideas as to what others have done for excursions here? I've seen horse drawn trolleys and ghost tours but neither thrill me much. Any other ideas?

We're in Victoria from 7 pm - midnight. I've only ever done day excursions so find this to be a bit of a strange port time.

Any ideas as to what others have done for excursions here? I've seen horse drawn trolleys and ghost tours but neither thrill me much. Any other ideas?

Take the ship's tour to Butchart Gardens. Compared to taxis the tour price is right, and Butchart is magnificent.

I live in Victoria, so if you tell me the date you will be here I will let you know of any special events - there is usually some festival going on! Buchart Gardens is certainly beautiful and always worth a visit. Whale watching is wonderful as well depending on when you are here. The Victoria harbour is really beautiful and just strolling the harbour with the legislature buildings lit up and lots of street buskers is a treat (and free if you are watching your pennies at the end of your cruise). The harbour is an easy 15 minute walk or about a $5 taxi ride.

Ann

I live in Victoria, so if you tell me the date you will be here I will let you know of any special events - there is usually some festival going on! Buchart Gardens is certainly beautiful and always worth a visit. Whale watching is wonderful as well depending on when you are here. The Victoria harbour is really beautiful and just strolling the harbour with the legislature buildings lit up and lots of street buskers is a treat (and free if you are watching your pennies at the end of your cruise). The harbour is an easy 15 minute walk or about a $5 taxi ride.

Ann

Hello Ann, I am cruising with my elderly parents. We have all been to Victoria many years ago. Wonderful memories.

The one thing I want to do is go to Bartholomew's Pub in the Executive House as my married name is Bartholomew. I am hoping to purchase several items with thier logo on them, shirts, mugs, etc. for my husband, sons and my in-laws.

So, my question is, is there a shuttle that leaves from the pier to Bartholomew's and back to the pier? Is a taxi the better way to go?

Do you know if they have items for purchased like I am hoping for?

Are there any wineries within shuttle or taxi distance from the pier? If so, can you give me information about them?

Thank you for your time. jannyb

Hi Jannyb;

Sorry to say that Bartholomew's no longer sells any branded products.

It's a good 20-25 minute walk from the terminal, so I would recommend that you take a taxi (probably no more than about $6).

There are a couple of wineries in fairly close proximity to town. The largest is Church and State Winery. You can look up their website to see if they are open during the time/date you will be in port. It's probably about a $25 taxi each way. You may also want to look at Crush Wine Tours, and see if they can arrange something for you.

Ann

Hi Jannyb;

Sorry to say that Bartholomew's no longer sells any branded products.

It's a good 20-25 minute walk from the terminal, so I would recommend that you take a taxi (probably no more than about $6).

There are a couple of wineries in fairly close proximity to town. The largest is Church and State Winery. You can look up their website to see if they are open during the time/date you will be in port. It's probably about a $25 taxi each way. You may also want to look at Crush Wine Tours, and see if they can arrange something for you.

Ann

I was hoping to get some early Christmas presents out of the way. I guess they'll just have to get a picture of me drinking an Ale at Bartholomew's!

I will check out the winery. Thank you for that info.

jannyb

i am wondering what to do in victoria also. i have checked the internet for the carriage rides but i think $50 for a 15 minute ride is way too much. so i will check into other options or stay on the ship. a nice cold beer in one of the bars does sound good though.

i am wondering what to do in victoria also. i have checked the internet for the carriage rides but i think $50 for a 15 minute ride is way too much. so i will check into other options or stay on the ship. a nice cold beer in one of the bars does sound good though.

If you want to do your own pub crawl thing there is the Sticky Wicket in the Strathcona Hotel, Bartholomew's in Executive House, Hugo's in the Magnolia, Irish Times on Government, and Darcy's Wharfside Pub on Wharf St. All are just a short walk from the Empress Hotel and on a nice evening you an enjoy the buskers at the Inner Harbour in front of the Empress.:)

If you want to do your own pub crawl thing there is the Sticky Wicket in the Strathcona Hotel, Bartholomew's in Executive House, Hugo's in the Magnolia, Irish Times on Government, and Darcy's Wharfside Pub on Wharf St. All are just a short walk from the Empress Hotel and on a nice evening you an enjoy the buskers at the Inner Harbour in front of the Empress.:)

i cruise solo and am very comfortable doing things on my own so this sounds great too me, but what are '' buskers ''?

i cruise solo and am very comfortable doing things on my own so this sounds great too me, but what are '' buskers ''?

Buskers are street entertainers like mimes, magicians, musicians, jugglers and alike. On summer and early fall evenings you will find quite a collection of them preforming for donations at the inner harbour. Here is link for your convenience:

http://causewayartists.ca/welcome.html

If you're a beer person, Victoria has tremendous breweries and most local establishments carry the 'local stuff'. I would highly recommend Swans and Spinnikers (both brewpubs) over Bart's, Darcy's or Irish Times.

If you're a beer person, Victoria has tremendous breweries and most local establishments carry the 'local stuff'. I would highly recommend Swans and Spinnikers (both brewpubs) over Bart's, Darcy's or Irish Times.

I would agree very much but Spinnikers does require a cab and Swans is on the cusp of needing a cab whereas the others are all walkable and close to one another. Stagger on!:D

I would agree very much but Spinnikers does require a cab and Swans is on the cusp of needing a cab whereas the others are all walkable and close to one another. Stagger on!:D

The harbour ferry will take you straight from Fisherman's wharf (just over 1/4 mile from Odgen Point cruise terminal) or the coast hotel to Spinniker's (right near the Songhees ferry stop) http://www.victoriaharbourferry.com/schedules-routes.html From the cruise ship to any of the downtown pubs (Bart's would be closest), you're looking at just under a mile to walk. Cabs will be a zoo at the cruise dock, and if you just hightail it out by foot to the harbour ferry dock, you'll beat the rush.

Having lived (and consumed much beer) in the 25+ years I lived there, I can assure you it's worth the effort to get to Spinny's or Swan's versus a lot of the other pubs if you're a beer person.

For Putterdude and Scottbee (and sorry to hijack the thread).....

Have either of you been to the Beer Fest in Victoria? I have two brothers who go every year. My sister-in-law and I take turns driving them to and from the event (although the driving FROM is a lot more interesting than the driving TO if you know what I mean :D ).

http://www.gcbf.com/

Have either of you been to the Beer Fest in Victoria? I have two brothers who go every year. My sister-in-law and I take turns driving them to and from the event (although the driving FROM is a lot more interesting than the driving TO if you know what I mean :D ).

I am familiar with the beerfest but no I have have never been....I couldn't consume that much beer but my son used to work at the Strath and attended regularly.:D

You bet, it's very very good, and give you a chance to taste a lot of the region brews.

• 2 weeks later...

We stayed at the hotel for several days last year and were treated wonderfully by everyone. Possibly it's because they recognized us from being in the restaurant/pub so often! The food was excellent and so was the beverage. Enjoy! ;)

Diana

Just there the night before last on the Infinity. We

Had wine on the aft deck with our friends. A very nice warm evening for a change but after the sun went down it got cool pretty quickly.

Folks returning from town advise the Harbour is as beautiful as ever and several I spoke with enjoyed the Butchart Gardens. All is well in Victoria it seems.

Archived