Room Safes in Barcelona

Thank you everyone for your wonderful assistance planning our first trip to Europe on our exciting cruise. We are leaving in a few weeks and will be staying at Hotel Continental in Barcelona for 4 nights prior to boarding the ship. We plan on leaving our extra Euros, traveler’s checks and copies of our passport in the room safe. Has anyone ever read any negative comments regarding this hotel room’s safes? Also is it best to leave the original passport in the room safe with a copy on us in our money belt or reverse?

All of your expert advice has been so appreciative,

DGK

Even in USA Hotels there is always a slight risk with a room safe. If you want to be even more safe (no pun attended) you could leave your items in a safe behind the front desk. With that said, in all our years of travel we have never had a problem with the safes in the room. I highly recommend that you not walk around Barcelona (and for that matter any port) with your original passports for fear they could be stolen or lost. And Barcelona is one of those places where passports are stolen. Just take copies with you when you tour Barcelona. While we enjoy Barcelona be careful for your valuables in Barcelona. I take one credit card, and some money with me and I place it in a wallet around my neck and underneath my shirt. And, when you walk around just look around you as you might do in any large city whether it be in the USA or anywhere else.

Keith

Thanks Keith for your great advice. Has anyone ever had problems with stuff missing from Hotel Continental in Barcelona ?

DGK

Are you staying at the Hotel Continental Las Ramblas? Or the other Hotel Continental, Placete or something like that?

I stayed at the Las Ramblas one 2 years ago for 2 nights pre-cruise. We used the in room safe and didn't have any problems at all. The safe was located inside the nightstand next to the bed. Easy to use and program and didn't have any problems what so ever.

Archived