Scuba Training

Hi everyone

I took a discover dive this past year and loved it. I'm now investigating getting trained before our next cruise but have run into a dilemma. There is no PADI center in my city. The nearest PADI center is a 2.5 hour (one way) drive away. The YMCA here offers SCUBA classes and in the end you have a "C" card with ACUC. My question is: how widely recognized would this be? Taking the class here would certainly be more convenient ( and less costly ) or should I suck it up and look specifically at a PADI center because of the better recognition? Any responses and thoughts more than welcome on this!!!

Warren

With the price of gas these days I would suggest doing it close to home. You can always get a PADI card later if you like. I found the information below on the web. Hope it helps! Good luck with the training.

If you choose, though it isn't necessary, once you receive your ACUC Certification you can apply to PADI for a continuing education course leading to a PADI certification, as both PADI and ACUC are WRSTC members (see WRSTC) and we recognise each other certifications.

The other option is to do your dive certification training on your next cruise, several ships offer dive shops and training onboard. RCCLs Freedom and Voyager class ships all offer dive training through PADI. You might even be able to get the certification through ACUC and then do an advanced open water certification through PADI.

You're definitely going to want to end up with a PADI certification- the ACUC won't be recognized in most resort areas or cruise ports.

However, the previous poster had a good idea....find out what has to be done to convert your ACUC cert to a PADI cert. Maybe you can do the ACUC course to get the bulk of the work done, then just follow it up with 1 trip down to your PADI center to finish that up. That would save you some time and money.

I don't have any experience with the certification courses on any of the cruise lines. I just wonder if you really get the instruction/attention you need. My experience with our local dive shop was really positive- I'm sure some of that is because they're hoping to form a lasting client relationship with you. If you've had a good experience, you're more likely to come there/buy stuff/book a dive trip with them.

Good luck!

The YMCA here offers SCUBA classes and in the end you have a "C" card with ACUC. My question is: how widely recognized would this be? Warren

A C card from any recognized scuba agency will be sufficient to dive. I have C cards from PADI, SSI, NAUI & YMCA and have never had any kind of problem using any of them. The course offered by the YMCA in the US is among the most highly regarded scuba card you can get by many of the older long term divers.

A YMCA C card, a test and about $30.00 if done at the same time is all it takes to get a PADI open water card in the US.

Call PADI and ask if they do the same with ACUC.

If it's a recognized certifying authority, that's all you need. I have one PADI card, and a fistful from NASE. I've only ever shown the NASE cards, and no one has questioned them, even before they had pictures. (oops, just aged myself there)

Don't forget NAUI - that's another popular one.

The really important part is that you feel comfortable with your instructor.

As you continue your traning, you can get assorted cards if you like.

Welcome to the addiction!

Wendy

dive pix

http://community.webshots.com/user/wendyandkeith

I have seen people show up with all kinds of different certification cards. Dive operators have given funny looks but if you say that it is the same training, if not better than PADI, SSI, etc. they let you dive. Especially if you point out that ACUC follows the World Recreational Scuba Training Council (WRSTC).

One of the guys I work with is ACUC. They actually exceed the training required by WRSTC. So you will get better training with ACUC then you might with a PADI shop.

So long as the dive operator knows you have WRSTC or equivalent training they are fine. Just knowing that PADI follows WRSTC shows them you know what you are talking about. :)

Archived