Body Glove Cruises & The POA

raider23

I have read others stating that they were able to use their entertainment coupon (2 for 1) for Body Glove . When I tried to make reservations I was told I could only book through POA shore excursions. Can anyone help?

Thanks, raider23

I also had difficulty in booking the Body Glove Snorkel trip directly. Seems there is some monopolistic agreement between the two companies that they will not book cruise people directly. When I called back a few days later, I refused to identify where I was staying or how I was getting to the pier and they booked me, although I am sure they were suspicious since they asked me several times if I was on the cruise.

I have to agree. It would be one thing if Body Glove sold all of their spaces to POA for resale because then the tickets would be sold and that's that. I do not believe it is anyone's business where I am staying or how I am travelling. And that is precisely what I would tell Body Glove, "Sorry but that's not relevant to my reservation. Here's my cell phone number in case you need to contact me beforehand."

I wonder if that can be called "discrimination." As far as I know, a business can't refuse to sell you a ticket based on your mode of travel. Can they? I can just see it now: "We can't sell you that pineapple because you are driving rather then taking the bus." Don't think that would go over too well.

beachchick

OK so I called back today & told them I was staying at a hotel & was able to reserve a spot. Yesterday I called twice the first time I made the mistake of telling them we were on POA the second I didnt say & both times were told all spots are for cruise ship excursions ony. I am now able to use my 2 for 1 coupon! The lady I spoke to today did tell me that a cruise ship is in town & we would be going with them. :rolleyes:

raider 23

I'm not sure if it's actually illegal per se but I'm sure that the companies that contract with NCL have a clause in their contract that they're not allowed to book passengers that are on the cruise line directly with them. I'm sure that if it was allowed, they would MUCH rather have you book directly with them since they'll get a much larger portion of your money than using the cruiseline as a middleman. Potentially, they might risk losing the contract with NCL if it's determined that they allowed cruise ship passengers to book directly with them. Still, that's the price they pay for having the contract.

Spleen

Illegal? -Maybe.

Good for Customers- Definitely Not!

I am certain that there is some sort of contractual agreement which restricts Body Glove from booking cruise passengers directly. I was not a party to the agreement. Nowhere have I signed away my rights as a consumer.

If the agreement was that there would be no other customers allowed on Body Glove other than the Cruise line when they are in port, then I could understand. This would be similar to a restaurant closing for a private reception. The fact is, it is not closed to outside business. If you are staying at a hotel or are a local, you can book the tour and can even book at a discount. If you book through a third party, you are also not restricted.

If NCL wants an exclusive agreement with a tour operator, then they should purchase the whole tour. Cruise passengers still have the right to negotiate just as any other consumer. On the plus side, NCL is only screwing passengers for one extra dollar over the published standard rate. However, this is at least $10-$94 more than most/all consumers pay by taking advantage of well known discounts.

I happened across my friend at Walmart yesterday who does the video and photos for the Body Glove, though he is independent and doesn't work "for" Body Glove. He's done it for YEARS though. I told him about this controversy and he said that NCL apparently gets upset if they sell to the cruise passengers independently but he was under the opinion that the people on Body Glove were in turn getting upset with NCL, saying "We booked these customers 3 months ago and had no idea they were cruise passengers" etc.

I say if you are willing to tell an untruth...Tell them you are staying at a local hotel....like the Seaside or Uncle Billy's or Kona Surf or Royal Kona....and give them your cell number... who's to know??

By the way....he has just put up a website. It is thinkona.com but I looked and there isn't much on it yet. Apparently you will be able to purchase your pictures from the website once you get home...cool!!

On another note, he was saying people were coming off the Pride of Aloha ready to stab themselves not to have to get back on and telling them they had better food (sandwiches etc) than they were getting on the ship. I told him that the reviews the last few weeks were MUCH better and things seem to be coming around. He was very happy to hear that. At first when they were telling them this, he thought they had to be kidding but quickly realized they were not.

Emi

I didn't use Body Glove on our trip, we used Fair Winds (I think I have it straight now Emi), and had a great time. The guide books and other advise we received while we were planning say the snorkeling in better on this tour, and I can't dispute that after what we saw!

So avoid the "business politics" and go with Fair Winds! They don't have any agreement with NCL, and their tour was a highlight of our recent trip.

We just got back Sunday from the POA and did the Body Glove tour. I had the entertainment coupont and e-mailed them and tried to use it. I was told e-mailed back and told that the tour was sold out due to the ship tour. I waited a couple of days and called them directly and did not mention the ship and made the reservation via the phone and used the coupon with no trouble. The boat holds a little over 100 people and was only 60 - 75% full. The excursion itself is okay. The boat goes very slow to the snorkle sight which is VERY CLOSE to where the boat is. Their crew is nice and the snorkeling is good. Have a great trip.

I just booked the Body Glove snorkel trip without a problem for 01/06/2005. I wasn't asked where I was staying, but I strongly implied that I was arriving that morning by plane (Hawaiian Airlines has regular early morning flights arrive by 6A), so that the question wouldn't be asked and simply stated we wanted to get an early start. While it's not completely honest, it does allow for me to use the Entertainment Book coupon, with this tour being one of the reasons why I purchased the book. I was asked for my cell phone number, however. I was never told that there was a cruise ship in port or that passengers from the cruise ship would be on the tour.

Tom,

I'm looking forward to the trip and have staked out the EB coupons I'm interested in. I've already booked Germaine's Luau in Honolulu using their coupon and am planning on booking the Atlantis Submarine for Maui today. I opted for Germaine's mainly because my sister-in-law enjoyed it very much, and she's hard to please. Thus, I figure it must be good.

What are you doing in the other ports? We booked the Hawaii Movie Tour (4x4 option) for Kauai, and are considering fern grotto for the short day, although that tour doesn't show available through NCL right now. I wanted to "tube the ditch" but the wife really wants to see Fern Grotto.

I'm pleased that the reviews are improving and can't wait to get there. Only a few (10 or so) more weeks.

Just to let you all know right across the street from where the Body Glove excursion is there is "UFO Parasail". They are also in the entertainment book and we had a lot of fun parasailing with them. Book in advance, they fill up.... Have fun.

jkrislc, the Fern Grotto is not what it is cracked up to be! I certainly wouldn't pay for a shore excursion to see it! The first time I saw it was 30 years ago and it was better then, than it is now since the Hurricane went through a few years ago. It's pretty, yes, but really just a tourist "trap."

There are so many other beautiful places on Kauai to see, it is a shame to waste your little time ashore going to this. Sorry, this is just my opinion but I simply had to express it!

jkrislc,

We are not completely sure yet on all the excursions, tentatively this is our plan:

Oahu - We are doing the Polynesian Cultural Center Luau.

Kauai - Possibly a helicopter tour and then a self guided tour with rental car.

Hilo - Rental car for Volcano National Park.

Kona - Body Glove snorkeling

Maui - Molokini snorkeling trip and ???.

We are still looking for suggestions on Kauai and Maui. Also really trying to figure out New Years Eve in Waikiki.

Tom

jkrislc, the Fern Grotto is not what it is cracked up to be!

I had heard that, cctexan. However, it is something my wife wants to do and since it's the short day in Kauai, I don't want to rush to do it myself.

Thanks for your input, though.

Archived